+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wales win something

Re: Wales win something

Having seen the Glammy and Academy threads being banished to Sludge and Wales Bales' board, I've got my fears for this long running enormo-thread too. Let's see what happens.

Anyway, 8 years after a poorly funded Wales team were playing in the third tier of European hockey, a poorly funded Wales team started their third consecutive top division Euros today with a clash against the World Champions, Germany, in Monchengladbach. 3-1 down going into the final quarter in front of a full house was creditable enough (especially as the Germans had won the corresponding game 8-1 in 2021) but Wales managed to claw their way back into it and came up with a 3-3 draw, ruining countless accumulators in the process (possibly).

France up next. No love lost when they play, my lad got sin-binned against them in '21 for celebrating the winner in a French defender's face (when did that become a rule?). Then the World number one ranked Dutch team in the final group game followed by semis or 5-8th play offs.

Whatever happens it'll have been an adventure. The continued chronic lack of funding, in an increasingly professional sport, means that a fall back down the rankings seems inevitable at some point but the lads battle on and are always a credit to the family and friends who turn out to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Having seen the Glammy and Academy threads being banished to Sludge and Wales Bales' board, I've got my fears for this long running enormo-thread too. Let's see what happens.

Anyway, 8 years after a poorly funded Wales team were playing in the third tier of European hockey, a poorly funded Wales team started their third consecutive top division Euros today with a clash against the World Champions, Germany, in Monchengladbach. 3-1 down going into the final quarter in front of a full house was creditable enough (especially as the Germans had won the corresponding game 8-1 in 2021) but Wales managed to claw their way back into it and came up with a 3-3 draw, ruining countless accumulators in the process (possibly).

France up next. No love lost when they play, my lad got sin-binned against them in '21 for celebrating the winner in a French defender's face (when did that become a rule?). Then the World number one ranked Dutch team in the final group game followed by semis or 5-8th play offs.

Whatever happens it'll have been an adventure. The continued chronic lack of funding, in an increasingly professional sport, means that a fall back down the rankings seems inevitable at some point but the lads battle on and are always a credit to the family and friends who turn out to support them.
    That's got to be one of the best Welsh sporting results of the twenty first century, well done to all concerned.

First time I’ve come across this thread and was not aware of whole story, although knew we had improved. Well done for keeping it going and very interesting. Welsh sport needs all the positive PR it can get.

Germany traditionally one of the strongest hockey nations aren't they? Good draw that.

They are back. I moved them temporarily when the board was struggling as they said they may cull old posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Worcester View Post
    First time I’ve come across this thread and was not aware of whole story, although knew we had improved. Well done for keeping it going and very interesting. Welsh sport needs all the positive PR it can get.
    Thanks. There was another short thread here on their World Cup experience in January if you're interested.

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...31-Mens-Hockey

I'm flying out in the morning to catch the next three games. Obviously hoping they can build on yesterday's result but no one will be taking them lightly again so it's going to be tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    Germany traditionally one of the strongest hockey nations aren't they? Good draw that.
    They won the World Cup in January, deservedly so too. TOBW's take on it might not be too far off the mark, it was a terrific result.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    They are back. I moved them temporarily when the board was struggling as they said they may cull old posts.
    I remember you mentioning something about that, it's good to have them back.

Thanks. There was another short thread here on their World Cup experience in January if you're interested.

https://www.ccmb.co.uk/showthread.ph...31-Mens-Hockey

I'm flying out in the morning to catch the next three games. Obviously hoping they can build on yesterday's result but no one will be taking them lightly again so it's going to be tough.
    It's the hope that kills you. After a fantastic draw against Germany the Welsh lads suddenly had to deal with some expectation, for once, as the French were up next in a tricky, but winnable, game. Wales have had the better of them every time over the past 6 years but a slight dip in form and the law of averages did for Wales as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat.

A heavy loss against the Dutch followed. Absolutely no shame in that, the Dutch are World number one and ended up winning this tournament, but it seemed to knock the stuffing out of the lads and a shambolic 4-1 defeat to the bus-parking Austrians left them guaranteed to finish last with one game left.

A lot of these lads got their chance at international level after the 2013 squad imploded in Vienna, now it looked like this squad would do the same 10 years later. A lot of bad feeling and arguments in the changing room after, unheard of in this tight-knit group, but a team meeting later in the day cleared the air.

Spain needed a win in the last game to guarantee a place in the 2025 Euros. Wales only had pride to play for but they showed plenty of that, fighting back from 3-1 down to equalise late on. A draw would've been very creditable but the chance to beat a top ten side was there and they pushed for a winner. Summing up the week, they got caught on the counter-attack and conceded again with 26 seconds left for a 4-3 loss.

A tough week, time will tell what the consequences will be. One lad retired after the last game, a key back-room staff member too. A few more might feel it's time to call it a day soon, especially if they continue to have to fund the programme themselves. It's dawning on them that further progress is impossible without the kind of backing that other teams are getting.

It's the hope that kills you. After a fantastic draw against Germany the Welsh lads suddenly had to deal with some expectation, for once, as the French were up next in a tricky, but winnable, game. Wales have had the better of them every time over the past 6 years but a slight dip in form and the law of averages did for Wales as they slipped to a 2-0 defeat.

A heavy loss against the Dutch followed. Absolutely no shame in that, the Dutch are World number one and ended up winning this tournament, but it seemed to knock the stuffing out of the lads and a shambolic 4-1 defeat to the bus-parking Austrians left them guaranteed to finish last with one game left.

A lot of these lads got their chance at international level after the 2013 squad imploded in Vienna, now it looked like this squad would do the same 10 years later. A lot of bad feeling and arguments in the changing room after, unheard of in this tight-knit group, but a team meeting later in the day cleared the air.

Spain needed a win in the last game to guarantee a place in the 2025 Euros. Wales only had pride to play for but they showed plenty of that, fighting back from 3-1 down to equalise late on. A draw would've been very creditable but the chance to beat a top ten side was there and they pushed for a winner. Summing up the week, they got caught on the counter-attack and conceded again with 26 seconds left for a 4-3 loss.

A tough week, time will tell what the consequences will be. One lad retired after the last game, a key back-room staff member too. A few more might feel it's time to call it a day soon, especially if they continue to have to fund the programme themselves. It's dawning on them that further progress is impossible without the kind of backing that other teams are getting.
    Sports funding in the UK is very much an issue which doesn’t get the attention it should because it’s set up against all but the favoured few - is the issue of funding Welsh hockey part of a UK wide situation or is it strictly a local matter?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Sports funding in the UK is very much an issue which doesn’t get the attention it should because it’s set up against all but the favoured few - is the issue of funding Welsh hockey part of a UK wide situation or is it strictly a local matter?
    I don't know as much about this as I should but my loose understanding is that there's a twofold problem.

Firstly, the money that comes into GB Hockey is almost exclusively filtered into the English set-up. There was a good example of the contrast between the two in the build-up to the Euros when warm-up games were arranged at Bisham Abbey (which is stunning by the way, what's the Welsh equivalent?). While the professional England team were there as part of a preparation camp, the Welsh lads had to take a half day off work then drive down from Cardiff, London or wherever two days in a row and basically step out of their cars and on to the pitch for a hardly surprising arse-whooping. The long-standing Welsh manager left to join the GB (England) set-up a few years ago because they could offer him full-time employment. As proud a Welshman as you could find but it was a no-brainer for him.

The second problem seems to be with the Welsh Hockey organisation itself. The boys were upset and demoralised to find how much they were expected to contribute this season, it felt like a real kick in the teeth considering the progress they've made on the pitch in the past few years. There's talk of Welsh Hockey going bust but, whatever the issues with funding, it's hard to believe they haven't been able to cash in on 3 Euros and a World Cup by sorting out any kind of sponsorship deals. There was a weird incident in India where a guy came over to where a few boys were sitting and said that Drakeford was keeping in touch with their progress and was trying to sort out a deal with Tata Steel but nothing came of it.

I'll try and find out more about the situation when my youngest gets home but I'm certainly under the impression that the boys feel betrayed by the lack of support they get. The sub goalie in India did his ACL out there, only to find the proper insurance wasn't in place and he still hasn't had the surgery on it 6 months on. The team had to book pitches and organise training sessions themselves this summer because the preparation schedule for the Euros was so poor. It's not a good situation and, as I said, it wouldn't surprise me to see more of the squad dropping out if the situation doesn't improve soon.

I don't know as much about this as I should but my loose understanding is that there's a twofold problem.

Firstly, the money that comes into GB Hockey is almost exclusively filtered into the English set-up. There was a good example of the contrast between the two in the build-up to the Euros when warm-up games were arranged at Bisham Abbey (which is stunning by the way, what's the Welsh equivalent?). While the professional England team were there as part of a preparation camp, the Welsh lads had to take a half day off work then drive down from Cardiff, London or wherever two days in a row and basically step out of their cars and on to the pitch for a hardly surprising arse-whooping. The long-standing Welsh manager left to join the GB (England) set-up a few years ago because they could offer him full-time employment. As proud a Welshman as you could find but it was a no-brainer for him.

The second problem seems to be with the Welsh Hockey organisation itself. The boys were upset and demoralised to find how much they were expected to contribute this season, it felt like a real kick in the teeth considering the progress they've made on the pitch in the past few years. There's talk of Welsh Hockey going bust but, whatever the issues with funding, it's hard to believe they haven't been able to cash in on 3 Euros and a World Cup by sorting out any kind of sponsorship deals. There was a weird incident in India where a guy came over to where a few boys were sitting and said that Drakeford was keeping in touch with their progress and was trying to sort out a deal with Tata Steel but nothing came of it.

I'll try and find out more about the situation when my youngest gets home but I'm certainly under the impression that the boys feel betrayed by the lack of support they get. The sub goalie in India did his ACL out there, only to find the proper insurance wasn't in place and he still hasn't had the surgery on it 6 months on. The team had to book pitches and organise training sessions themselves this summer because the preparation schedule for the Euros was so poor. It's not a good situation and, as I said, it wouldn't surprise me to see more of the squad dropping out if the situation doesn't improve soon.
    I know that with UK funding (lottery?) the likes of cycling are doing really well because it’s successful, but sports have to keep on being successful to continue getting the level of funding they want and there are those that have lost their funding cut completely because their standards have dropped from a peak achieved years ago.

This doesn’t sound like that sort of case if Wales are suffering as much as that compared to England. The mention of Drakeford is interesting because, with football and rugby enduring something of a slump at national level, the hockey team is a success story even if the Euros didn’t go as well as hoped - seems tome that the WAG could get involved more in something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I know that with UK funding (lottery?) the likes of cycling are doing really well because it’s successful, but sports have to keep on being successful to continue getting the level of funding they want and there are those that have lost their funding cut completely because their standards have dropped from a peak achieved years ago.

This doesn’t sound like that sort of case if Wales are suffering as much as that compared to England. The mention of Drakeford is interesting because, with football and rugby enduring something of a slump at national level, the hockey team is a success story even if the Euros didn’t go as well as hoped - seems tome that the WAG could get involved more in something like this.
    I'm aware of the issues regarding lottery funding but I don't know where hockey stands there. England seem to be going from strength to strength for now (they finished runners-up in the Euros) so if funding has been cut to GB hockey it's not them that's suffered.

Drakeford was at a send-off for the boys before the World Cup and one of his sons used to play so I can believe he has a personal interest but I guess minority sports just aren't sexy enough to justify putting public money into them.

For me, the issue of sports funding is an important one. Covid showed Britain up as one of the sick men of Europe. If we cut down on the access to sport, be it in schools, grass roots or elite level, that situation is only going to get worse. If sport becomes more self-funding it's going to become harder for working class people to participate. There are all kinds of long term implications here, not that any politician thinks long term these days.