+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Tory Housing Shame

Great Tory Housing Shame

According to the Mirror a third of all ex council properties are owned by rich landlords one ex Tory minister at the time of the Thatcher sell off owns 40 ex London council flats ðŸ˜*

Re: Great Tory Housing Shame

Quote Originally Posted by Harley wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 21:08
    According to the Mirror a third of all ex council properties are owned by rich landlords one ex Tory minister at the time of the Thatcher sell off owns 40 ex London council flats ðŸ˜*
    Google dame Shirley porter the witch

Out of interest what demographic likely be council tenants who were allowed to buy their council houses?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 21:53
    Out of interest what demographic likely be council tenants who were allowed to buy their council houses?
    Tory ****s

It seems that some council tenants bought their houses and decided to make a quick profit by selling them to the highest bidders. I don't think anyone had their arms twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by ZZ Jack wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 22:44
    It seems that some council tenants bought their houses and decided to make a quick profit by selling them to the highest bidders. I don't think anyone had their arms twisted.
    Tory ****s

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 22:52
    Yeah and they are ****s as well
    Why wouldn't a disabled person in Grangetown not want to buy their property at a reduced rate?

Blog Entries

I was working for the council as a carpenter when it all happened

While it was never right to sell off the housing, alot of the tenants did well out of it ( in the small world they lived in ) some had nice holidays, some purchased new cars, but the vast % who sold them off to the private landlords all ended up back in affordable housing

There is a new 'Right To Buy' spike going on with the Con-Dems massive new discounts kicking in - now up to £77,000 per home (£103,000 in London) and due to rise further.

I think that the total number of Council homes sold under RtB is now over 2 million - and a third of them are now rented out by private landlords at rents much higher than Councils (or Housing Associations) want to or can charge - and that means a higher housing benefit bill for 'the taxpayer'!

Since 2010 for every 7 Council homes sold under the RtB legislation, only one has been replaced. That isn't because Councils don't want to purchase/build new Council homes - it is the way the debt and funding rules work, even under the (better) Self Financing Housing Revenue Account regime that the coalition inherited from Labour.

The Tory Party of Home Ownership has created a situation where not only are Council housing numbers the lowest for 2 generations, but owner occupation is at its lowest level for 25 years at 65%. Private landlords with big rents are the winners in all this - with tenants, Councils and Joe Public paying for it all.

I saw an press item recently that said last year Harrow Council had to spend £500,000 a year renting back from private landlords 35 homes previously sold under the Right To Buy, in a desperate and very expensive attempt to find enough accommodation to meet its statutory duty to house homeless families in the borough.

Madness!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 21:49
    The Tories are ****s
    Dont forget john prescotts son.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 23:24
    There is a new 'Right To Buy' spike going on with the Con-Dems massive new discounts kicking in - now up to £77,000 per home (£103,000 in London) and due to rise further.
    Why didnt the last labour government change the rules on funding during their 13 years in power,did they forget?

It's a double edged sword, house prices have to be kept artificially high at all costs, otherwise the country will default on it's debts. Also getting the tax payer to pick up the tab for excess housing costs suits some peoples political agenda.

On the other hand - all those families who bought - had their own house - which they had already been living in for years.

If they had not sold then you would have had the headline from the Mirror saying millions of families stuck in Council houses as they can no longer afford to buy.

There was a program on Radio5 about this very subject yesterday - whatever the party in Govt they would have been fecked if they did and fecked if they didnt - as house price inflation would still have happened

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 09:29
    On the other hand - all those families who bought - had their own house - which they had already been living in for years.
    House price inflation has ruined this country as as we have borrowed ever increasing amounts using the debt of home-owners over-valued assets as collateral. When the bubble finally bursts it will be a lot worse than the sub-prime crisis. When you combine tax payers debt, home-owners debt, student debt, household debt, there is no way we are getting out of it.

Thatchers greedy property owning democracy will bring this country to its knees , you ain't seen nothing yet

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 22:56
    Jon1959 will fill you all in with the gory details
    Tell me you are not that ****ing stupid

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 13:00
    Thatchers greedy property owning democracy will bring this country to its knees , you ain't seen nothing yet
    Her kids were smart, they took the money and run.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 06:30
    The Tories are ****s
    Why ? Did he try and force loads of poor people out of their homes, cook the books and feck off abroad to evade prosecution ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 13:02
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Sun, 01 March 2015 22:56
    Jon1959 will fill you all in with the gory details
    Put it this way a damp flat inhabited by a disabled person in the middle of grangetown wouldn't attract thatchers boot boys nor could an unemployed sick person be in the market to buy it
    Ah, you are just assuming a disabled person is low paid. How rude.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/politics/64534.stm
    Auditors probe Prescott son's house deals

Granted he was not in the same league as Porter though - a thoroughly unlike-able person - who I dont believe ever came back to he UK

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 13:00
    Of course, many tenants bought their homes for just the greed aspect, but not all.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 13:05
    The Tories are ****s
    Dont forget john prescotts son.
    How did she avoid prison?

I had an argument about this with sludge a while back, I bought my own home of the council for £27000 and sold it for £137000 although at the time I was thinking about my family and another step up the property market etc I beleiev what sludge says is going to be correct, my old home is now owed by a landlord who has tenants living there claiming benefits. It's was a big mistake selling council homes IMO but at the time I bought it I thought it was a great idea not so sure now

The Tories are ****s
    Also, three times disgraced and twice re-elected Lord Mandleson.