+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aliens

Aliens

I don't mean like the bug eyed, big headed Aliens from movies and things.

I mean as in, just extra-terrestrial life forms. Surely there must be at least another civilisation out there somewhere?

If you do believe that, how far does your belief stretch? Are they in another galaxy, or right on our doorstep i.e Titan or Mars etc.

Given the infinite vastness of space, I think it would be very naive to think that we are the only ones in it.

Please refrain from the standard 'tin foil' digs etc. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. For example, People genuinely think Labour and Ed Milliband can lead this country. That's a little more absurd than the prospect of an alien invasion IMO.

In seriousness though, let's keep this civil, at least.

Re: Aliens

IMO It isinevitable that life exists away from Earth.
    Most of it may be no more than microbes, but in the vastness of the Galaxy (let alone the Universe), there MUST be a life form (several, probably) that we would recognise as sentient.
    Whether it exists NOW, is another matter.
    In the scale of the age of the Universe, WE have only been around for a short period, and the chances of another comparable civilisation rising to coincide is small. So even if we discover warp drive, we may never encounter another sentient species.
    It's a bit like expecting the Roman Empire to travel east and bump into Ghengis Khan - they were just not around at the same time.

As close as to 100% as you can get. Yes.

We are not that special, if we were why do shows like TOWIE exist. Proof that we are not a special species.

That vastness of the galaxy would suggest there are planets that exist with lifeforms similar to here on earth. And the vastness of life suggest there are lifeforms that we do not know exist. We are carbon based oxygen fueled lifeform, there are theories that this is merely 1 type of lifeform that can exist. Sadly the likelyhood of us ever confirming it are small, certainly in our lifetime. So we are stuck with TOWIE for now.

There must be something out there, it's a question of where and more importantly when. It's hard to get your head around infinite time and distance. There could be advanced civilizations that have been extinct for millions of years that are so far away it would several lifetimes just to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 11:43
    There must be something out there, it's a question of where and more importantly when. It's hard to get your head around infinite time and distance. There could be advanced civilizations that have been extinct for millions of years that are so far away it would several lifetimes just to get there.
    Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octRYMsiLX0

Does anyone think contact has already been made?

Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 11:47
    Imagine having an invincible, super-fast vehicle and being able to just keep going - you'd get some cracking photos, wouldn't you ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 12:05
    Oh yes. Some post on here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 12:32
    Oh yes. Some post on here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T964Miv5rqA

A definite yes to life. An almost certain yes to intelligent, civilised life.

Whether there is civilised life in our galaxy that exists in the same blink of an eye as we do - that's less likely.

First Team

going by our mathematic laws and current scientific knowledge didn't some institution calculate that there should be over a 100,000 planets that replicate the conditions for life.
    Ok, probably a flawed calculation but it does probably highlight that it is more rather than less likely that there are other life forms out there.
    I have to admit that I think that we have already made contact especially when you see some of the NASA films that have been leaked and the statements made by some of the astronauts and defense contractors in the U.S.
    Anyone know where I can buy industrial quantities of tin foil?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Sidney Ruff-Diamond wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 12:32
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 11:47
    Try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=octRYMsiLX0
    Wow!
    Also yes I do think they're aliens, and yes I do think there's been contact with them already

It would be arrogant and uniwse for us to assume we are alone in an infinite (?) Universe.

Life elsewhere could be bacteria, or spongiform or way more advanced than ourselves .
    It / 'they' need not conform to the precepts we hold as to what constitutes 'life'.

I'm sure there are countless very strong clues - from time immemorial onwards - that we have been visited.
    And maybe even a body of confidential 'evidence' from the 20th Century onwards.

But whether the case or not - would we know? Are we 'allowed'?

IF contact has been made, then it might blow our collective minds a bit too much if we (the people of earth) were suddently made aware of Alien contact as an undisputed fact.
    I'd imagine global social stability would be maintained for as long as possible, by keeping it hushed, and pointing at anyone who gets too close and labeling them a tin-foiler / loon / conspiracy theorist .

That predictable act will even occur in this very thread .

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 11:20
    I don't mean like the bug eyed, big headed Aliens from movies and things.
    Millions of people believe in God and the fact that he created this world in 7 days ........

Somewhere yes, there must be.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 12:58
    It would be arrogant and uniwse for us to assume we are alone in an infinite (?) Universe.
    Would probably bring an end to religion though, which would be nice.

imagine the impact on religion if we were discovered to be not alone and that there were other life forms out there

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 12:46
    going by our mathematic laws and current scientific knowledge didn't some institution calculate that there should be over a 100,000 planets that replicate the conditions for life.
    Mathematics? If they are out there they would have been here by now, so IMO we are alone If Earth sent probes out into our galaxy at our max primitive rocket speed currently available we could visit every solar system it contains in 300M years. That is a blink of an eye in the timespan of the cosmos so even automated alien probes would have been here many times if they ever existed. So much time has elapsed in the universe then if advanced civilisations had developed they would have surely visited our galaxy by now. There is not a trace of any alien activity in the entire spectrum from visable to radio waves.....so far

Yes they do exist Russell Grant is one

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Countisbury wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 13:15
    Ok, probably a flawed calculation but it does probably highlight that it is more rather than less likely that there are other life forms out there.
    And there was the WOW signal...

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Frog wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 13:12
    imagine the impact on religion if we were discovered to be not alone and that there were other life forms out there
    I imagine there would be no impact, and the people who believed in God(s) would simply believe that god(s) also created the other universes and other life forms.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 13:24
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Countisbury wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 13:15
    I have to admit that I think that we have already made contact especially when you see some of the NASA films that have been leaked and the statements made by some of the astronauts and defense contractors in the U.S.
    I still maintain they would have been here by now. Physiology restricts the rapid exploration of space so just as we are doing right now robotic probes would be used. Why would they not have their probes visit every planet? Any why would the advanced aliens using warp speed not visit us?