Thread: Is there a better small city in the UK than Cardiff

Re: Is there a better small city in the UK than Cardiff

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:05
    Swansea is ace i luvs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 20:52
    Why are you doing it with a Cardiff twang
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 20:38
    Did you sort your laptop ?
    Yes thanx used the dyson on it and has been fine,it took me ages to get it out of the cleaner though

I like Cardiff. As cities go its a friendly place but it lacks on the architecture front. So for me its a good third but behind Oxford and Bath

Quote Originally Posted by jeepster wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:10
    Swansea is ace i luvs it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:05
    Why are you doing it with a Cardiff twang
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepster wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 20:52
    Did you sort your laptop ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 20:38
    Yes thanx used the dyson on it and has been fine,it took me ages to get it out of the cleaner though

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:26
    Define small. In a bit of a pedantic mood tonight as you could probably guess.
    I can't remember it having many big concerts/ gigs etc either

Quote Originally Posted by Peru Blue wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:01
    Bath and Brighton are lovely cities, and the centre of Bristol is very nice - while all of these cities have nice features, they lack in other areas and for me Cardiff has it all. There's a reason it's regularly mentioned in polls as one of the best UK cities to live in and why it's such a quickly growing city (quickest in Europe?). We are lucky to be born British, and even luckier to be living in Cardiff. Balanced out of course by the fact that we then have CCFC to follow But you can't have it all!!
    Having lived there I wouldn't say the centre of Bristol is that nice, broad mead has a sort of 1950's feel to it, a bit dour and soulless. It only gets nice toward park street and around the riverfront. I don't think any city can offer what we have, Edinburgh is bigger I think but very scenic.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:33
    Sports stadiums and events, shopping, parks, cycle trails, the Bay, rail system, proximity to beaches and the Beacons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:27
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:23
    Hull, Swansea, Leicester - all small cities that have managed to keep a Premier League football team longer than 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rich munn wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:28
    Sports stadiums and events, shopping, parks, cycle trails, the Bay, rail system, proximity to beaches and the Beacons.
    Quote Originally Posted by NYCBlue wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:33
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Hull, Swansea, Leicester - all small cities that have managed to keep a Premier League football team longer than 5 minutes.
    Bristol has a decent airport too. And a zoo.
    London is unique in UK terms so a pointless comparison, so in answer to the OP's question, Cardiff is the Dogs Bollocks

Cardiff is just lush.
    Nice cycle ride up the trail to Castell Coch then turned around and cycled down to Cardiff Castle. No cars, beautiful parkland and most of it alongside the Taff

Lovely

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:17
    I like Cardiff. As cities go its a friendly place but it lacks on the architecture front. So for me its a good third but behind Oxford and Bath
    Cardiff isn't so small that everyone knows everyone but I think you could do one degree of separation rather than six. It is a capital city which means you can't really count it as a small city.

Edinburgh best city in uk .Cardiff would be second for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40
    For me it's a winner 👍
    You have his number Lawnmower. Swansea town centre is a shit hole, I doubt any of our resident Jacks could argue with that fact.

Pound for pound, Cardiff is the best city in the UK in my opinion.

It isn't a patch on Cardiff no, but the stick Hull is getting is unwarranted IMO. I live around 20 mins away from hull and it is a great place. Some decent shops, good quality places to eat and some top real ale pubs, decent night life, a culturally rich old town, close to the beach and well placed for the airport and ferry port.

To be honest, i'm surprised York or Chester haven't been mentioned on here

Banned

You paint a pretty picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:53

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:46
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Bristol has a decent airport too. And a zoo.
    It is indeed, the rest of Swansea is fine.

It's a damn sight better than the probable jaded picture you have of either boothferry park or the KC!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by stevie macs red foot wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 23:02
    It's a damn sight better than the probable jaded picture you have of either boothferry park or the KC!
    What the Hull are you on about?

York by a country mile.

I quite like Southampton, lovely marina .. And Nottingham, busy nice countryside, great city centre, bars etc.. when I levee there anyway. Lovely walks by the river, but a long way from the sea. Friendly place too.

Neither can offer the whole package like Cardiff.

All the historic cities mentioned are pretty, but none have the same level of stuff going on that Cardiff does.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie macs red foot wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:52
    It isn't a patch on Cardiff no, but the stick Hull is getting is unwarranted IMO. I live around 20 mins away from hull and it is a great place. Some decent shops, good quality places to eat and some top real ale pubs, decent night life, a culturally rich old town, close to the beach and well placed for the airport and ferry port.
    York is beautiful.

I love Cardiff and have never really regretted spending all of my life here, but Edinburgh beats it as a city for me and I can understand why Bath is mentioned by so many - can't think of many others that better it though.

Cardiff rates highly in so many categories in my opinion, but, and I'm being serious here, the thing that lets it down most for me is the mediocrity of it's sporting teams. The self styled best rugby club in the world has been embarrassingly poor for years, the cricket team based in the city has run into a self created financial cul de sac that has led to a decline in playing quality at a club which was never the strongest anyway and the perpetually under achieving football club is, I'm afraid, regarded as something of a laughing stock nationally these days - maybe Cardiff's residents are a little to blame here, because it never really strikes me a sporty city.

Quote Originally Posted by stevie macs red foot wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:52
    I've been to York, but never really had the chance to fully appreciate it - agree with you about Chester though, definitely in my top three or four.

Cardiff is fecking awesome. Look at what we've got:

Civic centre
    A Russel group university
    Roath Park
    Bute Park
    Good shopping
    Castle
    World class rugby stadium
    Good hotels
    Theatres
    Bay
    Golf courses
    Ice hockey
    Beaches down the road
    Nearby countryside
    Test match standard cricket ground
    Premier league standard football stadium

Add to the above, our rich, diverse history, and it's generally just a nice place to be.

Norwich is an excellent city