I've read bits about Apple TV on here before.
I am sure some wise experienced head will come to my aid on this board. I am in the States visiting friends and last Saturday through the miracle of the Internet was able to watch the whole S**** game on my iPad using Vipbox via the Puffin browser. It was superb quality with hardly any buffering and probably better than I would have experienced at home in London!

My pal who I'm visiting told me that he had Apple tv (belatedly) so I thought "right, we'll watch MOTD later on the TV screen".

I managed to get MOTD up live, via Cricfree (the iPlayer is not available outside UK) but when switching on AirPlay on the iPad to connect to the Apple TV box, all I could get on the TV was the sound - no picture. Later tried Sky Sports - same result. Which brought me to the conclusion that to protect subscriptions, Apple tv is probably deliberately disabled from projecting vision. Makes sense to me. But can anybody categorically confirm that?
More importantly, anyone know of a workaround?!

I should add of course that Apple TV works fine with YouTube- sound and vision. I think it's in just showing TV programs that it is limited.