+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bloody dam VIRGIN MEDIA INTERNET SLOW SPEED > < Advice required Please

Bloody dam VIRGIN MEDIA INTERNET SLOW SPEED > < Advice required Please

Ive been with Virgin media now for 12 yrs, receiving televsion and telephone and internet, Up until I was receiving 30mb speed but i stupidly took them up on 50mb speed boast. sadly the last 4 weeks since the switch the internet has been sluggish , slow performace,, slow receipt of emails and son on his xbox1 has said terrible lagging and crashing lately....... Im far from happy as we are paying or monies and we are not receiving internet speed, leaving to think about leaving Virgin Media totally . IM happy to call them but im in no mood to suggest our equiptment is the cause,,,
    Has any one got any words of wisdom or experince og negotioning with service provider. Also many say Virgin media is supposably the fastest ,,,, could debate that one on presents speeds,,,

How go you all check your internet speed, and websites u can recommend ?

Thanks in advance for any tips or words of wisdom

Re: Bloody dam VIRGIN MEDIA INTERNET SLOW SPEED > < Advice required Please

No tips or words of wisdom im afraid, but for the last few weeks its been shite for me as well.
    If my son is on Xbox I cant connect, and when I do his game becomes laggy.

Firstly reboot your router. Unplug it from the mains for at least 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Go to speedtest.net for a decent idea of download speed. Download speed and actual speed of how your computer opens pages can be affected by a variety of things. A lot of problems are viruses and malware. Get a free trial of NOD32 (google it) and get Malwarebytes. Run them both and clear all the shite off your computer.

I am on 100Mb with Virgin and I really can't complain. See here for a test I have just done - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4198940908

Using the Cardiff/Newprt servers - http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4198953784

At certain times it can be a bit slower. If you do all the above and you are still getting crap speeds then get onto them. 150 I think from a virgin phone and kick up a huge fuss. They are pretty good at getting engineers out.

I would call them next time you have an hour to spare, there's a number of things they can do to improve your speeds such as logging into your router and changing settings. Also ask if you can have a Super Hub 2 sent out to you, I have one and I've never had a problem with it, my internet speeds have always been consistently good with Virgin.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC BlueBird wrote on Sun, 08 March 2015 21:42
    Ive been with Virgin media now for 12 yrs, receiving televsion and telephone and internet, Up until I was receiving 30mb speed but i stupidly took them up on 50mb speed boast. sadly the last 4 weeks since the switch the internet has been sluggish , slow performace,, slow receipt of emails and son on his xbox1 has said terrible lagging and crashing lately....... Im far from happy as we are paying or monies and we are not receiving internet speed, leaving to think about leaving Virgin Media totally . IM happy to call them but im in no mood to suggest our equiptment is the cause,,,
    I've had very few problems.

I've been with them for years and had very few problems. On the odd occasion that I have had problems if a reboot of the router hasn't sorted it out then a phone call to their tech support has.

i just done the test as im on virgin and my results were 10.13mps download and 3.09 upload with a ping of 31ms whatever that is
    is that shite ??

Banned

I've not got problems.
    We used to mind you, always seemed to be sluggish on a Sunday going back a year or so ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC BlueBird wrote on Sun, 08 March 2015 21:42
    On our Mac connected by Ethernet we get 159 mb, but laptop downstairs it drops to between 50 and 80 because of other appliances, such as printer, tablets and to links running off wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by blue roo wrote on Sun, 08 March 2015 23:04
    i just done the test as im on virgin and my results were 10.13mps download and 3.09 upload with a ping of 31ms whatever that is
    That depends what service you are paying for. 10mps sounds pretty slow to me, but if that is all you are paying for then it's fine

Restart your router, tends to solve problems like you have stated. Its important you use the on/off switch, if you just turn off at the plug it will be have problems when you turn it back on. In fact whenever the power goes out, or it is switched off at the plug, always restart the router.