Cooke , Root , Stokes , top end cricket
    Both sides deserve credit.

Re: Well done England

Shows again that the 5 day format is still the best there is

Fantastic test match

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 18:17
    Cooke , Root , Stokes , top end cricket
    One of the best test matches in recent years involving England, top team performance.

Great drama and superb Test which ebbed and flowed

well done England, second test should be a cracker

Well worth the £20 admission. First time at Lords, it's a wonderful place to watch cricket.

That game was exactly what cricket in this country needed - it still rankles with me that it's not on terrestrial television for everyone to watch live mind.

Everything about that game was good - the pitch and outfield were excellent, the umpires got most things right, the spirit between the two sides was very good and, best of all, the cricket was entertaining from start to finish.

So much of that entertainment was down to the attitude of the New Zealand side - yes, they over attacked at times, but I think their approach rubbed off on England and they responded by playing their best cricket in years (probably since the Ashes win in Australia).

That game is why Test cricket is the best form of the game. Wonderful stuff with both teams deserving a lot of credit.
    At the end of yesterdays play every opposition player went over to shake Cook's hand following his fine batting. That was great to see.

It's important that England stick with this line up. Lyth and Ballance have to be persevered with and Bell will undoubtedly come good.My main worry is that we do not have a top line spinner.Root and Moen 'bit part' at best.Not sure that there is a Test class operator out there though?

I don't think Ballance's place in the side for the Ashes has been questioned, he's not had a good knock these last two tests but beforehand he's been very impressive. As for spinners it will take ions before anyone can go towards replacing Swann, but Ali is more than useful with the bat.

Only one I have doubts about is finding an opener at number two for this summer alongside Cook.

Superb game of cricket. Loved every minute of it

Another good game at headingly and they can take some confidence into the ashes. We will need it

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:19
    That game is why Test cricket is the best form of the game. Wonderful stuff with both teams deserving a lot of credit.
    Great prequel to the Ashes

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:30
    I don't think Ballance's place in the side for the Ashes has been questioned, he's not had a good knock these last two tests but beforehand he's been very impressive. As for spinners it will take ions before anyone can go towards replacing Swann, but Ali is more than useful with the bat.
    what did you think of Lords? magical place, first time for me was 2005 day one ashes series, something i had always wanted to see

Quote Originally Posted by packerman wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 20:08
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex! wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:30
    Only one I have doubts about is finding an opener at number two for this summer alongside Cook.
    Living by the Oval it naturally has my heart, but it's a wonderful venue and I hope I'll be going there many more times.

First Team

Terrific test match and a credit to both teams
    Typically I missed the end.
    Really looking forward to the next test now.
    Alex, glad you enjoyed your first visit to what I think is a simply fantastic place.
    Next time you go let me know and I will take you into the Pavillion for the true experience.

Also NZ team is full of class, got a lot of respect for McCullum

Brilliant by England. Nice to see someone like stokes in the side. He can be hit and miss, but he provides impetus that can be game changing. Truly awful captaincy by McCullum. He's rightly had a lot of praise recently but his performance as captain this game was the worst I have ever seen. The fields he set weren't attacking, they were brain dead. Fields like that are completely counter productive. An attacking field should put pressure on batsmen, he left so many freebie opportunities that there was virtually no pressure on the England batters

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 20:02
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Mon, 25 May 2015 19:19
    At the end of yesterdays play every opposition player went over to shake Cook's hand following his fine batting. That was great to see.
    Yep agreed. A two match series isn't enough and as you say its a great prequel to what will start in July. Let's hope Cardiff is blessed with fine weather and a fine game that hopefully lasts five days when the Aussies come to town.