+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever see LFW play in person?

Did you ever see LFW play in person?

It just struck me that Cardiff City and England's undisputed greatest ever player, Leo "Do the Leo" Fortune "West" West left our club nearly twelve years ago, marking the end of a period of universal happiness that saw two promotions, everyone being younger and Croesy probably not being quite so obese.

Since those days, the club has become inexorably worse with rebrands and debt and Wigan flying Kavanagh away in a helicopter. Obviously the reason is clear. As the old saying goes, correlation implies causation.

Were you lucky enough to witness City's golden years of 2000-2003? Did you appreciate how fortunate you were at the time to see the man in "action"? Is Labour a better political party than the Conservatives?

All questions that shall be answered in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PB5hzXEA2w

Re: Did you ever see LFW play in person?

I once saw him score a hat-trick. In one game.

I saw him do the Leo.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 04:25
    I saw him do the Leo.
    I bid 300 quid on the shirt he wore that got ripped in a game....I GOT OUTBID...was gutted!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 04:01
    Was that the 7-1 v. Rushden and Diamonds? I tried to Google it, but nothing came up. LEO BROKE THE INTERNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Machine wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 05:44
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 04:01
    Was that the 7-1 v. Rushden and Diamonds? I tried to Google it, but nothing came up. LEO BROKE THE INTERNET.
    Or at York?! My memory is failing me.

The human wrecking ball. Best wheeled out for the last ten minutes after a more sophisticated approach has come to nought.

He's on twitter give him a follow he talks about himself in the third person, well wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Machine wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 05:46
    B 2 B.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 07:57
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Machine wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 05:46
    York away, the point confirmed promotion I believe.
    The Rushden game was when the great Gavin Gordon scored 5

I saw Leo kick Chuck Norris.

Quote Originally Posted by [quote title=BLUETIT wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 07:57
    Broken Machine wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 05:46] I once saw him score a hat-trick. In one game.
    I was there that day, if my memory serves me well James Collins made his debut, I'm Sir grangetown blue will confirm. Loads of city fans being gingerist that day

I lost count of the number of times I saw him jump to head the ball from a goal kick only for the ball to clear his head by a good 10 feet

Will always love Leo. A man of his time. The right man at the right time.

Favourite Leo memory was the time Lennie 'footballing genius' Lawrence decided to switch Leo out to left wing for some reason or another.
    The outcome looked like a slo-mo giraffe, galloping down the flank toward the Grange, raising dust and smashing away hyenas.

Leo

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 10:01
    Will always love Leo. A man of his time. The right man at the right time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwOuyHc1A5Y

I saw him score that hat trick at York when we were promoted.Plus 4 hour's on the train coming home with Dai Hunt.

I remember demanding a steward's enquiry after he scored with a beautiful side footed curler from the corner of the penalty area against Port Vale - he'd been "got at" that night, no doubt about it.

I wanted to hate Leo when we signed him because he embodied the whole Hammam/Gould/Wimbledon long ball game that I loathed so much at the time, but I couldn't - I'm still not sure why this was, but I had an awful lot of respect for the guy by the time he left and was sad to see him go.

Quote Originally Posted by Saundersfootblue wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 10:22
    I saw him score that hat trick at York when we were promoted.Plus 4 hour's on the train coming home with Dai Hunt.

Saw him numerous times. He was always a nuisance in the box. Never guilty of committing fouls according to him but a few felt his weight. Leo for England was the usual shout.

Set up that Scott Young goal too.

Quote Originally Posted by insider wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 07:24
    He's on twitter give him a follow he talks about himself in the third person, well wierd.
    For an ordinary human being, yes it is weird. But, if you're blessed with actually BEING Leo Fortune West I think it may be difficult to comprehend and so you would not ever see yourself as being "that" amazing person.

I think it was Brentford away midweek the 'do the Leo' started.

Can't remember the score but remember seeing Gruff (SFA) as he did a lot of the London City games back then.

I've just had a look at his Twitter,he'd give ankles a run for his money #ITK

Quote Originally Posted by salopiancity wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 08:38
    I saw Leo kick Chuck Norris.
    He didn't look so mean when Willie Boland once squared up to him on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 11:26
    Set up that Scott Young goal too.
    Admitting that was the game people saw him play though doesn't have the wet Tuesday at Rochdale effect.