+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Can Anybody Answer This

Can Anybody Answer This

I've probably seen 100 games in the Cardiff City Stadium. In at least 95 of them City have started the game attacking the Grangetown end and finished them attacking the Canton end. Why is this?

Do teams just not bother changing ends now? Are they even offered the choice anymore, or does the captain who wins the toss always opt to take the kick off?

It's been puzzling me for ages and I don't know anyone who knows the answer.

Re: Can Anybody Answer This

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 15:23
    I've probably seen 100 games in the Cardiff City Stadium. In at least 95 of them City have started the game attacking the Grangetown end and finished them attacking the Canton end. Why is this?
    I think teams tend to choose to attack the end with the most vociferous support in the second half, to please the 'hardcore' fans. We usually attacked the Grange in the second half at NP.

Quote Originally Posted by Colon Man wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 15:27
    I think teams tend to choose to attack the end with the most vociferous support in the second half, to please the 'hardcore' fans. We usually attacked the Grange in the second half at NP.
    Yes, I understand that teams often prefer to do that but how do City manage to get the choice so often?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 15:38
    Yes, I understand that teams often prefer to do that but how do City manage to get the choice so often?
    Because the away team also chooses to play towards their own fans in the second half?

Whoever wins the toss chooses the end to attack. If the away team wins they'll probably want to attack towards their fans in the second half too, which is the other end to the Canton.

That's the answer of course. Both captains want to play it the same way round. Also explains why the same situation didn't occur at NP. Thanks both.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric The Blue wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 16:04
    That's the answer of course. Both captains want to play it the same way round. Also explains why the same situation didn't occur at NP. Thanks both.
    Actually, my answer re: Ninian Park doesn't make sense in this light, does it, but I'm sure we attacked towards the Grange more often than not in the second half, or is that a false memory?

I'm certain they swapped ends more often at NP than they do at CCS. Whether City mostly attacked the Grange end in the second half I really can't remember. Its quite a while ago now.

Do teams just not bother changing ends now? Are they even offered the choice anymore, or does the captain who wins the toss always opt to take the kick off?
    Odd that it differs from your recollection, seeing as 'we are the same person'.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 17:13
    It's been puzzling me for ages and I don't know anyone who knows the answer.

Have we seen City attack any of the ends this season?

Quote Originally Posted by pathay wrote on Sun, 19 April 2015 22:42
    Have we seen City attack any of the ends this season?
    I see what you did there.

City like del boy have a 2 headed coin. That way when we call it we nearly always get the end we want. On the odd occassion one of our thick players does a Rodney and calls tails. Case closed Bob.