+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RACISM

RACISM

Look, until we know what people understand by the term'racist' or racism we will never know who is - actually - racist.

SO - what is racism exactly? WHO ARE THE RACISTS?

Dictionary definitions cannot help us here- we must decide.

SO - what is racism?

Maybe too late to discuss tonight - speak tomorrow.

Re: RACISM

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:42
    Look, until we know what people understand by the term'racist' or racism we will never know who is - actually - racist.

usain bolt is one, paula radcliffe another

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:43
    Dictionary definitions are a useful starting point - SOMEtimes - though not always.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:54
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:43
    So does your interpretation of the word differ from the definition that can be found in dictionaries?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:59
    SO - what is racism?
    The idea that someone - including me - can have a definition for a word is totally alien to me. Definitions are negotiated, in spite of what the dictionary may say - but maybe a dictionary definition could provide the starting point for a discussion of the meaning of a word or concept.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 22:14
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 21:59
    SO - what is racism?
    But it's not always a useful starting point. Dictionary definitions cannot help us here

Does the meaning of racism change and evolve?
    What was deemed racist 40 years ago and what is deemed racist now are vastly different.
    Are there shades of grey when it comes to racism?

Calling a black man "coloured" = racist;

Calling a coloured man "black" = okay;

Quote Originally Posted by PugFugly wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 23:22
    Both phrases perfectly acceptable in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 23:25
    But in SA, so is 'facking Kaffir' and about 2,123 other derogatory terms, based on race / ethnicity.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 22:39
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 22:14
    SO - what is racism?
    If we applied this discipline to the expression of democracy in Western 'democracies' we would find them to be undemocratic.

Earlier on I was watching a TV drama filmed and set in London in the 1980s. It struck me as implausible that almost all the characters in it (even 30 years ago) were white. So I had a look on Wiki to see what the ethnic make up of London is. Apparently only 45% of us describe ourselves as white British. In the borough where I live, Enfield, the figure is only 40% and in Newham it is only 15%. For some reason I find those statistics slightly alarming. The funny thing is though, I have several non white friends and my girlfriend is eastern European. I also have plenty of non white and non British colleagues. I can safely say that 100% of the non white non British people I know are ok people. Some of them are good friends. Yet still I worry that parts of this country are being swamped by people who are different from me. Wtf is going on in my head?

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Wed, 18 February 2015 23:31
    Over there, "coloured" or "Cape coloured" refers to people of mixed race.

Calling a coloured person coloured and a black person black is though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 02:30
    Earlier on I was watching a TV drama filmed and set in London in the 1980s. It struck me as implausible that almost all the characters in it (even 30 years ago) were white. So I had a look on Wiki to see what the ethnic make up of London is. Apparently only 45% of us describe ourselves as white British. In the borough where I live, Enfield, the figure is only 40% and in Newham it is only 15%. For some reason I find those statistics slightly alarming. The funny thing is though, I have several non white friends and my girlfriend is eastern European. I also have plenty of non white and non British colleagues. I can safely say that 100% of the non white non British people I know are ok people. Some of them are good friends. Yet still I worry that parts of this country are being swamped by people who are different from me. Wtf is going on in my head?
    Get yourself down to aksular for some Turkish Fayre. That'll sort you out guvnor

Racism is either believing one race is inherently superior to another or judging people (primarily negatively) purely or mainly by their race instead of other attributes.

id say 90% of claims of racism arent actually so..its merely politically motivated claims.

Real racism is abhorrent..we all know where it leads. Falsely claiming racism is far less abhorrent but should also be opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 08:44
    Racism is either believing one race is inherently superior to another or judging people (primarily negatively) purely or mainly by their race instead of other attributes.
    I'd say 90% of claims of conservative feminism aren't actually so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 02:30
    I sometimes feel out of place up here when I am with lots of people who are speaking Welsh. I don't speak Welsh (though I am learning) so I feel a little out of place as if I don't belong here. I feel different - even among my own race.

But do other people agree with your definition of racism I wonder?

Basically, and according to the usual suspects, Racism is exclusively carried out by white people.

End of Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 10:18
    id say 90% of claims of racism arent actually so..its merely politically motivated claims.
    What I mean is the cultural way in which the term is thrown around..When people want to curb immigration, or oppose positive discrimination,or use non PC terms like 'coloured', people who criticise post-colonial go9vernance in Africa, people who (as you mention) criticise Israel; it doesn't mean they are racists. I'd say 90% of those 'cultural' accusations are false.

Quote Originally Posted by Usual Suspect Spotter wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 18:01
    Basically, and according to the usual suspects, Racism is exclusively carried out by white people.
    So maybe this history accounts for the view (perhaps inaccurate) that racism is something that only white people are guilty of.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 18:27
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 10:18
    Real racism is abhorrent..we all know where it leads. Falsely claiming racism is far less abhorrent but should also be opposed.
    I know what you mean James; it's just that I am not as confident at estimating these things - I have absolutely no idea what percentage of accusations are false.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 09:54