+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Great news for our AM's

Re: Great news for our AM's

We will see how many will but, for now, all we have to go on are statements from Labour and Lib Dem leaders that they will not support it and claims from Plaid AMs that they will not take it up. Of course, we'd be a bit silly to trust all the gas that comes out of politicians' mouths but they'll be judged on whether they back up their words with actions so would be stupid to take it when the voters aren't happy (whether I think the reaction is right or wrong is another issue) and they can refuse it or give it to charity. I at least believe Leanne Wood, she did follow through and turn down her twenty grand pay rise as leader.

The point of the post was the OP criticising the WG for a decision taken independently of them and not made by any AM. More cheap political point scoring that went wide of the mark but that's sorted now.

BTW a colleague who used to be at the Assembly and still has the inside track tells me that quite a few AMs did back the pay rise when talked to by the review body but haven't the guts to say it in public; it's only the Tory Sandbach that I know who has thus far but he knows AMs from Cons and Labour who back it. So we'll see what happens next year.

Feedback

I suspect most AMs are secretly happy at a pay rise - who wouldn't be. By the time it's implemented it will be forgotten about.

Incidentally I don't have a problem paying our politicians a decent salary so that (i) it can attract the beSt candidates and (ii) isn't the career of those who can afford it.

Yes I think our views are broadly the same on AM/MP pay hence my comment in the brackets above. I do think this is the wrong moment though when so many are still struggling and/or worried about their lot under austerity. This won't really affect the make up of the 2016 intake as most lists are drawn up so they should put this in place for the next election again IMHO.

On who wouldn't want a pay rise, as I said, Leanne Wood already turned one down and I believe her when she says she will do again in this case. I think she'll do her best to keep it a public issue if/when other AMs do take it as you would expect many to do. I expect anti-establishment parties like UKIP to make big play on it too.

Where are you coming from daft lad ?

According to today's Echo Tory AM for Monmouth Nick Ramsay has said he will give any rise to charity if re-elected. Just to keep a sense of balance like.

Quote Originally Posted by NECS wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 12:09
    According to today's Echo Tory AM for Monmouth Nick Ramsay has said he will give any rise to charity if re-elected. Just to keep a sense of balance like.
    Money and morals don't hang about together for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 12:35
    Quote Originally Posted by NECS wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 12:09
    Good to hear, and, if so, good on him to make a personal statement.

Like I said the only ones I definitely believe are Plaid on this and that's why I think they (and UKIP) will keep this a live issue for the election campaign next year as it's a great issue to say we're different from the establishment parties on (though this stance does slightly contradict the Plaid campaign for more powers/respect for Welsh Assembly but I imagine they think it's an issue of timing like me).

I see City fan Leighton Andrews has said he'll give his pay rise to Rhondda based charities;

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/leighton-andrew s-becomes-first-welsh-9318870

so, according to the report, that's AMs from four of the five leading parties in Wales (based on the General Election vote) who have said they will not take the pay rise - well done to each one of them.

I have a bit of sympathy here for the politicians. They handed over the dictating of their wage to an independent body so they couldn't be accused of taking the piss, yet when that body then dictates they should have a pay rise, it looks insensitive and sstill as if they are taking the piss.

Sort of damned if they do damned if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 07:06
    I see City fan Leighton Andrews has said he'll give his pay rise to Rhondda based charities;
    What has the fact that he is a Cardiff City fan to do with any if this??

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 18:19
    I have a bit of sympathy here for the politicians. They handed over the dictating of their wage to an independent body so they couldn't be accused of taking the piss, yet when that body then dictates they should have a pay rise, it looks insensitive and sstill as if they are taking the piss.
    However, in the current climate, and with all the issues that surround us (them) I also think it is only proper that they don't take the money for personal gain at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:34
    The wages aren't brilliant but then again neither is the calibre of our AM's

Who is this independent body and how do I get them to agree my pay rise for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Croesy Blue wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:59
    Fully agree.
    Stop electing bad ones then. A pay rise solves you problem, by attracting a better caliber of AM.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 09:39
    Fully agree.
    And, it is 2015. Their wages are far from incredible.
    To put this in context, if this was extrapolated across the UK we would have 2,100 MPs in Westminster - three times as many as we do. That is symptomatic of the problems we fave in Wales. It's time to trim the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 09:49
    Fully agree.
    However, in the current climate, and with all the issues that surround us (them) I also think it is only proper that they don't take the money for personal gain at this time.
    There are 188 in Scotland in a country of 5m, yet they do fine. You get the representation that you vote for. vote for a career politician, and you'll get one. That is symptomatic of the problems we face in Wales, the number of politicians is frankly irrelevant.

Feedback

What I'm trying to say is that our best politicians are in Westminster are we are left with the detritus in the assembly.

I still can't see why we need the assembly. Devolved issues could be made by Welsh MPs Sitting in special session at Westminster or cardiff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 10:05
    What I'm trying to say is that our best politicians are in Westminster are we are left with the detritus in the assembly.
    Simple fact is if you vote for a politician that's going to be controlled from London anyway, then yes you're right there's no point having a lesser caliber of politician in cardiff.

Feedback

I'm trying to say that Wales doesn't have a large enough population to sustain 105 politicians. there are 435 members of the house of representatives for around 320m people In the USA. We have 105 for 3m

Quote Originally Posted by The Local Boy wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 10:20
    I'm trying to say that Wales doesn't have a large enough population to sustain 105 politicians. there are 435 members of the house of representatives for around 320m people In the USA. We have 105 for 3m
    Welsh people aren't worse than anyone else, we can be good politicians. Like I've said, perhaps we should stop sending our best politicians to Westminster and get everything devolved so we could cut down on 40mps?

Fully agree.
    I think the point is the 18% increase rather than the actual salary, which is already higher than a GP's salary anyway I believe.

Feedback

The state governors are akin to our LA leaders. The mayors are akin to our mayors.

At the sovereign state level the house of representatives has 435 members (the Senate is the upper house akin to our lords). The uk has 635 in parliament, 60 in the assembly and around 120 in northern Ireland and Scotland. That is around 800 politicians serving (sovereign) state level interests in the uk for 63m people compared to 435 in the USA

Sorry can't quote on my phone. I agree the increase is substantial, I am just saying that it goes both ways. Personally I'd rather they didn't have an increase too.

If you are including second level parliament politicians, ie welsh/Scottish assembly level thn you need to include the state level representatives too. Each state has it's own assembly, the same as us.
    I don't understand what your moaning though, is it that we don't make good politicians? We send too many away? What is your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 11:44
    Fully agree.
    I'd say that in terms of the expected responsibilty of the role, that all seems about right?