+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Is this the most depressing City side in a decade?

Is this the most depressing City side in a decade?

Under Grumpy Jones, we failed constantly to get over that final hurdle. It was frustrating, upsetting and he got a lot of deserved stick at times. That said, he operated on a shoe string and at least we knew that year in, year out, we would be challenging, competitive.
    Ultimately he didnt have the nous or funds (or probably a combination) to get us up, but we became an established top championship side as a result. The Cardiff City of today (pre-2014/15) is a result in many aspects, of the Grumpy years.
    Would he have got us promoted given the funds thrown at Malky - we will never know. My thoughts are that he wouldnt, that he was indeed on the wane.
    Today though, the club is a shadow, barely a shadow of its former self. Despite an incredible amount of investment we have gone so far backwards as to be unrecognisable from the team Jones got to Wembley for cup and play-off finals.
    The team itself is made up of journeymen and waning former quality players supported in turn by a somewhat talented back-up of young players not trusted by the manager - who is desperate to cling onto a job he has not got the acumen for.
    The fans are at an all-time low in terms of morale and the players all look like they have an eye on their next club - anxious to get away from a manager and assistant manager who are both at least a full division out of their depth.
    Season ticket sales are barely trickling and gates are dwindling as the side makes the football played under Malky Mackay look almost joyful.
    Ive known worse times as a city fan but at least in the bad old sad old days we didnt expect so disapointment was never so tough to stomach.
    Dave Jones built and established a football team that belonged at the top of the Championship, always there or thereabouts for the big league. We have come to expect better as a result.

Have we had worse managers than Slade - yes we have but they were not in the championship in a team expected to challenge for promotion.

Slade has been the most disastrous appointment in many years - even worse than Ole who i still suspect would have dont better given more than half a dozen games this season.

We cannot attract players for next season to this shambles of a club. slade will probably have pointed to Bournemouth when bullshitting Vincent Tan as an example of how teams can get on an upward curve without multi-millions. Bournemouth have a talented manager able to make a decent team play excellent football. Slade couldnt inspire a depressed alcoholic to take a drink of lager.

We can talk about Tan and the ongoing shambles but football is played on the pitch and the players really only respond to instruction from the manager.

Tan could have saved this diabolical situation but he chose the wrong man. If Slade is here next season it really could be the beginning of the end for this club.

We are in dire financial straits and the only way out is for success on the field - everything else comes from there.

I cant remember a time when i was so angry as a CIty fan. Even the red doesnt seem as upsetting as watching this bumbling idiot drive my club into the ground.

Re: Is this the most depressing City side in a decade?

Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 11:17
    Under Grumpy Jones, we failed constantly to get over that final hurdle. It was frustrating, upsetting and he got a lot of deserved stick at times. That said, he operated on a shoe string and at least we knew that year in, year out, we would be challenging, competitive.
    There have been worse lows over the year's.But not many as low as this.I was more pissed off at losing in that last match at Ninian park than i was yesterday.But not much.If we lose against Blackpool next week we must start chanting Slade out.Why only a few of us are being vocal is beyond me.

Disenchantment. Nobody cares any more

Makes you appreciate Malky's boring football, eh?

I've seen poorer teams than this one but there is one big difference, City could'nt afford a pot to piss in and managers had to make do with mainly other teams has-beens and cast offs, Slade on the other hand has had the luxury of taking over a team that on paper was considered favourites for promotion due to the (alleged) quality in the side and also had the opportunity in january of strengthening the squad, something that previous duff managers never had the luxury of.Taking all into account he is probably the most clueless manager ever seen down here and if he stays for next season it will surely be a disaster for the club.

The tactics are woeful, on paper the squad has been weakened no doubt but there are still (on paper at least) some decent players in that team who should be performing better. I can't help but think they aren't fully behind Slade and that is a problem for everyone. His tactics are woeful, the ball was pinning around, still so many long balls to Doyle and Mason, yesterday really made me appreciate just how much Kenwyne Jones did to get a hold of any possession for us.

What annoys me most is the setup, such a negative, defensive set up against a team in the bottom three at home when we have absolutely nothing but pride to play for. Go out and give it a go and at least try to enjoy the match. We were set up to nick a goal from a set piece and the players had no desire to really do anything but that. Disappointing all around.

Have we had worse managers than Slade - yes we have but they were not in the championship in a team expected to challenge for promotion.

Yes the last one a certain OGS!

Generally we have had something to cheer us up every season for most of last 15 years.
    00/1 Promotion from the basement
    01/2 Play Offs
    02/3 Play Offs and Promotion at Millennium
    03/4 1st season back in 2nd tier for nearly 20 years
    04/5 not a lot!
    06/7 Top of the League for the 1st half of the season
    07/8 FA Cup Final
    08/9 In the Play Offs for most of the season, dropping out on the last day.
    09/10 New stadium. Play Off Final
    10/11 Play Offs
    11/12 Play Offs and League Cup Fina;
    12/13 Champions!
    13/14 Relegation
    14/15 Complete tedium.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 17:51
    How could you miss out 05/06 (Koumas' first coming)!

The 80/90s produced many a depressing City team its the owner whose proved to be the biggest hindrance. Bearing in mind some of the beauts we've had running the club that's an achievement.

The ****ing wanker.