+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Depression

Re: Depression

Thank you for all your replies.

This is a new thing for me as up till a year ago I was sort of person who would have said things like 'pull yourself together' and ' what have they got to be depressed about'

It started with a bereavement, then leaving my job whilst stressed, trying to get it back but my finances going against me and not dealing with a split from an ex very well ( delayed shock)

Many thanks all

CI

Are there friends/family who you can talk through your feelings with? Its never good to bottle things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 21:05
    CI
    I do have a great family and friends but I'm a bit ashamed, feel like I'm constantly mooching off them lately with my whining.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 21:07
    CI
    Are there friends/family who you can talk through your feelings with? Its never good to bottle things up.
    Don't be daft. They will listen. They will help. Nowt to be ashamed about. Life can be very hard. We all go through good and bad times. Sometimes you need folk around to support you just as you will back them when they need help too. You do need to talk it through. Don't bottle it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 21:07
    CI
    OK - stop the whining and let them help. Most people close to you, in my experience, will just want to help - in spite of the misconception of mental health that is peddled by the media. In the end I think we all appreciate that we are human, all too human.

I reckon (maybe just for the men) 9/10 would be willing to say that talking about it is important, 6/10 are willing to listen but only 3/10 are willing to say they need someone to help - even by sticking it on this messageboard you've taken a brilliant step... and lord knows we're better at responding to these threads than we are counting to 10

If you do want any advice with the financial side of things then your local Citizen's advice centre should be happy to help.

Can't help with any better advice than has already been posted on here mate, but hope you get it sorted.

A few people over the years on here seem to have been through the same thing and have used this board at times of need, if you feel it's tough speaking to friends or family I'm sure no one here has an issue with you talking about it on here. Take care.

I wouldn't say I was depressed, I don't like using that word. However, there was a time in my life where I thought I just was not happy at all. I remember one day just realising that I wasn't enjoying anything, at the time I'd stopped speaking to my friends, dropped out of uni and spent all day every day doing absolutely nothing.

I feel, especially considering my father went through depression and seeing how he turned it around, that at those times the only person that can truly help is yourself. Genuinely. I was too worried about pride to tell anyone at the time - which is dangerous - but I remember one day realising that I can turn things around, it can be done. You have to somehow find deep within yourself the motivation to beat it, and the ways in which can help you is all down to you.

Personally, I played a lot of golf, I exercised a lot and got back in touch with my friends. I felt that keeping myself active and having something to look forward to is what helped me mostly. I re-applied for university which was my silver lining. I always try and have something to look forward to, whether that be a round of golf or drinks on the weekend, I always try and plan something where I'm thinking, "Can't wait for that!"

You have to life your life for yourself and those who you love and who love you. At the end of the day that's all that really matters.

Talk to people who you're closest to. You'll be surprised how accepting they can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 22:25
    I wouldn't say I was depressed, I don't like using that word. However, there was a time in my life where I thought I just was not happy at all. I remember one day just realising that I wasn't enjoying anything, at the time I'd stopped speaking to my friends, dropped out of uni and spent all day every day doing absolutely nothing.
    many thanks great post.

I have suffered from depression and post traumatic stress for twenty years but I manage it

Avoid booze, eat healthily and take prozac

It gives you a massive hard on and you can shag or in my case wank ,for hours

Pm if any of you want any advice

On depression, not wanking

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 22:54
    I have suffered from depression and post traumatic stress for twenty years but I manage it

All Wales depression helpline free phone twenty four hours

365 days a year

0800 132737

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 22:56
    Are you doing a set at glastonbarry this summer ?

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 23:02
    I reckon 5% of your posts have been sharing that number - something to be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 23:11
    365 days a year
    Everyones a winner

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 23:04
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve R wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 22:56
    It gives you a massive hard on and you can shag or in my case wank ,for hours
    Not if you're going sonny.

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 23:20
    Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 23:11
    365 days a year
    0800 132737
    They sound like that black bloke who used to play for Villa? Each to their own.

I can see things kiƧking off here

Quote Originally Posted by bryndon2 wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 19:30
    Taunton, sent you a PM with some info.
    Very kind. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 09:58
    Very kind. Thanks
    The book overcoming panic by derrick silgrove is widely used by health workers

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 11:06
    Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 09:58
    Very kind. Thanks
    Citalopram is an SSRI used for panic attacks
    Thanks, Sludge. I think the young man in question doesn't really know which way to turn so that's very helpful.

International

In 1992 I had a massive nervous breakdown. When they carried out one of these tests after to determine the likelihood of having or avoiding it, they based the results on a US Clinical Study that looked at what had been going on in a persons life and transposed that into a "Percentage likelihood" of them having a breakdown if nothing changed. The figure they worked on was a score of 100 indicated a 80% chance of a NB, so 2oo gave a 160% chance and so on.
    I completed the questionnaire and scored 560, which indicated a 'likelihood' of a 453% chance of me having one. I laughed at the mental nurse when he told me the score and agreed when he said he didn't think that I'd completed the form correctly. He then went through the previous 2 or 3 years of my life in some detail and when he finished he told me my real 'score' wax 870. This indicated a 'likelihood ' of me having a nervous breakdown of 696%. He said that in other words it was as inevitable as night following day.
    After it happened and I went to my usual pubs people who knew me kept saying, you seem much better now, and how do you feel. It soon became apparent that everyone realized what was happening except me.
    Anyway I developed what the diagnosed as "Anxiety Neurosis" which meant I and a mixture of depression, anxiety attacks, depression, nervous disorder and so many things together that they couldn't treat one with making another worse.
    They put me on a cocktail of tablets which drove me crazy, including beta blockers, tablets to block the side affects of the beta blockers, sleeping tablets, Lophepramine and all kinds of shite. I was taking about 14 tablets a bay and didn't know if I was on my arse or my elbow. They were doing no good and the guy I was being councelled by (A Psychiatrist) admitted there was nothing he could do for me.
    As it happened because I was a high end earner for several years before this I was receiving a very large amount of disability benefit. I began throwing the tablets down the toilet every day about 1 PM and going to the pub. Just ditching them made each day seem brighter. I never drank at home I never drank alone and I never gave up.
    I mended myself by continuing contact with "Normal" people in the pub. It took me about 2 years after I first asked to be taken of the disable register (Which was about 5 years after the breakdown) before they would actually do it, (something to do with unemployment figure massaging I was told).
    The only thing I massaged was my CV to mask the lack of activity. I am happy to say we are now both completely normal and one of me is in lucrative full time employment (But I am Gemini)

hope this helps. (we're both leaving )

The more you know about these things the easier they are to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Tue, 26 May 2015 02:02
    Quite possibly the most horrendous feeling in the world.
    Sharing with someone is a great help.