+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Depression

Quite possibly the most horrendous feeling in the world.

Has anybody had it and conquered it ?

Re: Depression

I dont I've had it, not clincially anyway...but with time i've learnt that the mental health is actually very closely related to physical health... depression etc is down to chemical imbalances and that's why you cant just ask someone to 'pull themselves together'. I think keeping busy and being active/exercising regularly are some of the best things anyone can do if they have depression and/or anxiety. The general health benefits and seretonin releases cross over.

horrible thing to have

can you personally pinpoint when or why it started

It's reckoned that most people will suffer from a form of depression at some point in their lives, which is hardly surprising really. Life can be tough, it can be wonderful, but it always changes. A dead end job, money problems, health issues or watching loved ones die can trigger depression or anxiety. Keeping busy can help but may just postpone the inevitable. Always talk about your issues, never bottle them up. No one ever said it was meant to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 02:02
    It is important to get professional help mind - I'm just saying what helped me help myself.

I suffer with a form of depression. What triggered it was my Brother in law passing away suddenly. I wasn't close to him, but am roughly the same age, but his sudden death really hit me to the core. It hit home to me how fragile life is and that something like that could happen to me and I'd leave my wife and kids behind, like my brother in law did. It gave me a sense of foreboding all the time. Also my mother passing away last year compounded matters. I've been to the Doctors and I had a really good chat with him. It had a good effect on me, as I now try and focus on the positives in my well being and my life. As Bryndon mentioned, keeping physically fit helps, the endorphins after a run really do give you a bit of a high.
    I get bad days, but in general I think I'm coping ok. Taking medication is something I want to avoid, so hopefully things will continue as they are for me.

I hope Cardiff Irish gets well soon.

Some people are lucky and it's a one off but to most it will never go away and you've got to learn to live with it from the highs to the lows and try different coping mechanisms

Drinking quite heavily also brings on symptoms of depression, drinking might help at the time, but the after effects make you feel a whole lot worse. I've cut down my intake. I drink moderately on one of my nights off and I must admit, I do feel better for it. A hangover would always bring on my dark thoughts and I wasn't good to be around, which in turn got my wife down, which made me feel even worse.

I was diagnosed with it about 10 years ago. I've no idea why, my life was great back then. Anyway, cut the booze, up the exercise and avoid the tablets they like to dish out - seemed to work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 13:54
    I was diagnosed with it about 10 years ago. I've no idea why, my life was great back then. Anyway, cut the booze, up the exercise and avoid the tablets they like to dish out - seemed to work for me.
    That's what I find interesting - that people who seem to have it all get just develop depression and/or anxiety seemingly for no reason at all. Goes to show that isn't as easy as just smiling through it.

Quote Originally Posted by bryndon2 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 15:13
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 13:54
    That's what I find interesting - that people who seem to have it all get just develop depression and/or anxiety seemingly for no reason at all. Goes to show that isn't as easy as just smiling through it.
    Quite right. But ultimately, my view was that it was my head and the only person who could control what it thought was me. So I did what I could to make it as healthy as possible (less booze, more sweating); and decided to make happiness a life choice (which I firmly believe it is).

Interesting that the there seems to be a theme about how to deal with depression.

Stay Busy
    Get Fit
    Drink less

I think these are all good suggestions.

I have in the past suffered with depression and for me keeping busy, active and staying positive were all key. Sometimes you can be faced with a mountain of work or things to do and at the time it just seems impossible and you feel paralysed. Best advice when you feel like this is to JUST F*CKING DO IT! As soon as you start, even the smallest steps, you start feeling better, keep going and momentum will take over. Same for the gym, just get in and give yourself a mental kick up the arse. If you sit around feeling glum it will just eat you up. Force yourself to go do something, anything!

And the drink... well, here is the one truth about drink... BOOZE KILLS MO. If there is one sure fire way of destroying all your hard work and momentum its by having a few drinks.

All these things are easy to do, but they are also easy NOT to do. You have to be focused and get a routine. I found personal development CD's really good. Go buy Jim Rohn or Brian Tracy and just play them in the car, really perks you up.

Good luck.

My 16 year old son suffers from severe depression. I was terrified at how low he got when he had the courage to tell us about. He is on meds and seems to be OK. He gets low from time to time but is not having really bad lows. He likes to keep busy. He has told his friends about it and is doing so well. He is set for some fantastic GCSE results so remains motivated. I'm very proud of him.

Cardiff Irish if you are struggling go and see your GP and ask for help. It is normal to suffer from depression and counselling will help. Try and keep busy and do exercise if you can.

All the very best. You are not alone. Millions in this country alone suffer from depression.

If your depression is bad enough then you simply haven't the energy to get out of bed let alone go to the gym. If you can walk to the end of your drive way one day then walk two houses down the next week then to the end of the road the next week you're doing well...a healthy body will help but it's better as a prevention than a cure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 18:14
    Ml
    But be prepared that waiting times may not be great on the NHS. If you can afford it pay privately or get a good self help book.

Money problems, with people I know, and myself to a lesser extent, is the main issue. Not so easy to sort out, sadly tend to drink more to try and forget about it, which causes even more debt, and therefore more depression.

Quote Originally Posted by taff punk wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 18:21
    Money problems, with people I know, and myself to a lesser extent, is the main issue. Not so easy to sort out, sadly tend to drink more to try and forget about it, which causes even more debt, and therefore more depression.
    Replacing bad habits with positive habits...eg drink with exercise is a good place to start. But easier said than done I know. Exercise can be free too.

Has anyone overcome panic attacks? I young chap I know is in his mid-twenties and suffers from them - and it has affected both his employment and private life. I think he had a tester session (privately) but I believe that he is under the impression that treatment will either be costly (if he were to continue privately, which he can't really afford) or that there will be a very long waiting list if he wants to be treated on the NHS.

Do any of you have experience (either directly or indirectly) of overcoming or coping with panic attacks at all?

Taunton, sent you a PM with some info.

Personally I would not take anti-depressants again - because a) They don't work for everyone b) The side effects were horrendous and c) there are more empowering ways of fighting depression than taking a pill.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 18:14
    If your depression is bad enough then you simply haven't the energy to get out of bed let alone go to the gym. If you can walk to the end of your drive way one day then walk two houses down the next week then to the end of the road the next week you're doing well...a healthy body will help but it's better as a prevention than a cure.
    Depression paralyzes people - sometimes I can't even get myself a cup of tea. I am like a rabbit 'trapped in the headlights' - not someone who is trying to get out of work.

I have had clinical depression. Before I had it, I had little sympathy for anyone with it. Now I am better and am more than happy to share some things that worked for me.

1. I read this article:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/spfl/neil-lennon-open s-up-on-battle-with-depression-1-3352226

I was not a fan of Lennon, but this article was exactly how I felt. It helped to know that he was as low as I was, but got through to the other end.

2. I went on Youtube and typed in "happy music"

I played this type of music very loud through earphones and it helped.

3. I went through Youtube and typed in "inspirational speeches"

I played many such speeches time and again, it helped.

The best healer is time,a loving family and a good GP.

Do not be ashamed depression is the "curse of the strong" your body has told you to slow down. Re-evaluate your life. Do what makes you happy, limit what causes you stress and grief and remember.

You will get through it. nearly everyone does.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by bluekell wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 20:31
    I have had clinical depression. Before I had it, I had little sympathy for anyone with it. Now I am better and am more than happy to share some things that worked for me.
    Great post Bluekell

Im always surprised that a topic like thing generates so many replies in the sense that it is so common. Even if its not you personally that is suffering, it goes to show that a family member, good mate or colleague probably is but just hasn't discussed it.

Im sure talking about it and realising its a common feeling must be of some little comfort. Just knowing that you ain't alone in feeling that way.

Good luck to those of you that are going thru it