+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lowest league crowd at the CCS for almost 5 years

Lowest league crowd at the CCS for almost 5 years

Last night's official attendance of 19,057 was the lowest crowd for a Championship match at the Cardiff City Stadium since Wednesday 24th March, 2010. The opposition on that occasion were Sheffield United. That game also ended in a 1-1 draw and was watched by a crowd of 18,715.

Reports from some of those at the game last night suggest that the actual gate at the CCS was far lower than the officially-announced figure. It's now clear that the return to a blue kit home kit has not had a particularly positive effect on attendances. Whether it will have a positive effect on season ticket renewals remains to be seen.

Re: Lowest league crowd at the CCS for almost 5 years

Champions league football, cold Tuesday night, half term, football of late being dire are all factors in reducing the crowd.

If we keep playing like we did with more on confidence then we will get back to having 19k actually inside the stadium.

Goes to show that some of our fans are not that loyal really.Some only follow when the team are doing well and the colour of the kit has little to do with it.Pity because the fans who did attend saw a good game that had a good atmosphere from the people who were there.

Work commitments can also dictate mid week games attendances, working away, shifts etc, not everyone does a 9-5

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Socks wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:06
    Work commitments can also dictate mid week games attendances, working away, shifts etc, not everyone does a 9-5
    True but that never effected things before.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 08:50
    Last night's official attendance of 19,057 was the lowest crowd for a Championship match at the Cardiff City Stadium since Wednesday 24th March, 2010. The opposition on that occasion were Sheffield United. That game also ended in a 1-1 draw and was watched by a crowd of 18,715.
    From the photos posted on here the crowd looked no where near 19,057.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:08
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Socks wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:06
    True but that never effected things before.
    The club is having it's worst season for a decade. Season 2004/05 turned out to be nine months of a relegation slog when the mess Sam Hammam had got us in first became clear. Since then, apart from last season's relegation, it's been pretty much plain sailing on the pitch at least, so it seems perfectly natural to me that gates this season would be the lowest for a long time.

Shocking , people can make all the excuses they want but at end of the day your team needs your support even more when things not good.

After the recent dross we've been served up after my journey home from town, the thought of getting changed, getting back in the car and going back out wasn't very appealing. In fact I overheard a group of blokes in the concourse saying it felt like a trip to the dentist.

In the end, I was glad I went. Both sides played some good stuff.

I don't know why they bother announcing the attendance, nowhere near 19,000 and just brought a collective guffaw.

It was described to me by my son walking up to the stadium that it was like going to school - you don't want to but you have to.

What was the real attendance (estimate)?

It will not get any better unless we ALL get behind the team. Time for us to show our TRUE COLOURS.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:29
    What was the real attendance (estimate)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:29
    It was described to me by my son walking up to the stadium that it was like going to school - you don't want to but you have to.
    I went to watch the car crash and was pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:04
    Goes to show that some of our fans are not that loyal really.Some only follow when the team are doing well and the colour of the kit has little to do with it.Pity because the fans who did attend saw a good game that had a good atmosphere from the people who were there.
    I think most people knew that, except for a few who had visions of every game being sold out purely off the back of reverting to blue.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 08:50
    Its only a colour.

Take away the fact that the official attendance is clearly false, I think, given the dross served up throughout the entire season, 19,000+ is a pretty decent turn out.

The colour issue is/was far less significant than the performances.

Sad but true.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:23
    Fair play, it must have been even worse than I imagined recently if last night's effort is seen as a big improvement. Matt Murray was doing the game for Sky's Soccer Special programme and he regularly reported that it was a poor-quality contest between two sides who were cancelling each other out. He said he couldn't see where a goal was going to come from, although admittedly I turned off with about 20 minutes to go so maybe it was an exciting finish.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:30
    It will not get any better unless we ALL get behind the team. Time for us to show our TRUE COLOURS.
    When has that ever happened in Cardiff City's history? Some take a broader view of the club and take things like finances into account when gauging it's health and it must be said that there was a virtually unique reason behind why some stopped going to games at Cardiff in recent years, but, when push comes to shove, it's always how a team is doing on the pitch that influences attendances. Cardiff City have been just like any other club down the years in that regard except that their fans have, if anything, been quicker to jump ship when things start going wrong than those at many other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:45
    Fair play, it must have been even worse than I imagined recently if last night's effort is seen as a big improvement. Matt Murray was doing the game for Sky's Soccer Special programme and he regularly reported that it was a poor-quality contest between two sides who were cancelling each other out. He said he couldn't see where a goal was going to come from, although admittedly I turned off with about 20 minutes to go so maybe it was an exciting finish.
    1000 times better than that.

Perhaps if you had gone then you could have made a subjective opinion rather than rely on hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 10:04
    Perhaps if you had gone then you could have made a subjective opinion rather than rely on hearsay.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluteus Maximus wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:40
    Quote Originally Posted by valley boy wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 09:04
    I think most people knew that, except for a few who had visions of every game being sold out purely off the back of reverting to blue.
    If we had stayed in red there would have been a whole lot less last night.

No way there was more than 17k there.

While last night was not the best the improvement was immense which shows how desperately poor it has been.