+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: One in eight...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: One in eight...

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC_Urawa_Reds View Post
    Prostate isn't too serious if they catch it early, right? I'm pretty sure there's medication that can hold it off for 20 - 30 years (even without eradication).
    I'm not aware of medications that treat/prevent prostate cancer successfully. After my scare a couple years ago, the consultant recommended that I had a PSA every six months because it is a fair bit higher than expected for someone my age, but he believed it would stay within a range he was happy with - anything above a certain level in two successive tests would see me going back to Urology. presumably for another biopsy.

Having had an all clear from an earlier biopsy, it is thought I have benign prostate enlargement (BPE), a condition which can "mimic" all of the warning signs of cancer. There is medication which I understand softens the gland, thereby lessening the symptoms, if they become too bad, but I can live with what I have currently - the not drinking anything for an hour or two before a game that Cyclops talked about is something I've become familiar with in the last couple of years though!

Prostate cancer can have no symptoms, but if you experience any of these;-

a weak flow when you urinate
    a feeling that your bladder hasn’t emptied properly
    difficulty starting to urinate
    dribbling urine after you finish urinating
    needing to urinate more often, especially at night
    a sudden urge to urinate – you may sometimes leak before you get to the toilet.

I'd recommend to anyone that they get a simple blood test to check your prostate. I had two of the above symptoms for years and did nothing about them (it needed me to start pissing blood before I went to my GP), but I was lucky - the good thing is that if it's caught early enough, prostate cancer can be overcome, or lived with, in the vast majority of cases, it becomes a real problem if it spreads into other areas.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 25-04-16 at 05:34.