+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: my daughter in law has fallen for a scam

Banned

my daughter in law has fallen for a scam

sorry for all the nugent threads but I aint been on here a while.
    my daughter in law fell for a facebook advert that advertised one of those "do you want to earn £500 pw from home" malarkey ads.
    So she didn't tell anyone and contacted the guy.
    so this bloke basically says he sells stuff on ebay and to avoid tax, people pay for goods into my daughter in laws paypal account.
    she goes to bank to take his cash out and a "courier" comes to collect the money and she keeps her cut.
    Thankfully the bank saw strange activity and blocked her account until she provides proof of what has been going on.
    unfortunately the guy has collected about £6K and whats left in her account was her £800 cut.
    Anyone know what this guy was up to? the bank has told her to go to police, which she has.
    will she get her money?
    cheers

Re: my daughter in law has fallen for a scam

Quote Originally Posted by nugent wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 12:18
    sorry for all the nugent threads but I aint been on here a while.
    Hope she likes prison food.

Possibly he is offering items on ebay with no intension of supplying them and is using your daughter in law and others bank accounts as a way of getting his cash . When people complain theynot recieved the items , paypal will look to recover money from the accounts .

Banned

that's what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by nugent wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 12:28
    that's what I thought.
    Even though £6k is a large amount of money , she is lucky it was picked up on quite quickly .

Is she actually out of pocket?

I suppose it could be tax evasion: he could be a trader who should be registered for VAT but is evading (NOT avoiding) it by paying people to take payment for him so the bank doesn't see loads of money come in to his own account. There may well be income tax evasion in that, too. He's giving her more than 10% of the sales proceeds though so whatever he was evading, it was worth it to him. I imagine it is more likely that he was selling stolen goods and didn't want anyone to see the proceeds coming in, or something like that.

I've no idea if she would be in trouble for her involvement but it's hard to see how she could have thought it was legitimate, really.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 12:31
    shes not out of pocket. shes lucky to have kept screenshots of all the conversations on facebook

Quote Originally Posted by nugent wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 12:33
    I suppose it could be tax evasion: he could be a trader who should be registered for VAT but is evading (NOT avoiding) it by paying people to take payment for him so the bank doesn't see loads of money come in to his own account. There may well be income tax evasion in that, too. He's giving her more than 10% of the sales proceeds though so whatever he was evading, it was worth it to him. I imagine it is more likely that he was selling stolen goods and didn't want anyone to see the proceeds coming in, or something like that.
    Good, well done her. Although the fact that she was taking screenshots just shows that she knew it wasn't really kosher in the first place. I'm not going to criticise because I don't know her circumstances, but it was so obviously a scam, the guy didn't even try to dress it up as anything else!

Be careful with those if they have her agreeing to assist in tax evasion .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 12:37
    I've no idea if she would be in trouble for her involvement but it's hard to see how she could have thought it was legitimate, really.
    that's a point. I told her, when she goes to the cop shop to just come clean, show them everything, shes young, play the act dull card. 2 kids and all that

Yeh...sounds like a possible tax evasion scheme.

Feedback would be proud of him.

She must be a blonde

Quote Originally Posted by Cathaze Blue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 13:55
    What I find alarming is that he was either brazenly discussing a very blatant, poorly-disguised tax evasion scheme; or he is up to something else even more sinister, and thought that tax evasion was legal and so used that as his cover story.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 16:45
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathaze Blue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 13:55
    What I find alarming is that he was either brazenly discussing a very blatant, poorly-disguised tax evasion scheme; or he is up to something else even more sinister, and thought that tax evasion was legal and so used that as his cover story.
    Basicaly it is just a money laundering scam . Unfortunately it could be costly for Nugents relative .

Seen this scam reported on Fake Britain about a year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 20:18
    Seen this scam reported on Fake Britain about a year ago.
    That being the case then it's very selfish of you not to warn nugent about it before.

get a lawyer quick

SO he sells fake crap on eBay - using her account - customers pay money into her account from their eBay account - she then takes the money out in cash and hands to a 'courier' (probably the man in question).

As far as te criminal law is concerned - isnt it she who is committing an offence - aiding and abetting for starters, money laundering, fraud could be a few more...

I'd call a lawyer - keeping screen shots on facebook means F all - the person concerned will be using a fake profile and either the TOR network or various shared proxy servers when connecting to the internet

Re: get a lawyer quick

Stoopid bloody moo

Re: get a lawyer quick

Nugent mun. What is going to happen is the people that between them spent 6k on eBay will file claims with PayPal when their goods don't arrive. The crook will ignore it and after a month PayPal will refund the buyer. They'll do that by debiting Her paypal account.

Get her down her bank and down the cop shop to explain everything asap.