+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: From the outside, looking in

From the outside, looking in

I'm currently living away, so have had the misfortune (or fortune, whichever way you want to look at it), of not being able to get to games since Christmas. Although, I have been kept updated via. this forum and social networks etc.

I find the calls for Slade's head barbaric. Wales Online have used the whole affair as a massive marketing ploy since Tan's 'reign' began at the club, and reading their questions to Slade in press conferences is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
    '81% of fans who voted in the survey said you should not be given more time. How do you react to that?'

I know Slade is far from being Jose Mourinho, but why insult the man with questions like this? A total embarrassment on their behalf on what I regard as poor journalism. What do they expect him to say?

The team Slade inherited was not good enough to fight for a place in the Premier League. You can tell by their performances before Christmas that half of them don't want to play for Cardiff City. It is the most lightweight midfield I have ever seen. Our hard man, the Icelandic Warrior that is Gunnarsson is non-existent, and since his operation hasn't taken a throw in. Pure brute of a man.

In the same sense our forwards, despite him being our top goalscorer, Kenwyne's work rate was dire from what I've seen before Xmas and in highlights here and there. Yes he gets the odd goal as his experience and size should, but the defensive aspect of his game is poor.

I'm not here to blow Slade's trumpet because his results have been dire, no denying that. But the blame is not entirely his. This club is in need of stability and rejuvination. Mackay accomplished this, and Slade needs to emmulate because there is a lot of names in this squad who don't deserve to stay. The midfield needs buffing up and that starts in the centre. Whittingham, from what I've seen, is good from a dead ball as we all know, but in a midfield two, he can't do it.

Slade's inherited side was not good, and he can't be blamed for that. The squad's conditioning was not good, and he can't be blamed for that. Out of his depth, I don't think so to the extent many go for, but there are a good few players in that squad who need replacing.

What a state of affairs. We should never have had the expectations to bounce back up like we did.

Re: From the outside, looking in

Are you Baker in disguise ?

Jones is on a respectable number of goals for a striker in a struggling side and is probably our best
    defender from set pieces.

Gunnarson has been taking throws for a while too.

YOU ARE A WIND UP MAN AND I CLAIM MY £100 - if not you are a knob.

Defending corners, fair enough. But there's more to a strikers defending duties than that. Thanks for your kind words though.

"We should never have had the expectations to bounce back up like we did."
    3 passes strung together in the opposition`s half and a shot on target every now and then would at least offer ME a glimmer of light to latch on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 22:31
    Defending corners, fair enough. But there's more to a strikers defending duties than that. Thanks for your kind words though.
    As BlueWales says, Gunnar has been exciting us (!) with his long throws again for ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 22:31
    By the way, if you haven't seen us since Christmas then you probably don't realise just how poor we've been of late. The game against Brighton was just about as bad as it gets.

My point exactly. He doesn't do enough for me to be a lead striker. I haven't liked him as a forward from day one. Not my type of footballer, but perhaps others think differently. Not mobile enough in my opinion and problems start from his lack of defending at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 23:06
    My point exactly. He doesn't do enough for me to be a lead striker. I haven't liked him as a forward from day one. Not my type of footballer, but perhaps others think differently. Not mobile enough in my opinion and problems start from his lack of defending at the top.
    He's never going to be a Bellamy type of player, constantly harrying the defence. But at the end of the day he scores goals, and without his goals we'd probably be down in the bottom three.

jones seemed to do plenty of chasing down up top in our last game.

watching our 'highlights' really wont give you much insight into the team, but thanks for guessing

Quote Originally Posted by skewblue wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 23:13
    jones seemed to do plenty of chasing down up top in our last game.
    You're right, that's why I specified. But based on results I don't think I'm far off. Worst side I've seen in a while and there's no denying what I've said in terms of people stealing a living in that squad.

oh i agree we are dreadful! but the worst factor is there is no heart in the team. thats what is killing it for me

Quote Originally Posted by skewblue wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 23:29
    oh i agree we are dreadful! but the worst factor is there is no heart in the team. thats what is killing it for me
    Exactly, easy to blame the manager. He's not Jose Mourinho like I said, but he's not a miracle worker either. Not as straight forward and easy as some think. What is the message from Tan? Nobody knows. Cost cutting? Not easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 23:45
    Quote Originally Posted by skewblue wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 23:29
    Exactly, easy to blame the manager. He's not Jose Mourinho like I said, but he's not a miracle worker either. Not as straight forward and easy as some think. What is the message from Tan? Nobody knows. Cost cutting? Not easy.
    In the Brighton game, one of our players was looking to cross the ball from about 10 yards from the by line ( a rarity in itself ) and Kenwynne was WALKING into the box. It's just not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 22:22
    I'm currently living away, so have had the misfortune (or fortune, whichever way you want to look at it), of not being able to get to games since Christmas. Although, I have been kept updated via. this forum and social networks etc.
    My belief is that a poor manager was brought in to head up a very poor coaching team and the players are not totally stupid. They are probably hoping for a move away or at the very least a change of manager to someone who immediately has the respect of the dressing room

Quote Originally Posted by DubaiDai wrote on Tue, 17 February 2015 08:11
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff2012 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2015 22:22
    I find the calls for Slade's head barbaric. Wales Online have used the whole affair as a massive marketing ploy since Tan's 'reign' began at the club, and reading their questions to Slade in press conferences is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.
    But the reality is, where our squad is, and the lack of depth that exists is that yes, the squad wasn't good enough. Players look fantastic on paper but have underperformed.