Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
A quick follow up to this. Wales qualified for the 2023 Hockey World Cup in India today with a shoot-out win over an excellent Ireland side at Sophia Gardens after a 1-1 draw in normal time. It's the first time Wales men have made it to a World Cup, an amazing achievement considering the lack of funding. They'll be one of the only, if not the only, amateur team out there.

With football on too today I was hoping the timings would work in my favour but, unfortunately, I was able to watch the City game as well. Quite a contrast. If there's a comparison to be made, it's that this run for the Welsh hockey team followed a fractious relegation from the second division of the Euros in 2013, a slide into the mid-thirties in the world rankings and, as now, virtually no funding. A young coach came in full of new ideas, packed the squad with talented youngsters and started the rebuild which has culminated in today's events. I'm not saying it would pan out the same if City tried that way but I'd be more than happy to see us give it a go.
something i've been advocating for the last 10 years at our club . football has moved on a million optics but our club hasn't