+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The World at War - being shown again on BBC2

The World at War - being shown again on BBC2

One of the Great documentaries about World War Two.

If you've never seen it before it is superb.

Just started today.

First Team

Re: The World at War - being shown again on BBC2

The start and end graphics scared me to death as a kid.
    Was it Olivier who narrates, what a voice.

It's great no doubt. Been on loads though.

Switch over to C4 on the other hand to see Rachel Riley in a painted on dress that makes it impossible to concentrate on any other figure.

It's a good idea preparing the young 'uns for World War 3. I'm going to be putting my name down for the home guard, someone has to take care of all the lonely ladies left back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 14:42
    The start and end graphics scared me to death as a kid.
    Yes Olivier was the narrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Boredoffootball wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 14:42
    It's great no doubt. Been on loads though.
    There is a good youtube clip of her in a black leather / pvc dress.

I've got the DVD set.
    Still watch odd episodes when I come across them.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 16:49
    I've got the DVD set.
    B 2 B.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 16:54
    I've got the DVD set.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 16:49
    Still watch odd episodes when I come across them.
    Not surprised you come across DVD's of Ms Riley.

Great series! What's really good about it is that a lot of important people who were big players in the war, like Mountbatten and Albert Speer were still alive and took part in the series. The episode regarding Stalingrad is a must watch for anyone who doesn't realise the brutality of it and how it was the turning point of WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Miethig wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 17:38
    Great series! What's really good about it is that a lot of important people who were big players in the war, like Mountbatten and Albert Speer were still alive and took part in the series. The episode regarding Stalingrad is a must watch for anyone who doesn't realise the brutality of it and how it was the turning point of WW2.
    BBC 2 1.50 pm weekdays.

As they lie in their graves in the four corners of the World, they must be thinking of the Britain of today,Was it all worth it ?

Personally I think it's the best documentary series ever made.

I remember watching it as a young lad in the early 70's and I've had a fascination with Hitler's Germany ever since.

Mountbatten's wife was having it off with an Indian fella when he was the Viceroy of all India.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 18:56
    Mountbatten's wife was having it off with an Indian fella when he was the Viceroy of all India.
    I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 19:58
    Jinha I think leader of the Muslim League ?
    Was the fella who took over Louis's job. You could say he had it all

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 20:53
    I may be wrong.
    Nehru , then. Leader of Congress ( Himdhu ).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 20:58
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 20:53
    I may be wrong.
    Was the fella who took over Louis's job. You could say he had it all
    Who is the other fella? Did she get around a lot then?

Checked it out. It was Nehru who became the first Prime Minister of India after Indian Independence.

The Mountbattens stayed on as he became Governor General.

The affair between Edwina and Nehru was an open secret but she died suddenly in
    mysterious circumstances in 1960 a bit like Diana.

Her hubbie blown up by the IRA a few decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 22:10
    Checked it out. It was Nehru who became the first Prime Minister of India after Indian Independence.
    Yes, just checked and they got her body back from Borneo and to the bottom of the ocean off Portsmouth pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninianman wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 18:47
    As they lie in their graves in the four corners of the World, they must be thinking of the Britain of today,Was it all worth it ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 18:56
    Personally I think it's the best documentary series ever made.
    was it the very first episode shown tonight as i will series link it

Yeah looks like the first episode was on yesterday. Can't see it repeated anywhere. It's available on iplayer though. Looks s great series. Will record the rest. Cheers OP.