+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Did you ever see LFW play in person?

Re: Did you ever see LFW play in person?

Pretty sure I read somewhere that he was still knocking about in non league football until a year or two ago.

Bearing in mind that he played for about 15 clubs I often wonder if he attracted the same sort of cult following anywhere else, or if it was just us.

I remember him coming on as a sub against Brentford with about 10 minutes to go. They'd been kicking lumps out of Thorne and Earnie all game and it looked destined for 0-0. Within 2 minutes he'd wound up one of their defenders a treat, got his elbows up to 'do the Leo' on another and set up a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus T. Firefly wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 12:00
    I saw Leo kick Chuck Norris.
    Quote Originally Posted by salopiancity wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 08:38
    He didn't look so mean when Willie Boland once squared up to him on the pitch.
    He would have eaten Roy Keane for breakfast.

He was briefly our record signing iirc. I remember being furious we'd blown £300,000 on him, although that was before we signed David Hughes from Shrewsbury by accident for £500,000

Hat-trick at York to get us promoted.

And Doncaster fans hold him in similar cult status iirc

The co-subject of what could have been an all time great chant if City fans had been brave enough to take it up

"His name was Earnie, Eaaaarnie, and he plays up front with Leo Fortune West".

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Valley Bluebird wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 12:57
    He was briefly our record signing iirc. I remember being furious we'd blown £300,000 on him, although that was before we signed David Hughes from Shrewsbury by accident for £500,000
    You're right about Donny fans as I used to work with one and he said the same thing. Leo had a great promotion record from the basement too IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames Valley Bluebird wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 12:57
    He was utter shite as well.

Leo was our first "big money" signing when £300k was big money. He was effective, but I never really did understand the cult status thing. I suppose it is far easier to like players like that when you are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 11:26
    Set up that Scott Young goal too.
    Never to be forgotten.

Eddie Johnson was like " son of Leo ".

Yes, many times (including his hatrick at York), he was shit, idolised by idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 13:46
    All part of the "Langston nothing to do with Sam notes"

Quote Originally Posted by ninian200 wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 18:56
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter wrote on Fri, 20 February 2015 13:46
    And Doncaster fans hold him in similar cult status iirc
    Cardiff still owe money on those transfers, I would guess. 15 years on.