+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Steve Tucker: Why Cardiff City stalwart Peter Whittingham is a Bluebirds great

Steve Tucker: Why Cardiff City stalwart Peter Whittingham is a Bluebirds great

Article available on Walesonline.

He's right. Whittingham is a legend of Cardiff City. One of the greatest players we've ever had.

It's interesting to look at the dates he uses when describing Whittingham's talent. The most recent is where he dotes over that wonderful volley against Barnsley in 2011. I notice he doesn't mention free kicks, where for a virtuoso in such regard Whitts hasn't scored from for close to 3 years.

I think it's safe to assume that the Whittingham glory days have gone. He's hardly been the player he was when Dave Jones was at the club. He's still a decent enough Championship midfielder but does anyone really believe he's as good as he was 3 years ago? It could be argued that he was overachieving at this level.

Surely Whittingham can only be judged on his current performances? The moments of brilliance from years ago are that, years ago. He does what he wants? Corners apart, not much.

Re: Steve Tucker: Why Cardiff City stalwart Peter Whittingham is a Bluebirds great

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee wrote on Mon, 20 April 2015 23:27
    Surely Whittingham can only be judged on his current performances? The moments of brilliance from years ago are that, years ago. He does what he wants? Corners apart, not much.
    It depends on the purpose of the judgement. If it is to determine who starts the next game then yes. If it is to determine who our best players ever have been, then you look at his time here. He is one of the best players we've had in my 20+ years of supporting the club, and one of my favourites. Hard to believe now, but we were actually an exciting, attacking team with plenty of invention for the best part of a decade and he was a big part of that.

Re: Steve Tucker: Why Cardiff City stalwart Peter Whittingham is a Bluebirds great

When you call someone a "great" I don't think it's all about their current performance.

My personal opinion is, as a club we've be desperate for most of mine and I assume yours time following them, in that time Whittingham has been a quality player who stayed with the club even when us fans were worried about losing him and his talents deserved to move on. For that for me and the amount of games he's played for us he's a definite City "great".

Whitts has seen what? 4 managers and two caretaker spells, three different owners, two different leagues, two different club colours/badge, two different home stadium and what feels like hundreds of players come and go? Whatever your opinion on Whitts it has to be recognised that his appearance in the team photo is, perhaps, the only consistent factor about this club over the past ten years and that should not be so easily dismissed.

There are few players who you could call a true servant to a club but Whitts definitely falls into that category. His tenure here has coincided with a real roller coaster period for the club on and off the field. Also not only his contribution on the field, but also his conduct off it make him a cut above. His magic left wand will still be talked about in 20 years time, he's a great

Also he wore blue boots when we played in red and had the balls to ask Tan what everyone else was thinking.. where ya been?

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 00:25
    Whitts has seen what? 4 managers and two caretaker spells, three different owners, two different leagues, two different club colours/badge, two different home stadium and what feels like hundreds of players come and go? Whatever your opinion on Whitts it has to be recognised that his appearance in the team photo is, perhaps, the only consistent factor about this club over the past ten years and that should not be so easily dismissed.