+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: People who have moved away from Cardiff and surrounding area

Re: People who have moved away from Cardiff and surrounding area

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 23:28
    I used to watch Charlton occasionally when I lived in London and later became a steward at Welling United. Watched Gladbach and Dunfermline when I lived in Germany and Scotland respectively And I have a soft spot for Exeter and Yeovil. However, there's no substitute for one's hometown team although Tan put the tin lid on that strong affiliation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 23:26
    Are there any bilingual entries in your infamous spreadsheet? To be honest, the hairy armpits are a bit of a turn-off
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 23:21
    My first love was a blonde German girl with high cheekbones but that was a long, long time before internet dating was around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:56
    Talking of internet dating, I was taking a uni course when mIRC v1.0 first came out, and it led to a few international adventures during the 90's. It wasn't internet dating per say, but it was a paradigm shift in ways of meeting top international talent. I'll never forget the one from Singapore, she turned out to be a top model but for some reason kept it quiet during our chats. Blokes all over Cardiff were walking into lampposts for the best part of a fortnight
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:38
    Yeah I was nailing Cindy Crawford back in the 90s as well...... honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:35
    Hi, you're back
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:30
    Yeah, sorry mate, been busy this weekend flying Concorde around the world with top models who suffer with nymphomania.
    Actually it's a shitty business, I once had an ex who worked out of Milan. She had some horrendous stories to tell about exploitation and manipulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:43
    I used to watch Charlton occasionally when I lived in London and later became a steward at Welling United. Watched Gladbach and Dunfermline when I lived in Germany and Scotland respectively And I have a soft spot for Exeter and Yeovil. However, there's no substitute for one's hometown team although Tan put the tin lid on that strong affiliation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:38
    Are there any bilingual entries in your infamous spreadsheet? To be honest, the hairy armpits are a bit of a turn-off
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:35
    My first love was a blonde German girl with high cheekbones but that was a long, long time before internet dating was around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:30
    Germany is represented on my bedpost
    My list consisted of internet dates, not 'conquests'

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:35
    So you like Poole because they are on the brink of glory, but not so keen on City at the moment because they are playing crap?
    Been watching Poole sporadically for 8 years, been watching the City frequently for 40. Poole play 5 leagues below Cardiff so are technically significantly more crap. My change of viewing habits is purely down to costs, nothing more. I've driven in excess of 30k over the last 10 years to home games in Cardiff so I'd consider myself a fan that my club need.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:41
    Do you have other clubs on your new doorsteps that you support. Living in Poole and working in Bournemouth....
    Quote Originally Posted by DORSETBLUE wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 21:46
    In Dorset?
    Go to see Cheltenham probably 8-10 times per season. Worse than the City this season but more entertaining. Although when it's not the team you grew up supporting it's much easier to watch.

I lived in Staffordshire for a while and tried a few Sjoke, Vale & Crew games ... all to painful, especially when Sjoke lost 0-2 to the Jacks, who avoided relegation because of it! Jason "hair bear" Price scored both.

Do you have other clubs on your new doorsteps that you support. Living in Poole and working in Bournemouth I can honestly state I hate the Cherries. But Poole Town are on the brink of their own bit of glory, gone top of the league tonight and play Corby who they have leapfrogged tonight at home on Saturday, a draw will do them, a loss and Corby will pip them in promotion to the conference South. Exciting times and I will be biting my nails there on Saturday rather then wasting petrol on Russell Slades barmy army.
    It must be the way I am, but watching a team I have no connection with does nothing for me.

Lived near Highbury many years ago when Arsenal were truly boring. Used to walk up to Tottenham and watch Spurs whenever I could and they have been my second team now for 40 years.

Most local team now are Chamois Niortais F.C. in Ligue 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 09:27
    Do you have other clubs on your new doorsteps that you support. Living in Poole and working in Bournemouth I can honestly state I hate the Cherries. But Poole Town are on the brink of their own bit of glory, gone top of the league tonight and play Corby who they have leapfrogged tonight at home on Saturday, a draw will do them, a loss and Corby will pip them in promotion to the conference South. Exciting times and I will be biting my nails there on Saturday rather then wasting petrol on Russell Slades barmy army.
    I lived in London for almost 31 years and could get to Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR within an hour or less and Barnet within 20 minutes. I never once had an inkling to go and watch any of them.
    This , exactly.

Lived in Guildford, Surrey a few years ago so follow Aldershot's fortunes and of course we were the last team that they played before going bust but only ever been there as a City fan in the away end. Also lived in Cyprus and the local side was Enosis Neon Paralimni so followed there scores but was to busy to actually go to watch them play even though I only lived a couple of miles from there stadium.

Living in Swansea due to work purposes, supporting other teams around here err ummm....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWales wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 09:34
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Monk wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 09:27
    I lived in London for almost 31 years and could get to Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR within an hour or less and Barnet within 20 minutes. I never once had an inkling to go and watch any of them.
    Instead, I got on the train every Saturday to watch the City, and drove around the country on the proverbial cold and wet Tuesday nights to watch them.
    I started going to Cheltenham games as a social thing with a couple of local mates who are fans, when City weren't playing at home. At the time I was travelling to City games on my own so was missing out on the social side of following a team. Have now hooked-up with a few local City fans who travel down too which is great, but keep going to Cheltenham now and again.

One from Singapore, one from Italy, any more model ex-girlfriends to tell us about?

Was the German a model too?

Lived in Western Australia for eight years.

Been to see Perth Glory (what a misnomer!) perhaps five times, including when Robbie Fowler collected a pay cheque from them for doing f***-all, other than a weebil impersonation.

Have to admit, it was a real rush initially - a choice of woodfired pizza, chicken n' chips, burgers and a few more and you could quaff your expensive, piss-like lager on the terraces (remember them?). And tickets are cheap.

The thing is, however much I TRIED to get into them, they just weren't City and the 'Shed End', where all the singers were (about 100 singers all up), seemed to be populated by cockney wankers. Oh dear. You'd see shirts of all clubs (never saw any other Welsh club other than City, though) and have a good chat with loads of ex-pats, except the cockneys, who, for some reason, were all complete bell-ends you wouldn't piss on, etc.

And when they scored I'd let out a moderate "Yay" but I couldn't put my heart and soul into it, like I used to, bizarrely, with City, even during the Durban years.

So, no, try as I might, even my "second team" are light years away from City. As am I.

ps I also lived in Bristol for a year and NEVER even contemplated going as a neutral.

Also lived in Manchester and after trying Utd and City and being appalled at their respective lacks of atmosphere, decided to follow Droylsden FC. Great social club, great beer, great chips, great banter, great prices and real football fans following their local team.

Oh yes, and when I lived in Taffs Well, I even watched them as my second team.

All of the aforementioned were shite, including City, but I think we'll all agree that you can only support one team.

Eastleigh have a very good ground and set up.

Quote Originally Posted by DORSETBLUE wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 06:33
    So you like Poole because they are on the brink of glory, but not so keen on City at the moment because they are playing crap?
    Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 21 April 2015 22:35
    They should come up with some sort of nickname for that type of fan......
    fficksed for you

I pop along now & then to watch Bromley FC.

Last Saturday they won the Conference South, with a 3-0 victory over Weston-super-Mare, in front of a crowd of about 3,200.

At present their furthest away fixture is Weston, some 171 miles. The majority are around 60 miles distance.
    Next season in the Football Conference, they've got these road trips: Barrow (315m), Southport (247m), Gateshead (288m) ....Torquay, Grimsby, Halifax....

Talking to someone "in" with the club, they reckon their travel bill will at least treble next season, and it's likely that at least 1/3 of the playing squad will leave, as many cannot afford to take the time off work.

The price of success eh ?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcP wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 15:59
    Talking to someone "in" with the club, they reckon their travel bill will at least treble next season, and it's likely that at least 1/3 of the playing squad will leave, as many cannot afford to take the time off work.
    This pees me off. Happens in non-league all the time and has seen the demise of many an amateur club. One season you get promoted, the next season disbanded after a handful of games due to lack of players.

I now live on the same street as one of the entrances to the Emirates and round the corner from Highbury. Can't afford any of their games - or any other professional team. Been to Orient once, Barnet, Welling (to watch Hereford who were my second team) etc. Did a lot of non-league groundhopping when I moved to London last year and now go to Clapton week-in, week-out and have done for about 18 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Wed, 22 April 2015 11:41
    One from Singapore, one from Italy, any more model ex-girlfriends to tell us about?
    To be honest she was a bit masculine