+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The demise of Parks football in Cardiff

The demise of Parks football in Cardiff

Sort of rammed it home. There would be 20 odd matches there years ago.

Speaking to one of the guys there it's the same a Trelai, barely a handful of matches Sat or Sun.

Sad really

Re: The demise of Parks football in Cardiff

Someone has to say it :

If it's Parks Football you want, go to the CCS!

I think it's the same in Newport, top division there only has 14 teams I think.

Pitch and changing room price increase of 150% in the last 3 years. Salaries rising slower than cost of living. Less disposable income and much higher price to play. Council would make more from higher quantities paying less and also encourage healthier lifestyles and the obvious benefits of this (financially and morally)

Seems to be the same here in Barry. They hardly ever put the local fixtures or league tables in the local paper any more.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by pagraham wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 15:03
    Pitch and changing room price increase of 150% in the last 3 years. Salaries rising slower than cost of living. Less disposable income and much higher price to play. Council would make more from higher quantities paying less and also encourage healthier lifestyles and the obvious benefits of this (financially and morally)
    Modern life seems to preclude so many people from making such time consuming commitments IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 15:18
    This has to be a factor although I would also suggest that there are fewer people around to run these clubs.
    Possibly our leisure time choices have changed, and our culture and attitudes to 'free' time too.

The only positive is that the likes of Powerleague and Gol are rammed for 5-6 nights of the week.
    It's easier to organise and you get more of a run.
    You also don't have to put the nets up !

Both of my sons play in the junior leagues and they are rammed full of teams. Are sure that it's not simply a case that games have been cancelled so the players can watch the Wales game?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianboy1 wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 15:53
    Both of my sons play in the junior leagues and they are rammed full of teams. Are sure that it's not simply a case that games have been cancelled so the players can watch the Wales game?
    On a side note, my daughter's boyfriend plays rugby for Tonyrefail and he tells me there are only 2 youth rugby teams left in the Rhondda now.

I think the pyramid system hasn't helped the parks, clubs like Grange Quins, Ely Rangers Caerau Ely, Dians Powis Cardiff Dracs, STM SplottAlbion, St Joes, St Albans, Grange Albion, Whitchurch, Lisvane,Tongwynlais, Bridgend Street Butetown, Cogan Fairwater, Llanrumney Canton, are all in higher leagues now, and no longer play on Cardiff 'parks'like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 16:37
    I think the pyramid system hasn't helped the parks, clubs like Grange Quins, Ely Rangers Caerau Ely, Dians Powis Cardiff Dracs, STM SplottAlbion, St Joes, St Albans, Grange Albion, Whitchurch, Lisvane,Tongwynlais, Bridgend Street Butetown, Cogan Fairwater, Llanrumney Canton, are all in higher leagues now, and no longer play on Cardiff 'parks'like they used to.
    hasnt grange quins packed in

First they came for the pubs, then they came for the parks football, and next they will be coming for you. Serfdom beckons.

Parks football over there was killed off by the Council and the Welsh Eisteddfod (dodgy spelling) - they destroyed the pitches and promised that in 3 months they would lay new ones - they Lied , about 2 years later they restored them - by which time teams had gone elsewhere - plus as someone said the council increased the prices by a ridiculous amount.

This has to be a factor although I would also suggest that there are fewer people around to run these clubs.
    Every south wales town needs a gwyn john

Not sure about Saturdays but a lot of Sunday league teams now play at Cardiff Uni in Llanrumney as, with the council price hike, you get miles better facilities for only a little bit more money.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Riley wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 19:00
    Every town/area had a person who for decades had almost single handingly run an amateur sports club.
    Destroyed when Gwyn came out as a Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 19:38
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Riley wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 19:00
    Every town/area had a person who for decades had almost single handingly run an amateur sports club.
    Modern life seems to preclude so many people from making such time consuming commitments IMO.
    Season ticket holder ffs,must be the only jack in llantwit!

Quote Originally Posted by poc wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 16:39
    Quote Originally Posted by G rangetown Blue wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 16:37
    hasnt grange quins packed in
    Might be time to start again for them?

think they would have to start in the district league again grange if they tried to return but spiraling costs are affecting local clubs at the minute

oh well so it's only st patricks and the albion left in strangetown !

Quote Originally Posted by Mozzer1 wrote on Sat, 28 March 2015 21:38
    think they would have to start in the district league again grange if they tried to return but spiraling costs are affecting local clubs at the minute
    Maybe it's for the best, the Quins are coming 'home'!