+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Poll

Poll

Do you think it is preferable to have democratic ownership and control of the means of production and distribution or private and dictatorial control of the means of production and distribution?

At the moment most production is owned and controlled by huge multi-national companies or whatever you want to call them. Do you have faith in these organisations to distribute wealth fairly - or would you want some democratic control of the fruits of our labour? Not a new question really.

Feedback

Re: Poll

Few multi nationals are owned by oligarchs with most being owned by pension funds and insurers. The reality is these days the means of production are owned by those who have worked and saved or thought to have insured (Collective risk)

This isn't the 19th century and the economic model has changed. What you refer to is wealth disparity and yes there is wealth disparity Which seemingly is getting wider no matter what policies are implemented.

Hi, GB

Exactly who would makes decisions as to what should be produced under the Common Democratic Control system?

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:22
    Few multi nationals are owned by oligarchs with most being owned by pension funds and insurers. The reality is these days the means of production are owned by those who have worked and saved or thought to have insured (Collective risk)
    If you think that multi-nationals are democratic please can you explain how that works?

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:29
    This isn't the 19th century and the economic model has changed. What you refer to is wealth disparity and yes there is wealth disparity Which seemingly is getting wider no matter what policies are implemented.
    AGMs

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:26
    Hi, GB
    Capitalist organisations are dictatorial/or oligarchical in the sense that only rich people are part of the decision making process - more precisely, rich people have much more power than poor people within their walls.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:31
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:29
    Do poor people get a say in what multi-nationals do? Are multi-nationals democratic? (in the Greek sense of the term - i.e. run by poor people, not the rich Oligarchs?)
    I would love to get a vote at a MNC Agm - but I am very poor. Please advise how I could get involved???

Was ancient Greek democracy really defined as 'rule by the poor'?

In Athens you had to be a citizen, you had to be male, you had to be an adult, and you had to be 'free' to participate in their democracy.

I think it is likely that young female slaves were the poorest!

Slaves outnumbered citizens even in Athens!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:37
    Hi, GB
    Exactly who would makes decisions as to what should be produced under the Common Democratic Control system?
    It's difficult to proffer an opinion when the definitions in the question are not available, GB. However, as an average Joe who has never been self-employed I do not think that I should have an equal voice as someone who has taken economic risks, built up a business through hard work and using entrepreneurial skills and who chooses to employ me.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:48
    Was ancient Greek democracy really defined as 'rule by the poor'?
    This argument is really about wealth and power - and the inescapable fact that wealth gives people power - in my view: IT SHOULDN'T.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 18:51
    Hi, GB
    Hi TBG - now you would not be at all surprised if I said that the decision as to who makes such decisions would be a democratic one - and since I do not have a crystal ball I am not in a position to answer your question.
    This is a huge question worthy of much debate - but I want to watch the snooker and have some food.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 19:14
    Hi, GB
    Hi TBG - now you would not be at all surprised if I said that the decision as to who makes such decisions would be a democratic one - and since I do not have a crystal ball I am not in a position to answer your question.
    I notice that you have already developed democratic control into a democratic control system.
    Enjoy your food anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 19:23
    Hi, GB
    I notice that you have already developed democratic control into a democratic control system.
    Capitalist organisations are dictatorial/or oligarchical in the sense that only rich people are part of the decision making process - more precisely, rich people have much more power than poor people within their walls.
    Must get back to the snooker.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 19:35
    Hi, GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 19:23
    It's difficult to proffer an opinion when the definitions in the question are not available, GB. However, as an average Joe who has never been self-employed I do not think that I should have an equal voice as someone who has taken economic risks, built up a business through hard work and using entrepreneurial skills and who chooses to employ me.
    Debate is no bad thing, you little devil. Enjoy your glimpse of the baize.