+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Gwyn's View

Re: Big Gwyn's View

Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Sat, 18 April 2015 22:07
    I thought many of the biggest tossers in our fanbase were staying away....well until they come crawling back mores the pity, in the meantime they hang round like a bad smell. Most fans dont want to join the Trust because they associate it with the people and opinions posted on this thread.
    Until this club is in a state of financial ruin without an owner then just get on with supporting the club. The statements are indeed beautifully worded but unfortunately a business owner would find them laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by ★★★★★★★★ wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 06:50
    The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    Furthermore, every club that comes out of the Premier Leave are forced to make these measures to a certain extent.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 05:24
    I thought many of the biggest tossers in our fanbase were staying away....well until they come crawling back mores the pity, in the meantime they hang round like a bad smell. Most fans dont want to join the Trust because they associate it with the people and opinions posted on this thread.
    Everyone who doesnt agree with me must be a tosser mentality might make you feel superior on a message board but its never going to get much support in the real world.
    It's really a shame fans continue to think like this imo. Makes me wonder whether British football ever has a chance to move to a model where supporter engagement is considered a normal part of the game as it is elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 10:11
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 05:24
    Everyone who doesnt agree with me must be a tosser mentality might make you feel superior on a message board but its never going to get much support in the real world.
    Let's face it. It's an ineffectual small group of hobbyists.
    it works out west but hey ho not for some it seems

It's not that joining the Trust makes anyone feel superior it's just that those in the Trust can see that we've gone from Sam to Riddler to Tan to absent Tan and yet people still don't want to be interested in the club off the field...

There does seem to be a split between those who consider football purely a business and those who think a football club can be something more. I would argue those who turn up Saturday and care for 90 minutes only (because the club doesn't exist outside this) are more hobbyists than those putting in their spare time to try and make the club better. When it all goes tits up it will be the Trust members trying to pick up the pieces, if they haven't been broken down by those saying it's just a business.

Every club dropping out the premier league does it to some extent? True, but how many do it as we have. We were spending mega bucks after Ole left then a few weeks later we had a manager telling us we'd have to sell off to survive. Malky said when leaving that he was 2 years into a 3 year plan but the direction seems to change every 6 months under Tan's money and look where it's got us. Perhaps asking what the plan is translates to "is there actually a plan now?" which is a very valid question.

I think it's a Celtic thing, even if it's for the best we'll be dammed before moving forward as a collective. Gwyn represents himself but he also represents the "let's get on with it, we have no right to know" crowd which dominates this club....well until results start to go against us.

If you're happy with how things are going (and have been all your time supporting) don't join the Trust, if you think they can be better then get involved

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 10:51
    It's not that joining the Trust makes anyone feel superior it's just that those in the Trust can see that we've gone from Sam to Riddler to Tan to absent Tan and yet people still don't want to be interested in the club off the field...
    Perhaps I'm looking at it too pragmatically.

I'd prefer it be thought of as a forward-thinking way to run a club rather than just remain a knee-jerk reaction to mopping up messes personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 13:07
    Fair play - that's a really well balanced response
    I also don't think that its a case of wait until the shit hits the fan to really care, we can see the shit accumulating at the moment, so it makes sense to me that you prepare for more shit.

Hmmm as I recall the Trust did little more than write to the club about the rebrand back in 2012 after only 22% of their membership voted against the change to red. 78% supported the change or couldn,t be bothered either way.
    The business success of the change to red .......well in red the club had its highest average crowds since the 1950s, highest league position and revenues. If we had appointed a manager in Dec 2013 and stayed up we would still be in red with even higher crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 22:44
    Hmmm as I recall the Trust did little more than write to the club about the rebrand back in 2012 after only 22% of their membership voted against the change to red. 78% supported the change or couldn,t be bothered either way.
    I also disagree that the red rebrand had a positive effect, my gut feeling is that the increase in attendance was as a result of being in the Premier League. Appreciate that others feel that the rebrand was positive, though there seems to relatively few people who vocally argue for the club to be playing in red at the moment.

According to the Trust there was a majority of the 280 odd who could be bothered to vote against red but. I think it equated to 154 votes. But that was 2012.
    The point I make is simple in that 27,000 were content to see a winning side....red shirts weren,t an issue, Against Brighton you will recall thousands in red scarves.
    No rewriting of history can change these facts.
    The world has moved on , but back to blue has seen the club lose thousands of fans , far more stay away now than ever did in protest against red shirts. What was it 12,000 there yesterday and we have lost 11,000 season ticket holders next season....I was told it was 7,000 sold but I accept it could be less.
    Just like the success of red , the failure of blue is about what happens on the field.
    I really want to believe that Tan will re-assess over the summer as if the downward spiral continues he will never see his £100 million again and will have the shame of being one of the biggest losers in football club ownership.
    Like so many clubs in the championship....which owe a billion between them, the only hope of clearing the debt is reaching the
    Premiership. Oh unless of course Tan goes for turning his debt into equity....surely he would be dumb enough to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Bay Bhoy wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 07:20
    The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    The fact trust membership is still low even after the rebrand is a damning insight to how thick most city supporters are.
    Although I have worked with Premier League clubs I must confess to have no experience of Premier Leave ones

Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 23:41
    According to the Trust there was a majority of the 280 odd who could be bothered to vote against red but. I think it equated to 154 votes. But that was 2012.
    Position when red to blue announced: Championship 12th

Ahhh all these posters waking up to the fact that back to blue has been a failure ......all of them on a wind up, and the 6,000 season ticket holders staying away from the last home game , all on an organised mass wind up , probably organised by that Gwyn bloke just to make the Trust look foolish. And the 18,000 City fans who want nothing to do with the Trust - all on a wind up so best ignore them. After all the few hundred regular posters on this message board really know whats going on, every night they keep telling each other how wrong the 94% of city fans really are.
    The 6% are right and the 94% deserve contempt for not being as pure and holy as the Trust who like the Pope are infallible.
    How dare people like that Gwyn bloke question the self rightous Trust

Quote Originally Posted by [quote title=Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 00:20
    Tiger Bay Bhoy wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 07:20] The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    The fact trust membership is still low even after the rebrand is a damning insight to how thick most city supporters are.
    I think you know full well I meant Premier League. Cheap shot fella, cheap shot, but to be expected as you put yourself out there and don't like it when fans offer a different view.

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 21:51
    Taken from his Facebook.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar Lothbrok wrote on Mon, 13 April 2015 20:59
    Big Gwyn wrote at some point on Mon
    still chuckle everytime I see Gwyn representing himself though

Quote Originally Posted by [quote title=Tiger Bay Bhoy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 20:56
    Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 00:20] The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    The fact that an accountant questions the cost cutting measures of the club proves how out of touch the trust are on reality.
    I actually think it is very healthy if people have different views but it would be nice if those views were based on facts rather than guesswork or the blind following of other posters similarly incorrect claims.

Quote Originally Posted by [quote title=Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 21:48
    Tiger Bay Bhoy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 20:56] The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 00:20
    The fact that an accountant questions the cost cutting measures of the club proves how out of touch the trust are on reality.
    Perhaps he has only worked for profitable businesses.
    I'm a straw poll of one, but my view is that it's a bunch of guys (& maybe girls) who think they play an important role but really most people don't give a toss about it.... Accepting that some of the audience on here may be sycophantic supporters of it as a body.

Quote Originally Posted by [quote title=Toronto wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 01:29
    Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 21:48] The fact city have fans like gwyn is the reason a trust won't work unfortunately. We have too many celeb fans who value their own opinion too highly to want a democratic group to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Bay Bhoy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 20:56
    Quote Originally Posted by Since62 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 00:20
    Perhaps he has only worked for profitable businesses.
    Furthermore, every club that comes out of the Premier Leave are forced to make these measures to a certain extent.
    The Trust has done many good things and can/will do more again. It would also be far more powerful if we all got involved at just £1 per month. It is democratic so if you don't like it, get involved and change it ... But there again, that would mean giving up time and doing something positive when it's easier to do nothing and be hostile towards them.

No hostility here pal. Just seeking to understand. Unfortunately you've not really helped with that. I'll wait for a more articulate response

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 23:39
    Hmm this will be the Trust that claims to be the voice of the fans when it represents barely or perhaps just about 4% of fans so the other 96% will quite rightly point out that the Trust don,t represent them and therefore the Trust viewpoint should be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 13:56
    If there is to be engagement between club and fans it should be all fans getting a vote and for candidates like Vince and Gwyn or whoever else wants to put themselves forward not a pompous group of self serving inward looking and lets face it bordering on elderly has beens. As the Labour party called them old, male and stale,.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 12:31
    I tend to agree. 'With age comes wisdom' doesn't seem to apply does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 05:46
    Let me get this right, the Labour party is so desperate for votes that it thinks it can get some by labeling Cardiff City Supporters' Trust members "old, male and stale"? I will be watching the latest opinion polls more closely than I usually do to see if this turns out to be decisive in a very close election .
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 01:51
    Can I ask the man who, on this board anyway, exists only to slag off the Trust and his new disciple if you have bothered reading Monday's statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 01:00
    If you have done, you must have ignored or missed the following;
    I missed this first time around, so, tell me what hidden meaning within "I tend to agree. 'With age comes wisdom' doesn't seem to apply does it?" that means I've have misunderstood things by concluding that you agreed with our friend Sid have I missed?

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 01:29
    Sincere question.
    How can one be a "sycophantic supporter" of an organistaion like the Trust? What does that involve exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 04:26
    No hostility here pal. Just seeking to understand. Unfortunately you've not really helped with that. I'll wait for a more articulate response
    You asked the question and then dismissed the answer. The 'self important' insinuation just feels like another jibe disguised as a question tbh. I don't think NB's response was unreasonable and is pretty much how many Trust members would see it.

Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 20:15
    Ahhh all these posters waking up to the fact that back to blue has been a failure ......all of them on a wind up, and the 6,000 season ticket holders staying away from the last home game , all on an organised mass wind up , probably organised by that Gwyn bloke just to make the Trust look foolish. And the 18,000 City fans who want nothing to do with the Trust - all on a wind up so best ignore them. After all the few hundred regular posters on this message board really know whats going on, every night they keep telling each other how wrong the 94% of city fans really are.
    It's time to build bridges but when Gwyn talks it's difficult not to remember that he was full of manure for such a long period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 07:04
    Hmm this will be the Trust that claims to be the voice of the fans when it represents barely or perhaps just about 4% of fans so the other 96% will quite rightly point out that the Trust don,t represent them and therefore the Trust viewpoint should be ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 23:39
    If there is to be engagement between club and fans it should be all fans getting a vote and for candidates like Vince and Gwyn or whoever else wants to put themselves forward not a pompous group of self serving inward looking and lets face it bordering on elderly has beens. As the Labour party called them old, male and stale,.
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 13:56
    I tend to agree. 'With age comes wisdom' doesn't seem to apply does it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 12:31
    Let me get this right, the Labour party is so desperate for votes that it thinks it can get some by labeling Cardiff City Supporters' Trust members "old, male and stale"? I will be watching the latest opinion polls more closely than I usually do to see if this turns out to be decisive in a very close election .
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 05:46
    Can I ask the man who, on this board anyway, exists only to slag off the Trust and his new disciple if you have bothered reading Monday's statement?
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 01:51
    If you have done, you must have ignored or missed the following;
    Quote Originally Posted by sidhooper7 wrote on Fri, 17 April 2015 01:00
    "We are disappointed at the lack of promised fans' forums and Russell Slade's apparent reluctance to meet with the fans."
    Oh dear... Read my first reply again. This time try breaking it down into the sentences I used. I'll give you a clue....focus on the second sentence...it has the word pompous in it as a further clue.