+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ot- use of foodbanks

ot- use of foodbanks

Feedback

Re: ot- use of foodbanks

TBG posted the other day that this government has made it a lot easier for people to get parcels from foodbanks and if you make it easier for people to do something then more of them will do it.

I don't know what the answer is - if the government go back to making it harder to get parcels and the figures fall then I imagine they would be called heartless but if they make it easier they are castigated for leaving others behind.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 15:50
    TBG posted the other day that this government has made it a lot easier for people to get parcels from foodbanks and if you make it easier for people to do something then more of them will do it.
    Also, how do you think the Foodbanks work?

There really are some heartbreaking incidents in there.

As a cash strapped student I wouldn't snub a £30 weekly shop if it was offered to me.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 15:57
    I don't know what the answer is - if the government go back to making it harder to get parcels and the figures fall then I imagine they would be called heartless but if they make it easier they are castigated for leaving others behind.
    but if that did happen then you can be sure that some would claim the government are trying to massage the figures, ignoring the fact apples are now being compared with apples rather than oranges

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 15:58
    the point I was raising what that TBG showed that some of the rise could be down to it now being easier to acquire food parcels than it was previously. there is no way of saying for sure and I'm pretty sure whether you believe the possibility would depend entirely on your political viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:00
    What does this mean?
    This is about the reasons that some people end up having to go to a food bank

Heisenberg

What does this mean?
    The only influence the government have on Foodbanks is how they effect people's welfare (austerity and JCP mistakes)

Sounds to me like the benefits are stopped because a number of different reasons. 2 benefit appointments at the same time, needed to go to funeral etc etc.

What they should do perhaps is give people 3 chances - and if they keep on missing the appointments (and wasting peoples time) then they need to know the consequences on doing so.

There are obviously genuine cases that get included in the cases of the 'cant be @rsed' category.

3 strikes and your out - that should apply to benefits staff , and Ministers as well

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:14
    What does this mean?
    in May 2010 you had to have permission from the job centre (IIRC) to get a food parcel, now you don't. If the government went back to that process it would be harder for people to get food parcels and we could see the numbers drop (then again we might not).
    I see almost half are related to benefits changes or delays..in the case of delays can't the process be speeded up to ensure this doesn't happen.

The people that can refer you to a foodbank are :-
    A doctor
    A social worker
    A health visitor
    The police
    Somebody from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

So not means tested then ?
    Does anyone check that the referrers actually do any checks themselves - or do they just say - yes - stop wasting my time.

Why the F U C K is a Doctor having their valuable time wasted by now being a food bank approver is a joke

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:20
    What does this mean?
    in May 2010 you had to have permission from the job centre (IIRC) to get a food parcel, now you don't. If the government went back to that process it would be harder for people to get food parcels and we could see the numbers drop (then again we might not).
    but if that did happen then you can be sure that some would claim the government are trying to massage the figures, ignoring the fact apples are now being compared with apples rather than oranges
    In regards to speeding up the process We're talking about the DWP here.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:23
    The people that can refer you to a foodbank are :-
    Referrers are often involved with these people on a regular basis and know their situation inside out.

Freud also said, incidentally, that there was "actually no evidence as to whether the use of food banks is supply led or demand led."

Feedback

As ever dtm, you are correct and no other posts are now required.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:02
    Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 15:58
    If you read the link I posted I don't think any of those people are using food banks because it is easier to do so, more that they have no other option due to the way the system works.
    It wasn't a political point as I don't get involved in the party political Punch and Judy shows on here. My point was that if the supply of free food increases then it is likely that the take-up will rise too. (I didn't mention 'food parcels' or the government, if that makes any difference).

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 18:48
    This government has no say in the "easiness" of getting food parcels. Foodbanks exist to cater for those that have not received the help they need - largely (but not exclusively) because of government policy and the pressures put on the DWP to impose sanctions. I don't know what TBG said, but if as you claim, he said that the government was making access to foodbanks easier then he was wrong.
    See above.

Feedback

Thanks TBG, that was the point I was making too. Also, as I said earlier in this thread, whether an individual believes that or not depends on their political viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 18:50
    thats stumped him

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 18:54
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Tim Muff wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 18:48
    This government has no say in the "easiness" of getting food parcels. Foodbanks exist to cater for those that have not received the help they need - largely (but not exclusively) because of government policy and the pressures put on the DWP to impose sanctions. I don't know what TBG said, but if as you claim, he said that the government was making access to foodbanks easier then he was wrong.
    The Lord Freud argument that the rise in demand for foodbanks is because "Food from a food bank--the supply--is a free good, and by definition there is an almost infinite demand for a free good" has already been widely condemned.
    I disagree with you in this case. Whilst we are talking about the supply of free food, it is not a free supply. It is quite carefully controlled and is definitely demand led. You can't just go and get this free stuff - you have to be referred. It is quite unlikely that you will be referred if there is not a very real, independently assessed need - or "demand". It is this that drives "take-up" - not the availability of free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 18:50
    My how you've changed!

Neither foodbanks or governments want foodbanks to be used on a regular basis. If it's easier to use as a one off that's quite different to needing them over an extended period of time.

What does this mean?
    I said no such thing! Can people please refrain from misquoting me. I never mention 'food parcels', I never mentioned the ease of obtaining food parcels and I never mentioned the process of how they are claimed. Jesus wept.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:20
    What does this mean?
    Too right you can't.