+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Poll - Should elected politicians be subject to instant dismissal?

Poll - Should elected politicians be subject to instant dismissal?

During the Paris Commune of 1871 - while the Prussian army was at the gates - the people of Paris started to rule themselves. Their elected representatives earned no more than the average worker and the people who voted for them could vote to kick them out at any time - usually if the representatives did not represent the people. Would you want the same rule applied to the people we elect?

Re: Poll - Should elected politicians be subject to instant dismissal?

There definitely should be a recall procedure, yes.

I would want my elected representative to be wiser, cleverer and to have a greater understanding than me regarding many subjects - and to be ready to take on responsibilities that I am not capable of. That being the case, I do not have a problem in such a person having a greater salary than me. The other argument is that if you pay peanuts...

Along the same lines,
    Should MPs who defect to another party be subject to a by-election?
    1. Yes.
    2. Yes.

Feedback

I'd prefer MPs to be independent of party and whip. They are in parliament to represent the people and not to promote the party line. The 1, 2 or 3 line whip should be outlawed and MPs should always have a free vote based on what they think or know their constituents want.

I've got no problem with high salaries, it's a stressful jon with great responsibility and it can be expensive maintaining a London and elsewhere home. I'd certainly not want the career to be limited to the rich or only those funded by say corporations or unions as thry promote their own agenda rather than the people as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Thu, 30 April 2015 20:27
    I'd prefer MPs to be independent of party and whip. They are in parliament to represent the people and not to promote the party line. The 1, 2 or 3 line whip should be outlawed and MPs should always have a free vote based on what they think or know their constituents want.
    I notice that TBG has raised the old Platonic question of expertise - hello TBG. If we take Plato's line then only philosophers can do the job of governing (See The Republic). I may even get a job if we followed his advice. By the way TBG I think you are probably overestimating the intelligence and skills of most MPs.

Anytime an MP is caught out in wrong doing he/she should be sacked forthwith , the Party in question should also have to suspend another MP for the term of the Government , in effect a double whammy by losing two party votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 08:53
    I've got no problem with high salaries, it's a stressful jon with great responsibility and it can be expensive maintaining a London and elsewhere home. I'd certainly not want the career to be limited to the rich or only those funded by say corporations or unions as thry promote their own agenda rather than the people as a whole.
    Not really. I just know how dim I am

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 10:59
    One problem with high salaries is that they can result in the creation of 'career' rather than 'service' politicians, who partake of a more luxurious lifestyle and forget about the people they are meant to represent. Does that ring any bells?
    Self-flagellation is no recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 10:55
    Anytime an MP is caught out in wrong doing he/she should be sacked forthwith , the Party in question should also have to suspend another MP for the term of the Government , in effect a double whammy by losing two party votes.
    I would go a little further - remember The Stocks??? I have some dodgy apples all raring to go - and that banana is black not yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 11:07
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 10:59
    One problem with high salaries is that they can result in the creation of 'career' rather than 'service' politicians, who partake of a more luxurious lifestyle and forget about the people they are meant to represent. Does that ring any bells?
    I think that one point about representation often missed is that in order to re-present people, representatives must be representative of those people - if you catch my drift. How on earth could someone like Cameron represent the likes of me and you - well me anyway. Cameron and many others are on another planet to most of us - how can they understand us FFS.

It should, in my opinion, be illegal for MPs to have any other source of income, sit on any board of directors, as this quite clearly represents a conflict of interests. They should have one job and one job only - serve the people.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 11:08
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick the Miller wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 10:55
    I would go a little further - remember The Stocks??? I have some dodgy apples all raring to go - and that banana is black not yellow!
    You could run for UKIP.

Feedback

If you replaced the word dismissal with execution I'd be with you all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 12:37
    Yes - it's lonely here on my little planet sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by NECS wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 12:44
    Not at all, execution is too kind for some of them. The stocks is a better idea - more humiliating. We could just leave them there until they beg forgiveness and agree to take a zero hours/minimum wage contract for the rest of their natural.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 18:39
    Quote Originally Posted by NECS wrote on Fri, 01 May 2015 12:44