+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can we go to fight IS and come back home as heroes?

Can we go to fight IS and come back home as heroes?

It seems that the ex-marine is not the only British National who was out fighting IS so i wonder what sort of dilemma it would give the FO and the security services if more and more people decide to go out there.

Anyone who has been in or near firefights can tell you that the 'buzz' never leaves you. Injuries and death are horrific but in the main, young lads coming back after combat are not in the least affected and most hungered to go back.

People might not like this, but it is a fact.

so, with Afghanistan over and the armed forces in a lull, where do all the young lads look to for excitement?

INFANTRY is so named because Napoleon formed a regiment full of kids. In the main, most lads are in at 17/18 and out by 23 - there is a hell of a gap to fill post Afghanistan.

So we have thousands of trained, bored and very professional young lads who might still be keen to take the battle to Islamic extremists.

I think we might see a trend developing - especially as more funds are made available to fight IS.

That would be an interesting scrap at Heathrow airport.

But is it morally acceptable?

Re: Can we go to fight IS and come back home as heroes?

What happened to those who went to Spain to take part in the Civil War?

I wanted to go but her indoors wants the garden looked after.

You can't have one rule for certain people and another rule for others. Don't go end off

why not if you are defending decent people from other nations from the scum of isis .......surely no one can defend what they do to normal decent human beings

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 17:53
    You can't have one rule for certain people and another rule for others. Don't go end off
    End off sounds very painful.

I'm waiting for Tony Blair to send me over there

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 18:07
    Oppppsss

and one wanting to fight the above due to it being wrong

At one point those going out to join ISIS shared the British government's 'enemy'. I just don't see how Brits going out to act on behalf of the British view fighting Brits who had already gone out to act on behalf of the British view makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 18:36
    Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 18:07
    Oppppsss
    Black opppsss ?

Good luck to them if that's what they want to do. I'm opposed to Britain, as a nation state, having any part in that conflict but if individual British people want to oppose the death cult that is ISIL, then that's their call.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 18:36
    you mean one rule for people wanting to behead / burn alive innocent " Kafir / Infidel's "
    Saying that I wouldn't lose any sleep if Isis were wiped out completely.

I wonder if the Politicians look back and feel silly about how they told us the President of Syria was the really evil one and he was the one needed carpet bombing to support ISIS.

Hmmm.....

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 17:26
    It seems that the ex-marine is not the only British National who was out fighting IS so i wonder what sort of dilemma it would give the FO and the security services if more and more people decide to go out there.
    Bored people looking for excitement, going abroad to kill other people.

you mean one rule for people wanting to behead / burn alive innocent " Kafir / Infidel's "
    You should do a little more research on the matter. All sides are committing atrocities. I am sceptical of the truth of the matter.

Richyrich

ISIS are not Syrian rebels. Never have been, never will be.

In fact, ISIS have been fighting Syrian rebels far more than they have been fighting Syrian forces.

ISIS are just opportunists in Syria, no side wants them there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 19:36
    Yes we know the Iraq / Shi'ite militia will " have revenge " on ISIS ( but lets not forget these are ISIS fighters they have captured, though it is of course wrong, but no war is right, alot of the Iraq army will have the slaughter of the hundreds of iraq cadets still in memory )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 21:13
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 19:36
    You should do a little more research on the matter. All sides are committing atrocities. I am sceptical of the truth of the matter.
    And what happened before the Iraqi cadets were murdered. How far back do you go when accepting that revenge killing happens?

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 13 March 2015 17:31
    I see no problem in another National Brigade fighting against another bunch of Fascists.

All dead now unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesWales wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 00:26
    He died when I was 8 , I would have loved to hear some of his stories .

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 00:38
    As is my Bamps. Was also serving with Pancho Villa in the Mexican Revolutions.
    Respect to him. Homage to Catalonia is a great book. The whole conflict was overshadowed by WW2 of course, but to fight Franca - that was honourable.

What I meant was how were such people regarded by the British government of the day? I have a book about the Spanish Civil War right here but haven't started it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Sat, 14 March 2015 07:28
    What I meant was how were such people regarded by the British government of the day? I have a book about the Spanish Civil War right here but haven't started it yet.
    When the British Battalion of the International Brigade was disbanded in 1938 some 300 were met by a crowd of wellwishers in London. These included Clement Atlee and Stafford Cripps.