+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One in eight...

Re: What are the symptoms

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 wrote on Tue, 21 July 2015 15:38
    What are the symptoms ?
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Tue, 21 July 2015 14:52
    Did you feel anything different in yourself - or was it just a regular check?
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 13 July 2015 16:44
    Good luck with everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Mon, 13 July 2015 11:12
    There are no easy symptoms to recognise, which is why some men don't find out until it's too late, and already spread.
    That's true. Reliance on the PSA test alone is not sufficient as false negatives are not uncommon. Not a very pleasant experience of course! I get a PSA test plus the "old trusty digital examination" done every year.

Re: One in eight...

Little update.

I spoke to the oncologist yesterday about my treatment.
    He confirmed that the cancer was too small to see in the scan, and that only one biopsy of eleven showed it, but under a microscope, it's an agressive little sod.(Napoleon complex?)
    So I've been put on hormone treatment to suppress it.
    (What's a hormone? - " Is that all you're paying?" )

(I just hope I don't grow )

This has to be done by tablet and injection before they do the radiotherapy, which is now unlikely to start until October, or even November. However, he also said that it's likely to be over in four weeks instead of the usual six.

I was also asked to take part in a research survey, due to my relatively young age at diagnosis (60? young?)
    This will simply be a lifestyle and family history questionnaire, and some blood and DNA samples .
    Seems they have a project to investigate whether a gene is responsible, at least in part.
    Of course, I agreed. Anything to help tackle this common problem, and maybe help eradicate it in the future.

All for now.

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Wed, 12 August 2015 09:09
    Little update.
    All the best with your treatment bobh, sounds like you spotted it nice and early.

Another update.

There has been a longer wait than I expected to start radiotherapy.

I had to have a month' worth of hormone tablets, (which gave me the sh*ts ), followed by monthly hormone injections, (which didn't )

This was well worth it as my PSA level had gone up to 8.2 in August, but is now down to normal !

This means that the cancer has been beaten back, though obviously could return without further treatment.

I had a "planning" sessionn up at Velindre last week.
    I had to get there, then give myself an enema (yuk!), wait twenty mins for it to take effect, then drink lots of water.
    (Have to have an empty bowel, but full bladder, see
    )
    I was then scanned, and a computer calculates where to direct the radio beams.

I was then tattooed !!! Only three dots the size of a full stop, one on each hip and my belly. These will be used in each 'proper'session to direct the beams accurately.

To ensure that these dots stay accurate, I have to repeat the empty bowel/full bladder thing every visit

I start proper sessions in January.
    With the cancer already on the retreat, I'm well confident that it will be eradicated after the radiotherapy.

Post again in Jan.
    All for now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 14 December 2015 11:06
    Another update.
    Good luck Bob

That's good news Bob, hope the treatment continues to be successful

All the best Bob.

Well, just had my final session of radiotherapy.
    Apparently it goes on working for several weeks, and whilst I believe it has been successful, I won't find out for sure until a follow-up appt in April, which includes blood tests.

The small price I had to pay for this course of treatment is that it slightly irritates both bowel and bladder, so I have to ensure that I stay withing range of a loo.

But if it works, who cares about a short bout of diarr dior shits.

If nothing else, I hope this thread will encourage any man of a certain age to get tested (you can ask your GP for a PSA test at age 50 onwards )

Catching this bugger early is the key to beating it

Good luck bob

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 01 February 2016 13:02
    Well, just had my final session of radiotherapy.
    Well done you, and great advice at the end there!

Just got back from my follow-up consultation.

Yeeeee Haaaaaaaa!

I'm clear!

Obviously, I'll be monitored for probably the rest of my life, but for now I'm clear.

If nothing else, I hope this thread has either urged "men of a certain age" to get tested, or reassured anyone going through treatment that there is hope.

Good for you bob, well done!

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post

Yeeeee Haaaaaaaa!

I'm clear!

Obviously, I'll be monitored for probably the rest of my life, but for now I'm clear.

If nothing else, I hope this thread has either urged "men of a certain age" to get tested, or reassured anyone going through treatment that there is hope.
    Great news mate.

Blog Entries

That's great news, well done Bob

Yeeeee Haaaaaaaa!

I'm clear!

good news, happy for you

what is the " certain age " though / ??

Great news Bob. Really happy for you.

Yeeeee Haaaaaaaa!

I'm clear!

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Thanks for sharing that, and very good advice.

From what you have described it does sound as if you have done all the right things and caught it very early. Fingers crossed but you should be fine.

There are a few fellow sufferers on this board. By the sound of it you will be ok but will be given several trwtment options, from do nothing to surgery. You can pm me anytime, but my best advice is for you to get in touch with
    local prostate suppport group. You will find them a massive support.

...of us men will get prostate cancer sometime in our lives.

Well, if that stat is correct, 7 of you lucky bastards are in the clear!

My PSA* was tested over a few months, and was fluctuating in the "slightly over normal" range. Though not dangerously high, my GP referred me for further tests.

So I had a flow rate test (You pee into a machine) and internal examination. Again, I was told there's nothing obvious, and was asked if I wanted to have my PSA monitored by regular blood tests by my GP, or I could opt for a biopsy.
    I asked for the biopsy - after all, the earlier anything wrong is detected, the easier it is to treat.
    Well, they routinely take 8 - 12 samples, in my case they took eleven. Uncomfortable, but not painful, and my pee was tinted pink with blood for about 10 days (this is normal).
    A couple of weeks later, I went for my results.
    Who do you think I saw there?
    None other than my GP - as a patient! No wonder he had "lowered his threshhold" for referring patients.
    My results?
    Of the eleven samples, ten were clear.
    The eleventh showed signs of cancer.
    I've since had MRI and bone scans, results in about 2-3 weeks.

But, going by the marginality (is that a real word?) of my tests, I'm hopeful (and hoping) that this potentially horrible condition has been caught early enough, not just to treat, but to cure.
    Telling my wife and kids(all adults) has been the hardest part, and they've taken the news harder than I have done.

I still have to tell my mother and sisters, but I'll wait until I know more before giving them the news.

So, any of you approaching a 'certain age' - get your PSA tested, it could save your life.

I'll keep you posted.
    Best of luck, excellent advice regarding getting tested early, I had the news yesterday that a friend of mine has approx. 4 weeks to live (pancreatic) I was talking to him 2 weeks ago today about his plans for the future, a god damn awful disease that is taking far too many.

Nice one Bob

Really pleased for you and your family - now go and celebrate

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    good news, happy for you

what is the " certain age " though / ??
    I seem to remember 50 being mentioned to me at the Hospital when I had my scare a couple of years ago, but if you're younger than that and find that you're getting up at least once most nights to take a piss, it might be worth going for a blood test

Cancer is a terrible disease but at you you have a few options to cure it.I was diagnosed with COPD which is a progressive non reversable disease

Fantastic news.