Quote Originally Posted by The Alien wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 20:03
    The plane.
    Cheers tattoo

Re: Four Full Days In New York

The toilet on the plane.

Mile high club, buy one get one free offer

Statue of Liberty, A view from the top of the Empire State building at night,A walk through Cental Park and if possible a tour of The Bronx and Harlem.

Not to sure about Rejkavik - a few geysers I suppose. New York has plenty to see. Central Park, 9/11 memorial, Liberty and Ellis Islands ($18 all in - boats, entrance to Ellis island Immigration Buildings and audio tours. If you want to go to the top of the statue you'll have to pay extra and book in advance), Empire State Building, Yankee Stadium (better if you're going when the Yankees are there, about $30 for a game ticket), Metropolitan Museum of Art, Madison Square Garden, Times Square etc etc. Plenty of restaurants in Hell's Kitchen near Times Square with food from all over the world, Little Italy. Bars everywhere but try to get to the White Horse in the Village which was Dylan Thomas's watering hole with photographs of him still in the bars. I know from other threads that not everybody agrees with me but I think it's the most exciting city in the world.

Iceland is a truly magical place. Rent a car and cover a few sights at your own pace. The so-called Golden Circle, which takes in a lot of the sights, is a round 200km trip.

Other than already mentioned in NYC.

Top of the Rock , USS Intrepid , a show on Broadway , Greenwich Village , Maceys etc.

Circle Line boat tour around Manhattan. From Pier 83, West 42nd Street. It's next to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum on the USS Intrepid. Never done the latter, but it looks interesting. There is a Blackbird on deck along with many other mean-looking bits of kit. They also have a space shuttle.

Get the (free) Statten Island Ferry, it goes past the Statue of Liberty.

Have a drink in some of the old bars http://untappedcities.com/2013/11/06/10-oldest-surviving-bar s-nyc-mcsorleys-bridge-cafe-ear-inn-chumleys-fraunces-tavern -petes-tavern-whitehorse-tavern/, McSorley's Old Ale House in East Village is a favourite.

Hire a bike at Central Park.

MOMA.

Loads to do.

Reykavic - The Penis Museum, a swim in the thermal pools, visit the Big Lebowski bar, walk around town, it's really nice (boys went last year for a couple of days)

Bono hired a bike in Central Park and lool what happened to him

Have been to New York a couple of times and I agree what others have said - it's a fantastic City. You can cover an awful lot of Manhattan on foot which will help you take in a lot of things you would otherwise miss, and of course when the legs get tired the subway system is easy to navigate. Here's my list of things to see and do:

Empire State at night (the later the better as it's much quieter)
    Madison Square Garden (they have a theatre as well as the basketball/concerts, etc - tickets can be expensive)
    Ground Zero (get there 9am to avoid the queues)
    Staten Island Ferry (it's free, you get great views of the Manhattan skyline from the other side and goes past the Statue of Liberty if you're struggling to fit in a full trip)
    Statue of Liberty (of course)
    Wall Street
    Grenwich Village/East Village for bars/nightlife
    Ice skating/skating at Central Park and/or Rockerfeller Centre
    Central Park (take the Subway about three-quarters of the way up and get off at 96th St station and walk back through the park - my favourite place in New York and so much to see. It'll take 3 or 4 hours to fit everything in but it's worth it. Resrvoir, Great Lawn, Alice in Wonderland statue, Boating Lake, Strawberry Fields, Ice Rink, Zoo.
    Walk up/down Madison Avenue, 5th Avenue near Central Park to take in some of the big stores, buildings
    Times Square/Broadway - grab something to eat, take in a show adn generally hang around to take it all in
    Shopping - Macy's, Bloomindales, Schwarz toy shop
    Take the 7 train (subway) out to Flushing Meadows in Queens. Great views back of Manhatten from the train and grab some great cheap asian foood at Chinatown in Flushing Meadows
    Grand Central Station - you'll also get to see the Chrysler Buildiing nearby

Tip for the broadway shows - most of the theatre's offer a very limited number of cheap standing tickets which are sold on the day, first come first served at about 5pm. We went to see Jersey Boys and had a standing area immediately behind the stalls with a great view and somewhere to lean (a bit like being on a foootball terrace!) for about $25 each. The people in the stalls imeediately in front of us had paid $150 or more.

I'm sure i've forgotten a few things but you can definitely fit all of the above in over 4 days - although you'll be grateful of a rest when you come home! Enjoy.

Some great informative replies, thanks all.

Forgot The Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station.

New York is awesome, went in 2000 and 2002, just the enormity of the place is take your breath away style. I went for 1 week and this was ample time to see the sights etc, so four full days is ample. ps. take ear plugs as it is like rush hour 24/7 {City never sleeps}

Thermals if your going soon it was bloody freezing two weeks ago

If you've not done NYC before you'll probably be drawn to Empire State, but if not then try the top of the rock as you'll then get to see the ESB which you obviously can't see if you're standing on top of it. Both are worth doing though. Rock at night and ESB by day would be my reco.

Try Smiths just off the south west end of Central Park for an excellent NYC brunch.

A walk over the Brooklyn Bridge and the High Line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Li...w_York_City%29

Out of interest, why are you going via Reykyavik?

Little Owl restaurant, Friends exterior building (great food) and Dylans boozer The White Horse to get abused by the miserable staff.

Thanks again guys keep the replies coming. I'm flying Iceland Airways which transits in Reykjavik and gives you the option to stop a couple of days before connecting to US, paid £440 (September) which I thought was good.

My advice would be that if you take the ferry to see the Statue of Liberty don't get off. Once you've seen Lady Liberty up close you may as well turn around and get on with your day. Also try to walk s much as you can, and don't be afraid of the Subway.

And go whale watching in Iceland.

I'd get a 7-day unlimited subway pass if I were you (that's what I did on my 4-day trip back in November). Get the Air train from JFK (I assume) direct to Jamaica Central station, buy your subway pass from the guy in the kiosk there (rather than queue up to use the ticket machines), get on the E line into Manhattan.