+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: PC help needed please!

PC help needed please!

I've got windows 8.1 running on my asus laptop (X550CC) which has two ssd drives in it.

When it runs - even from a completely fresh install I'm getting very high disk usage - runs at 100%, particularly when opening programs/startup. Often seems taken up by 'system'. But I can't see what processes within system it could be.

I've had a look online and tried various solutions such as turning off search index, repairing search/update/maintenance functions.

Then I saw one page suggesting it could be a faulty drive which would cause this disk usage problem - so I reinstalled on my second ssd - the problem remains unfortunately. This intuitively suggests it could be the windows disk I have but I've installed it on my desktop and it runs perfectly there.

Any ideas what I can do about this? It's driving me nuts and no matter how much I try to fix it, I can't!

The troubleshooting menu in the advanced settings (where you access system repair etc) seems very slow as well - I'm not sure if this is related.

Re: PC help needed please!

Chances are you've done this already but disable Superfetch, Prefectch and Windows search services.

Control Alt Delete will bring up task manager, have a look to see what programs are loading at start up, disable most of them, when you want to use those program they will just load up, but not on start up

It could be a false reading. I have had that before, think it was my CPU reading.

What exactly is running at 100%? The CPU, RAM, or the HDD?

If the HD and the CPU is maxed out, have you changed the " cache amount " ? ? ? as it sounds like its struggling to move from the CPU and HD, which would point to the cache

Not sure ho wmuch win 8 needs, i know when i installed 7 from XP it needed more cache to run at fairly decent speed

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot wrote on Wed, 25 February 2015 23:37
    I've got windows 8.1 running on my asus laptop (X550CC)
    There's your problems right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Thu, 26 February 2015 12:06
    I've got windows 8.1 running on my asus laptop (X550CC)
    Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot wrote on Wed, 25 February 2015 23:37
    There's your problems right there.
    I think I need to steer clear of asus for now - it's the third thing of theirs I've had that I've had to return (2 laptops and a motherboard all in all).

Good news.

LENOVO one of the best out there for specs and price (if you look around)

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor wrote on Thu, 26 February 2015 14:51
    A mate told me their build quality was poor though

I hate windows now - new laptop and the problem is still there. 100% disk usage. WTF!

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot wrote on Wed, 04 March 2015 13:56
    I hate windows now - new laptop and the problem is still there. 100% disk usage. WTF!
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2045646/windows-100 -disk-usage.html

Quote Originally Posted by welshyoot wrote on Thu, 26 February 2015 19:32
    I wondered if they might have some deals on given the troubles they had with malware. I saw a Z50-70 that I was considering.
    Superfish removed

Sounds like it could just be a background windows update. Can take multiple restarts for all updates to apply themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Wed, 04 March 2015 20:00
    Sounds like it could just be a background windows update. Can take multiple restarts for all updates to apply themselves.
    My desktop doesn't have anywhere near these problems - it is much more powerful but I wouldn't have expected it to make that much of a difference.

Dell for me every time.

Build quality is excellent and it really is no trouble getting rid of all the bumf, never had the 30day trial stuff, but that may be because I got rid of all the bumf first