+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why is the FBI leading the prosecution against FIFA ?

Why is the FBI leading the prosecution against FIFA ?

General question, the last people you would expect to come to Europe and make all these arrests in regards to 'soccer'

Re: Why is the FBI leading the prosecution against FIFA ?

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:37
    General question, the last people you would expect to come to Europe and make all these arrests in regards to 'soccer'
    It was the Americans who blew the lid off Lance Armstrong after his shenanigins were tolerated in Europe year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:39
    It was the Americans who blew the lid off Lance Armstrong after his shenanigins were tolerated in Europe year after year.
    i think its because they (allegedly)have laundered US dollars and used US banks to do it. (i think)

Why are the FBI investigating Fifa?
    The FBI was revealed to be investigating Fifa shortly after Qatar was controversially awarded the 2022 World Cup at the expense of the United States. The investigation focused mainly on allegations of wrongdoing on US soil, particularly by members of the North and Central American football confederation, Concacaf.

Chuck Blazer faced charges for fraud and tax evasion before helping investigations
    It emerged last year that its former general secretary and ex-Fifa executive committee member, Chuck Blazer, had turned super-grass after being threatened with serious jail time for fraud and tax evasion. He was even said to have bugged his fellow executives during London 2012. Blazer helped bring down his president, Jack Warner, whose two sons also agreed to co-operate with the FBI.
    • Fifa crisis live: This is the World Cup of fraud and we're issuing Fifa a red card,' say US prosecutors
    What is the scope of the FBI's investigation?
    The investigation covers almost a quarter of a century of alleged fraud, bribery and money laundering in which well over $150 million (£97.5m) changed hands. The FBI has examined kickbacks said to have been received by football officials in relation to the rights to various tournaments in Central and South America, as well as the 2010 World Cup and 2011 Fifa presidential election.

That's not quite true. The French had been openly accusing him for about as long as he'd been racing, just didn't have the authority of the USDA.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:44
    That's not quite true. The French had been openly accusing him for about as long as he'd been racing, just didn't have the authority of the USDA.
    By the way, have you read Tyler Hamilton's book? I had a free talking book version and it was a fantastic insight as to what was going on.

Well thank god they have, FIFA is a disgusting organisation, how England didn't win after how good their bid was has probably been their downfall.

I just hope the FA publicly boycott the tournaments, if they are brave enough to be the first I am sure lots of countries will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by chris lee wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:51
    Well thank god they have, FIFA is a disgusting organisation, how England didn't win after how good their bid was has probably been their downfall.
    On another note I don't think the England bid should've won. Boring having it in a country such as England. Much better having it in up and coming countries like Australia, although quite not Qatar.

The journos on the Sunday Supplement have said time and again that the only action that would succeed against FIFA is by the FBI.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 19:15
    Quote Originally Posted by chris lee wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:51
    I just hope the FA publicly boycott the tournaments, if they are brave enough to be the first I am sure lots of countries will follow.
    I don't think Australia were bidding for 2018 more 2022 it was all the European ones, personally I would have gone for Spain as Espana 82 was first orld cup I remembered. Harold Schumacher decapitating Patrick Battiston springs to mind

There was a guy on Radio 4 earlier who said that as the alleged crimes were carried out in US Dollars then the Americans are entitled to protect their currency.

The American courts brought the Catholic Church to its financial knees so I don't think they'll have much trouble with a fat, corrupt little Swiss ****.

Quote Originally Posted by bobhattonshairpiece wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 18:42
    i think its because they (allegedly)have laundered US dollars and used US banks to do it. (i think)
    It is certainly part of the reason.

Stage 2 will be major sponsors pulling out and demanding change at the top of FIFA.

I love USA justice if your guilty down you go:

Martha Stewart , Tim Allen,Robert Downey Jr,Mark Wahlberg, Wesley Snipes,Paris Hilton,Christian Salter. Even did Sir Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 23:01
    (if she could that is)

International

I bekeive the charges the FBI are pushing were all for fraud and fraudulent ban k dealings committed in, or setup in the USA and using US Banks. They only arrested the guys in Geneva because it was their best chance of getting them all at the same time, as I understand it

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle wrote on Thu, 28 May 2015 04:18
    I bekeive the charges the FBI are pushing were all for fraud and fraudulent ban k dealings committed in, or setup in the USA and using US Banks. They only arrested the guys in Geneva because it was their best chance of getting them all at the same time, as I understand it
    Financial corruption is how the FBI nail these crooks. It's the way they took down Capone.

' FIFA corruption has touched the shores of the USA'.......
    this would reference the American dollar, USA based servers which hold FIFA emails and American based headquarters of big sponsors e.g. Coca Cola

If its one thing that the land of the free detests, is white collar crime and its the effect on the little man

and don't forget, the USA was peeved not to win the 2018 cup final bid - this is pay back....Revenge is a dish best served cold

I think the US interest is linked to the fact that their (sensible) bid for the world cup failed, and the bid of a country that is an entirely unsuitable host won.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Thu, 28 May 2015 12:23
    I think the US interest is linked to the fact that their (sensible) bid for the world cup failed, and the bid of a country that is an entirely unsuitable host won.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see it go the same way as the European Championships goes and be held over a number of countries.

Just reported on radio that Gill will step-down from Vice President of FIFA if Blatter re-elected as he's not able to work with him.

This process is bringing up some very interesting figures. FIFA are a non-profit organisation with cash reserves in their bank account of over £1.5 billion.

That is money that should be improving grass roots football, yes it's a cliche but it holds truth. Blatter is apparently under scrutiny now and will be one of the next people targeted according to the person who gave the FBI documents which led to this process.

How anyone can run for re-election, when this corruption has been happening under his stewardship over the past 17 odd years he's been in charge is beyond me.

There's even talk of a new World Governing body being set up if indeed he wins re-election, which I sincerly hope he does not.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 23:16
    Quote Originally Posted by ragbone Red wrote on Wed, 27 May 2015 23:01
    Martha Stewart , Tim Allen,Robert Downey Jr,Mark Wahlberg, Wesley Snipes,Paris Hilton,Christian Salter. Even did Sir Paul
    Indeed forgot about that chappy, did time in the end though didn't he ?