+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Team GB for Rio 2016

Re: Team GB for Rio 2016

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:38
    It seems daft that we wouldn't enter a team when you consider the dominance of football in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:30
    As for all the doom mongers, has anything changed since the last time this happened?
    Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 09:23
    Nothing was ever going to happen immediately but trust me, FIFA will be looking at this. The 4 home nations have a big influence voting-wise at FIFA - if they have an excuse to dilute it to 1 or 2 ,they'll use it.
    Wow

Quote Originally Posted by RFMH wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 12:54
    Cue more crying from over sensitive Welsh people.
    welsh people are notorious for being push overs, but surely there comes a time to stand up for ourselves?

If we are to have a Team GB then each nation should be equal. I'm not saying we should have to play 3 Northern Irish footballers just that it shouldn't play all it's main games in Wembley, wearing white and the English FA deciding how the finances work.

However, to me that (GB or no GB) is separate from the English FA deciding for this Olympics to try and force through what it wants so to benefit the English national side. Some argue that it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission but this isn't even that, this is doing what they want then announcing it the other home nations and saying either get on board or not...this is political bullying.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 13:23
    If we are to have a Team GB then each nation should be equal. I'm not saying we should have to play 3 Northern Irish footballers just that it shouldn't play all it's main games in Wembley, wearing white and the English FA deciding how the finances work.
    Not sure where that leaves your first point.

So the FA are once again displaying their arrogance with a unilateral decision. The only surprising thing is that people are actually surprised by this. Ever wondered why they are called the FA, whilst every other nation has the country name in their title? There's plenty of objective, authoritative sports historians (usually English themselves) who have been happy to list the arrogance and aloofness of the FA since its inception in 1863.

The lack of ignorance about the influence of the "Home Nations" at FIFA is also astounding. Their influence exerts only to rule making. It has nothing to do with deciding the locations of world cups. Without such influence, the Americans would no doubt have got their way with some ludicrous rule change suggestions for the 1990 World Cup to "sell" the game more to their nation/TV stations.

There are two reasons why the "Home Nations" exert such influence on the laws of the game:

(a) The rest of the world acknowledges that the current rules originated in the UK (primarily English public school system)
    (b) The "Home Nations" also bailed FIFA out of a financial crisis, if memory serves me right, post-WW2.

I personally hope the FAW and the other Celtic nations oppose this unilateral English stance. It would also be good to see young Welsh talent this time stay loyal to Wales, rather than risk the footballing future of our nation (however perceived or real that may be) by playing for a Greater England.

Quote Originally Posted by AntEvans wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 14:40
    So the FA are once again displaying their arrogance with a unilateral decision. The only surprising thing is that people are actually surprised by this. Ever wondered why they are called the FA, whilst every other nation has the country name in their title? There's plenty of objective, authoritative sports historians (usually English themselves) who have been happy to list the arrogance and aloofness of the FA since its inception in 1863.
    Ideally we'd also have young English players coming out against this decision (or the way it has been made) too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31713832

Karma should see Gareth Southgate's side embarrass themselves.

Well up for this

Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 13:08
    It seems daft that we wouldn't enter a team when you consider the dominance of football in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 12:29
    As for all the doom mongers, has anything changed since the last time this happened?
    Nothing was ever going to happen immediately but trust me, FIFA will be looking at this. The 4 home nations have a big influence voting-wise at FIFA - if they have an excuse to dilute it to 1 or 2 ,they'll use it.
    If the Home Nations have such a " big influence voting - wise at FIFA " then how come England can't get the World Cup again ?
    Go go figure.

It's about time we stopped all this nonsense. The Home Nations should compete as GB in every sport. That way, there'd be no pink cowboy hats and daffodil heads, no high jinx, and a reduction in domestic violence.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 22:28
    Quote Originally Posted by saganspirit wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 13:08
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Tue, 03 March 2015 12:29
    If the Home Nations have such a " big influence voting - wise at FIFA " then how come England can't get the World Cup again ?
    Team GB ? Sounds fine by me.
    Are we in America? I think it's you who needs to "go figure" and wake up to this.

If Welsh football fans are happy with an Englishman captaining their country, then I'm sure GB team will be OK with them too.

How ridiculous is this idea? Pathetic.

Women's teams.