+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many British players have mastered a language when playing abroad?

Re: How many British players have mastered a language when playing abroad?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 21:14
    John Charles was fluent in Italian after playing for Juventus for a number of years. Ray Wilkins as well after his time at Milan.
    Quote Originally Posted by The G-Man wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 21:00
    The definition of 'fluent' is a bit of a moving feast though. British people often describe themselves as 'fluent' when 'language competent' would perhaps be more accurate description.
    How many British people could sit in a conversation with Russell Brand and honestly say they know what all the words he uses mean. I'd still class them as fluent English speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 13:02
    John Charles was fluent in Italian after playing for Juventus for a number of years. Ray Wilkins as well after his time at Milan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 19 February 2015 21:14
    The definition of 'fluent' is a bit of a moving feast though. British people often describe themselves as 'fluent' when 'language competent' would perhaps be more accurate description.
    There is sometimes a big difference between making oneself understood very well (and understanding everyday conversation) as opposed to being involved in complex matters where a high level of language is required. It never ceases to impress me how so many non-native English speakers impress at international meetings and conferences that I am involved in.
    *Or fluent listeners perhaps

Joey Barton knew the tune but not the words

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 13:21
    There is sometimes a big difference between making oneself understood very well (and understanding everyday conversation) as opposed to being involved in complex matters where a high level of language is required. It never ceases to impress me how so many non-native English speakers impress at international meetings and conferences that I am involved in.
    How many British people could sit in a conversation with Russell Brand and honestly say they know what all the words he uses mean. I'd still class them as fluent English speakers.*
    Proffesional footballers generally have an awful lot of spare time on their hands. Plenty of time and also money for the best teachers, so not all that surprising that many pick it up in a relatively short space of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 13:21
    How many British people could sit in a conversation with Russell Brand and honestly say they know what all the words he uses mean. I'd still class them as fluent English speakers.*
    That being the case surely it's fair for someone who speaks a second language (say Spanish) to claim they are fluent in Spanish, providing they don't come across someone speaking complex words/sentence contstruction like Brand does?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 21:56
    Hence my comment about the term fluent being a bit of a moving feast. I just hugely admire and envy people who can express themselves equally well in two or more languages. And as I stated earlier, it's also very laudable when British footballers can get by very well on the next notch down in their respective countries too.
    I can't really comment on anything to do with Russell Brand as I don't know a lot about his comments. I admire anyone who gives another language a stab at any level and some of the video clips in this thread have been great to see. I reserve my greatest respect for those who can talk in a second or third language without having to think about grammar, tenses and complicated constructions but that doesn't mean that I don't greatly admire those players who are able to give interviews on TV in another language and who can even crack a joke along the way. I don't think that I criticised a single player in this thread.

Hence my comment about the term fluent being a bit of a moving feast. I just hugely admire and envy people who can express themselves equally well in two or more languages.
    We can't understand some of the words you use in f*cking English!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 22:50
    Hence my comment about the term fluent being a bit of a moving feast. I just hugely admire and envy people who can express themselves equally well in two or more languages.
    We can't understand some of the words you use in f*cking English!!
    Just ignore me. I'll go away

Message by Taunton Blue Genie is ignored [reveal message] [reveal all messages by Taunton Blue Genie] [stop ignoring this user]

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 22:55
    Message by Taunton Blue Genie is ignored [reveal message] [reveal all messages by Taunton Blue Genie] [stop ignoring this user]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 22:55

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 23:16
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 22:55
    I don't know why but I saw this and thought of you, you need to join the group but it's worth it.
    I hope that you have noticed that I have not contributed to religious threads for at least a week. Am trying my best to refrain from now on

No Message Deity

David Platt fluent in italian after his stint in serie a

Peter Beardsley.

Some of them need to master English first