+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: life assurance policies

life assurance policies

As I'm sure is the case for many of you, my employer gives me a bunch of critical illness/personal accident/life assurances and insurances. Oddly, I also get a life assurance policy for my wife i.e. if she dies, my employer gives me a cash lump sum. It's something like 5x salary.

My wife also has a policy in her own name from her own employer, which pays about 4x salary.

There is also a life assurance bolt-on to some redundancy protection that we pay for, which pays out something like 2x salary.

Does anybody know what happens if she dies? Do I get 11x her salary?! Or do they all fight it out and only cover me to the level of the biggest policy i.e. 5x salary?

Before anybody asks: I'm not tempted or anything, I'm just looking at whether we can scale back some of this stuff as we seem to be massively over-insured across a range of things. Honest.

Re: life assurance policies

She will have Death in Service - whereby she dies you get £xxxxx.

Never heard of a company giving someone money if their partner dies, so fair play to your company. But you would be entitled to both as they will be different plans, so you would get your 5x and her 4x salary.

The redundancy package im guessing is an ASU plan? (accident sickness unemployment) so again, if it does have life cover attached you would be able to make a claim on it. So yes, you are over insured, on life cover, but im guessing you dont pay for the death in service. Most companies give it as a employee benefit

Trending tomorrow will be

Cardiff City fan
    banker
    Essex
    sex game
    orange
    accident

Quote Originally Posted by Peace Frog wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 16:14
    Trending tomorrow will be

Quote Originally Posted by Rumney-Coleman wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 16:08
    She will have Death in Service - whereby she dies you get £xxxxx.
    I've just realised that we've got 3 separate travel insurance products too (maybe 4). Ridiculous.

Juss wondering how a poster called Optimistic Nick has a bundle of insurances...

ASU is good, if you need it. Although does come at a price. £57 a month is a bargain if you need to claim on it, but does depend on the period which I believe you can select. ie - if you company pays you full wage for 6 months, you dont need pay until then etc. If you can support everything on a single salary then you may find cancelling it better. Income Protection is very good, as you normally run it until your anticapated retirement age, and would pay out for things like stress, backache etc, until you returned to work, although you only claim once your sick pay stops. Again can be expensive depending on how much sick pay you get, and what job you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 16:24
    Juss wondering how a poster called Optimistic Nick has a bundle of insurances...
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Wed, 11 March 2015 16:00
    As I'm sure is the case for many of you, my employer gives me a bunch of critical illness/personal accident/life assurances and insurances. Oddly, I also get a life assurance policy for my wife i.e. if she dies, my employer gives me a cash lump sum. It's something like 5x salary.
    She will stop breathing, go stiff and will be less responsive in bed.

I only usually do rabbits but for a fair price I'll give it a bash if your up for it?
    Nudge nudge, Wink Wink!