+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ed Milliband

Ed Milliband

As Milliband could tommorow become prime minister its worth looking at his record in opposition.

The most read article today on the right wing magazine the spectator is conservative Peter Obournes take on Ed Milliband, written a few months ago, Obourne is the ex cheif political writer for the Telegraph.

It's an excellent piece of journalism,

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9438172/ed-milibands-big gest-critics-dont-hate-him-for-how-hes-failed-they-hate-him- for-how-hes-succeeded/

Re: Ed Milliband

Quote Originally Posted by gnasher wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:35
    As Milliband could tommorow become prime minister its worth looking at his record in opposition.
    So love him or loath him , he does what he states on the tin , or on stone , geeky or not , trust him rather than Cameron.

The press have tried to make Milliband look like some kind of nerdy prick. It is a hatchet job

Quote Originally Posted by jaffa1 wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:46
    The press have tried to make Milliband look like some kind of nerdy prick. It is a hatchet job
    right wing media lead press

I'd like to see him get a chance as PM - especially if he can get an overall majority.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:52
    The most read article today on the right wing magazine the spectator is conservative Peter Obournes take on Ed Milliband, written a few months ago, Obourne is the ex cheif political writer for the Telegraph.
    Perhaps the devil is in the detail of his direction and what he has already achieved , not in how someone appears in delivering a speech , okay its not his bag , and Cameron is silky smooth , Is appearance now the issue that sways ones mind ?

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:59
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:52
    It's an excellent piece of journalism,
    It doesn't matter to me at all (if you could see me you would know why ). But when I saw him on TV I could see why many people are not impressed. But this is shallow - actions (such as those he has taken) speak much louder than oratory and nice soundbites for the camera.

As a responsible voter it is your job to look past presentation and spin. It is your job to find out what the parties' policies all mean.

The problem isn't Ed Milliband, the problem is the Labour party. Ed might have courage and principle but Labour clings to Tony Blair: in reducing tuition fees (benefiting the highest earning graduates only) they favour soundbites over fair policy and call foul play when 'bullied' by the SNP but treat other parties equally if not more aggressively. They tell Scottish voters that the money will be raised off English mansions, do their best to ignore Welsh concerns (before running back to Scotland) and tell English voters they won't deal with the SNP before a wink and a quick smile to the camera. In 5 years Ed might have made them into a decent party but for now there are better options than something that still wheels out Blair and accepts his money.

GB .. are you talking with yourself?!

Excellent article, which again will fall upon stony ground for those that don't want to accept it.

Strange that there are so relatively few apparently independent articles piling praise on .. .. oh never mind

I've been saying for ages, how well the supposedly 'unelectable' Ed has come across, the increase in his personal stock and the ground he has claimed.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffa1 wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 19:29
    As a responsible voter it is your job to look past presentation and spin. It is your job to find out what the parties' policies all mean.
    Anyway - would the process not be better served if they dispensed with the spin - then we wouldn't have the added responsibility of trying to decipher it all.

Surely 'Responsible' as in taking responsibility to understand that your considered vote affects the outcome of the election! (which is obvious enough) and which potentially affects all of our lives.
    In theory anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 19:59
    Surely 'Responsible' as in taking responsibility to understand that your considered vote affects the outcome of the election! (which is obvious enough) and which potentially affects all of our lives.
    Sorry - that's how I see it - so I will not reprimand myself for not voting this time.

A powerful piece from Peter Oborne - an independent minded conservative writer that I have huge respect for.

As ever he makes some thought provoking points. If you believe everything that appears in the right wing agenda driven press they'd have you think that Miliband is a bumbling idiot incapable of running a bath. The truth, as Oborne has highlighted, is very different.

Quote Originally Posted by jaffa1 wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 18:46
    Whether it is relevant or not is another matter.

Feedback

He does come across as a decent bloke with peoples best interests at heart. It's also true to say that he's not in hock to anyone, maybe except the unions. That's the real worry for me, I accept not for everyone else though

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 20:53
    He does come across as a decent bloke with peoples best interests at heart. It's also true to say that he's not in hock to anyone, maybe except the unions. That's the real worry for me, I accept not for everyone else though
    It's not the 80s anymore Feedy

I'm not sure that the unions wield very much power any more, do they?

Feedback

I know it's not the 80s, hopefully someone tells ed it's not the 70s either

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 20:57
    I know it's not the 80s, hopefully someone tells ed it's not the 70s either
    He's a lot more in touch with the now than the present bunch

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Wed, 06 May 2015 20:57
    I'm not sure that the unions wield very much power any more, do they?
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ed-miliband-la bour-party-reforms-will-bring-people-back-into-politics-9162 294.html