+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team GB for Rio 2016

Team GB for Rio 2016

Football Association wants Great Britain sides at Rio Olympics

The Football Association is planning to enter men's and women's Great Britain teams into the Rio 2016 Olympics.

It has written to the Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh associations to inform them - and ask if they would like to take part.

A British Olympic Association official said: "We have received confirmation from the FA of their intention."

Men's and women's teams have to go through a qualification process to make the Olympic Games.

Football's world governing body Fifa would have to sanction the move.

A top-four finish for England in the European Under-21 Championship would see the men's side get there, while the women would have to finish as one of the top three European teams in the World Cup this summer.

Home nations players featured in Team GB sides at the London 2012 Games despite the Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland associations refusing to officially take part.

Five Welsh players were in the men's squad while two Scottish players made the women's squad.

The associations feared a Great Britain squad could set a precedent that affected their separate identities.

On the latest development, an FA of Wales spokesman told BBC Sport: "We are making no official comment at the moment."

Stuart Pearce's men's side lost on penalties to South Korea in the quarter-finals at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff in 2012.

The women's team also lost at the quarter-final stage, to Canada.

A record British women's football crowd of 70,584 saw the host nation beat Brazil 1-0 at Wembley in their last group game.

Re: Team GB for Rio 2016

Cue Mr Grapes.

I would prefer for it not to happen. It's different to the one off event at a home Olympics and, from attending the South Korea game, I'm not sure how many English sports fans understand the difference between England and Team GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 22:26
    Football Association wants Great Britain sides at Rio Olympics
    no to team GB

Quote Originally Posted by NECS wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 22:31
    Cue Mr Grapes.
    Hello from New Zealand. Told you it would not be a one off. Can we get the no to team go banner out to Israel? Let's hope England feck up the under 21's so they can't be considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 23:29
    Cue Mr Grapes.
    Hello from New Zealand. Told you it would not be a one off. Can we get the no to team go banner out to Israel? Let's hope England feck up the under 21's so they can't be considered.
    I keep looking for your flag! Where are you next? Some cracking games so far

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Riley wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 23:33
    Cue Mr Grapes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 March 2015 23:29
    I keep looking for your flag! Where are you next? Some cracking games so far
    2 more weeks and back to the lovely uk weather for a week before Israel.

Sounds great, I've never been but it looks fantastic, I'll keep an eye out at the Ireland game

I bet Giggs will make himself available for selection!

Here we go again. More threats to our football identity from Team GB. Just Say Say No!!

It seems daft that we wouldn't enter a team when you consider the dominance of football in the UK.
    As for all the doom mongers, has anything changed since the last time this happened?

Even if you agree with Team GB I doubt you'll agree with the English FA taking the decision without proper consultation of the other home nations.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:27
    Even if you agree with Team GB I doubt you'll agree with the English FA taking the decision without proper consultation of the other home nations.
    Given that it would be their qualifying spot, I don't see why they shouldn't go for it, even if nobody else wants to join in.

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:23
    It seems daft that we wouldn't enter a team when you consider the dominance of football in the UK.
    Nothing was ever going to happen immediately but trust me, FIFA will be looking at this. The 4 home nations have a big influence voting-wise at FIFA - if they have an excuse to dilute it to 1 or 2 ,they'll use it.

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:30
    As for all the doom mongers, has anything changed since the last time this happened?
    There won't be any threat to the team itself continuing.

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:30
    Given that it would be their qualifying spot, I don't see why they shouldn't go for it, even if nobody else wants to join in.
    If you look at the last two paragraphs here ( http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/02/team-gb-olympic -games-2016-rio-games-fa-wales?CMP=share_btn_tw ) then it's suggested that this venture may be affected by other matters

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:56
    Separate discussion. If Wales qualified and then were told we couldn't go to the Olympics because England and Scotland didn't want to I'd be annoyed, but (considering we'd be representing Team GB) I would expect us to have the conversation before announcing our intention.
    Should we really have more of a say on the world game than Germany, italy, Spain or Brazil?

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 10:16
    Separate discussion. If Wales qualified and then were told we couldn't go to the Olympics because England and Scotland didn't want to I'd be annoyed, but (considering we'd be representing Team GB) I would expect us to have the conversation before announcing our intention.
    If you look at the last two paragraphs here ( http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/mar/02/team-gb-olympic -games-2016-rio-games-fa-wales?CMP=share_btn_tw ) then it's suggested that this venture may be affected by other matters
    we all have one vote each. just like every other country

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 10:53
    England are average, and wales, Scotland and northern Ireland are crap.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Associ ation_Board

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:38
    There won't be any threat to the team itself continuing.
    Check you out... must be the only human being on planet earth able to know future FIFA decisions. Quite a feat given the crazy decisions they come up with.

Personally, I don't think cucumbers should be put in sandwiches.

Team GB ? Sounds fine by me.

Cue more crying from over sensitive Welsh people.

Nothing happened last time, why the conspiracy now?

Nothing happened except that the promise of 'It's a one off for London' hasn't been kept to. How long are we willing to let this go on for before we should make a stand? It'll be too late judging by what a lot of you are saying.

There are so many short-term problems too, let alone the ultimate domesday scenario which will see us lose our independence as a footballing nation.

Good article by Chris Wathan on it: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/te am-gb-rio-2016-olympics-8757539

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 12:29
    Nothing was ever going to happen immediately but trust me, FIFA will be looking at this. The 4 home nations have a big influence voting-wise at FIFA - if they have an excuse to dilute it to 1 or 2 ,they'll use it.
    Why would Scotland and Wales want England to have the World Cup?! Not sure about N. Ireland.