+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is there a better small city in the UK than Cardiff

Re: Is there a better small city in the UK than Cardiff

People fail to appreciate what a great city Cardiff is only because it is sat there on our doorstep.

Familiarity breeds contempt.

Cardiff is a great city, world class.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 07:34
    I love Cardiff and have never really regretted spending all of my life here, but Edinburgh beats it as a city for me and I can understand why Bath is mentioned by so many - can't think of many others that better it though.
    We aren't that interesting or important to most others any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 09:33
    I love Cardiff and have never really regretted spending all of my life here, but Edinburgh beats it as a city for me and I can understand why Bath is mentioned by so many - can't think of many others that better it though.
    Cardiff rates highly in so many categories in my opinion, but, and I'm being serious here, the thing that lets it down most for me is the mediocrity of it's sporting teams. The self styled best rugby club in the world has been embarrassingly poor for years, the cricket team based in the city has run into a self created financial cul de sac that has led to a decline in playing quality at a club which was never the strongest anyway and the perpetually under achieving football club is, I'm afraid, regarded as something of a laughing stock nationally these days - maybe Cardiff's residents are a little to blame here, because it never really strikes me a sporty city.
    Were we ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Flashman wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 09:45
    Cardiff rates highly in so many categories in my opinion, but, and I'm being serious here, the thing that lets it down most for me is the mediocrity of it's sporting teams. The self styled best rugby club in the world has been embarrassingly poor for years, the cricket team based in the city has run into a self created financial cul de sac that has led to a decline in playing quality at a club which was never the strongest anyway and the perpetually under achieving football club is, I'm afraid, regarded as something of a laughing stock nationally these days - maybe Cardiff's residents are a little to blame here, because it never really strikes me a sporty city.
    Was also discussing this after the cricket, where once again there was a very poor gate.
    Other issues at other clubs have overtaken us now... Newcastle, Wigan, QPR, Leeds even Liverpool much more interesting to the general footy fan

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:30
    I like Cardiff. As cities go its a friendly place but it lacks on the architecture front. So for me its a good third but behind Oxford and Bath
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 21:17
    But you can actually buy a first home in Cardiff whereas Oxford is just upper middle class (plus), students and homeless.
    To have a park right there and other parks close by is brilliant.

Cardiff is a great city IMO, nowhere better in the UK and is only let down by the transport system with the angry,rude staff who run and work in for them

Now, number two is probably unfair and could even be construed as racist, but that's how Vincent Tan has been portrayed in the national print media in particular and it's certain that the mud has stuck for many people - I'm sure there are many in this country who see us as something of a joke club currently.

Quote Originally Posted by heath/ccfc wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 10:20
    Cardiff is a great city IMO, nowhere better in the UK and is only let down by the transport system with the angry,rude staff who run and work in for them
    I use the buses all the time a very cheap and regular service from the CF5 area.

I lived in Cardiff for many years and loved it. Great city to get around on a bicycle - through the parks etc - cosmopolitan, not too big, flat-ish, close to great countryside and so on.

What's more, I met my wife there and I got married underneath the new stadium - not many can say that.

If we ever have to move to a city it would be Cardiff.

I've worked in Bristol (too hilly) and Bath (too small) and neither can hold a candle to Cardiff in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 10:34
    Was also discussing this after the cricket, where once again there was a very poor gate.
    Fact is fans elsewhere won't over analyse every detail of our club and apart from the jbs and maybe a few Bristol City fans most just see us as another average championship club.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 23:00
    Sports stadiums and events, shopping, parks, cycle trails, the Bay, rail system, proximity to beaches and the Beacons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 22:46
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:40
    Hull, Swansea, Leicester - all small cities that have managed to keep a Premier League football team longer than 5 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loya Jirga wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:27
    Bristol has a decent airport too. And a zoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sat, 23 May 2015 19:23
    There's much more to life than Prem football.
    Blaen y maes y?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 13:56
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 10:34
    Let's face it, the success of our local sporting club is below par for the catchment area and last few seasons for CCFC apart the support is lacking.
    Tan has single handedly ruined Cardiff as a club.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 16:48
    Sports stadiums and events, shopping, parks, cycle trails, the Bay, rail system, proximity to beaches and the Beacons.
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Hull, Swansea, Leicester - all small cities that have managed to keep a Premier League football team longer than 5 minutes.
    Are you now showing the reason you are sulking ?
    Got watch out for those skinnys.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 16:57
    For me it's a winner 👍
    You have his number Lawnmower. Swansea town centre is a shit hole, I doubt any of our resident Jacks could argue with that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:02
    For me it's a winner 👍
    You have his number Lawnmower. Swansea town centre is a shit hole, I doubt any of our resident Jacks could argue with that fact.
    It is indeed, the rest of Swansea is fine.
    I used be a milkman in Blaen y maes,salt of the earth people.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:06
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    I took my son to the leisure centre a few years ago to watch a boxing match, I remember thinking we wont be hanging about here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:11
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    What leisure centre ?

Newport

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:12
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=710149
    Nice place Cardiff
    Maybe it was a hall? It was deep in Blaen Y Maes, The amateur Welsh boxing was held there, probably 7 or 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:22
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    Nice place Cardiff
    I think you were at Penlan,i'm sure Cardiff has got its rough parts but i cant comment on them coz i dont know Cardiff very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:27
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    Nice place Cardiff
    Did you read the article?
    There are some really nice areas just outside Swansea like the Gower and the Mumbles isnt too bad.

For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    Nice place Cardiff
    Is your lad a boxer.?

Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:29
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    Nice place Cardiff
    Coming from London, and having seen many English cities and some others across the UK. I can personally say that Cardiff is one of the most cosmopolitan and welcoming places I've visited. If your not used to cities there will be a few things that might worry you, but aslong as you use common sense you'll be fine.
    He was . Much against my wishes. Studied chemistry in Sheffield Uni work that one out (and boxed for them against Hallam)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:31
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxim wrote on Sun, 24 May 2015 17:29
    For me it's a winner 👍
    Blaen y maes y?
    Nice place Cardiff
    Coming from London, and having seen many English cities and some others across the UK. I can personally say that Cardiff is one of the most cosmopolitan and welcoming places I've visited. If your not used to cities there will be a few things that might worry you, but aslong as you use common sense you'll be fine.
    If you can box you can look after yourself.

Cardiff has loads going for it - the parks, taff trail, the castle, sports stadiums, the city centre arcades, relatively low crime rate, proximity to the sea and mountains. In the part of the city where I live we're also well blessed with good rail links.

On the flipside, train services are poor or non existent particularly in the east of Cardiff, architecturally with a few notable exceptions it's a bit bland and the City centre looks a bit homogenised.

On the whole though, it's a great small/medium sized city

As others have mentioned, York is also a fantastic city, as is Oxford.