+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ot- use of foodbanks

Feedback

Re: ot- use of foodbanks

Isn't the biggest issue the timeliness of the DWP in processing benefits? That's the area that needs looking at First. In the technological age it shouldn't take more than a few days to process an application and get the money in the beneficiaries account.

The government are good at telling others e.g. banks to let customers change accounts within 7 days, yet they are incapable of ensuring their own agencies deliver the same level of customer service. The result is totally unnecessary hardship for a large group of people.

Heisenberg

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 08:44
    It appears nobody on this thread has been unfortunate enough to use a food bank. I haven't myself, maybe we should listen to someone who has, scroll down the link, press the arrow and listen about the subject first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 07:59
    Re: volunteering, there are many charities in Cardiff that could use an extra hand if you could spare a few hours a week. I'd happily send you some details if you're interested. If you could give me some indication of what area of volunteering would interest you (homelessness, foodbanks, disabilities etc) I would happily give you some info.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 11:15
    It appears nobody on this thread has been unfortunate enough to use a food bank. I haven't myself, maybe we should listen to someone who has, scroll down the link, press the arrow and listen about the subject first hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 08:44
    Mike aged 35 from new cross London..
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 07:59
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/feeding-brita in-lbc-radio-caller-shocks-listeners-by-describing-how-he-ca nt-afford-to-eat-9911138.html
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 20:26
    I've been unfortunate enough to have to use them on numerous occasions on behalf my service users. I hear these stories first hand.
    I think he is saying that if the masses don't experience it directly, then it can't be happening. This type mindset is not only exclusive to the issue of foodbanks, the government spends a huge amount of money on disinformation and they work hand-in-glove with their backers in the media. They also absolutely hate whistle blowers and journalists who tell the truth.

These foodbanks are a con. Last month I deposited four cans of beans there, and when I went back to withdraw them yesterday they had been eaten by a tramp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 10:41
    Isn't the biggest issue the timeliness of the DWP in processing benefits? That's the area that needs looking at First. In the technological age it shouldn't take more than a few days to process an application and get the money in the beneficiaries account.
    I'm not quite sure that you have grasped the current situtation. The DWP have 'unofficial targets' to sanction claimants in order to massage the figures and people are dying because of this.

Feedback

@Gluey

I'm saying nothing of the sort. I'm saying Heisenberg is closer to this issue than most on here and will have better experience and knowledge.

I'm also stating the the link in the OP shows that the single biggest reason for the use of food banks is the slow processing of benefits claims/applications. If that could be speeded up then a lot of cases could disappear.

I've volunteered to go and work at a food bank So I can see the issue first hand. Why not come and join me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 16:23
    The people that can refer you to a foodbank are :-
    I have no idea why a doctor would ensure children under their care are getting properly nourished

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 16:56
    @Gluey
    Foodbanks are not the problem here.

It's really sad that there is so much misinformation about food banks.

I work part time in East London in a foodbank.

A) We don't simply hand out food. People are referred by many agencies. Some of the most common are School Family Liaison Officers ( who often pick up on hungry children and families with financial problems), Salvation Army, local church groups and different branches of social services.

B) Food is limited. They are given 3 days supply and this is limited to a number of times over a 6 month period. You could not survive just from food banks.

C) When I speak to the clients they have nothing to gain by lying to me. They already have their voucher. I'm sure there are the odd few who perhaps don't deserve it but I am convinced that 95% plus do.

D) What has surprised me are the number who have held down really good jobs for many years. They are not the type of people who the Daily Mail love to bash... the feckless, lazy work shy. Most of the clients are embarrassed and desperate.

E) Most of you would not want to live on foodbank charity. All the food is tinned or packet food in most cases. Foodbanks don't accept fresh food donations as storage is such an issue.

F) When you see some poor souls leave the building struggling with 4 carrier bags and they go past the bus stop as they can't afford a ticket you appreciate how lucky you are to have a steady income.

G) Many of our clients have a temporary problem. Often it's workers on zero hours contracts for whom zero hours has been just that for a week or two. I had a skilled self employed man with a family to feed this winter who had been ill for 2 weeks and then had his car and central heating boiler break down. Not everyone is able to save adequately these days for these circumstances. I've also dealt with a man who was clearly intelligent, computer literate and keen to work. He was living in a tent in some nearby woods in the middle of winter.

I could carry on with many more stories but I hope you get the idea. There but for fortune go you and I...... and this is on the edge of one of the richest cities in the world.

Some of you may have heard Edwina Currie on the radio proclaiming to be an expert on food banks and criticising them. It was clear listening to her that she knew nothing. It reminded me of when she was part of a government that was espousing decency and back to basics.... whilst shacking up with John Major at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 17:20
    @Gluey
    Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 16:56
    I'm saying nothing of the sort. I'm saying Heisenberg is closer to this issue than most on here and will have better experience and knowledge.
    Exactly it's the governments way of saving money

Feedback

You think the government has specifically stated to the DWP they should delay paying benefits to cause unnecessary hardship? That's absurd. I appreciate things can get party political but try and be objective. Such a policy wouldn't make sense and would involve tens of thousands of DWP workers being involved.
    .its more likely a case of public sector bureaucracy designed to protect the taxpayer but failing to be flexible enough in all cases.

I'm sure with the right approach this could be resolved with a change in application process. We certainly have the technology and the capability within the civil service.

More than a million people have used food banks in past year

http://gu.com/p/47yy8

Admittedly it is the leftie influenced Guardian but does illustrate that the 'its getting better' mantra may just have a few holes in it.

Bon appetit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordi Culé wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 08:37
    More than a million people have used food banks in past year
    Of course, one person using them is one person too many

TH63,

Cheers for the information. A glaring miss by a number of media sources as it doesn't suit their political agendas.

Good of Rupert Murdoch's Sky being so thorough.