+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Yesterday's attendance - some facts and figures

Re: Yesterday's attendance - some facts and figures

Quote Originally Posted by ragbone wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:05
    Ah well at least someone is happy.
    I thought most people were happy after yesterday's game? That's the impression I got when I was reading the message boards this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:19
    Ah well at least someone is happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ragbone wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:05
    I thought most people were happy after yesterday's game? That's the impression I got when I was reading the message boards this morning.
    We're all quite happy, stop stinking the place out with your bitter analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Freitag 4.15 wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:23
    We're all quite happy, stop stinking the place out with your bitter analysis.
    You don't sound happy. You sound a bit, uh, well, bitter.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:50
    Yesterday's official attendance of 15,429 was the smallest by some distance for a Football League fixture at the Cardiff City Stadium. The previous lowest figure was 17,686 for a 2-0 victory over Peterborough United on a Tuesday evening in February 2010.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:36
    The crowd against Fulham was the smallest for a Cardiff City home league game since May 2008, when 14,469 turned out at Ninian Park to watch the Bluebirds beat Barnsley 3-0 a fortnight before the FA Cup final.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:22
    Yesterday's attendance was Cardiff's lowest on the opening weekend of a Football League season since way back in August 1999, when 10,193 saw the Bluebirds draw 1-1 with Millwall in the old Second Division, or League One as it is now known.
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:16
    Before the current season, Cardiff City had had home fixtures on the opening weekends of six other Football League campaigns since 1999. The attendances for the relevant matches were: 17,403 (v Wycombe Wanderers in 2001), 18,840 (v Stoke City in 2007), 19,749 (v Southampton in 2008), 22,264 (v Scunthorpe United in 2009), 20,573 (v Sheffield United in 2010) and 21,127 (v Huddersfield Town in 2012).
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:11
    The last time Cardiff had a smaller attendance than yesterday's for their first home league game of a season was a decade ago in August 2005. On that occasion, 15,231 turned out on a Tuesday evening to see the Bluebirds beat Leeds United 2-1 at Ninian Park.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 09:41
    Only Brentford and Rotherham United have so far attracted smaller crowds than Cardiff City on the opening weekend of the 2015/16 Championship campaign (Preston North End are playing Middlesbrough at lunchtime today).
    Spedger

The extra fans who boarded the red promotion train haven't stuck around. And we've lost previously loyal and committed fans along the way too. So we're now left with lower crowds than before Tan started applying his foresight and nous.

So far this appears to be unravelling precisely as predicted.

Was busier yesterday than most of last season. FACT.

If we go up or got to a Wembley final we'd sell around 25k season tickets, if we bum around mid table we'll have an average attendance of around 15k, if we go to league 1 about 12k.

It's mostly about success and always has been. I reckon Tan had alienated about 500-1k hardcore support but the low attendances now are mainly down to how sh1t we were last season and the low expectations for this season.

Simple/

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:53
    Maybe not personally but this board was action-packed with martyrs in the recent past. You can't have missed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:42
    Personally, I know plenty of people stopped going when the club was initially re-branded and plenty more who stopped during the first season in red. Some said they would consider returning to watch games if the blue kit was restored, but not a single one ever said they would simply return to supporting the club as before. After all, the divisions caused by Tan and his re-brand were always about a whole lot more than just the kit colour.
    Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 11:02
    Ok but I'm not convinced attendances would suddenly spike if Tan left the club. What, in your opinion, would it take to get attendances as high as you seem to think they should be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:57
    I'm not convinced they would spike either. There are a significant number of previously committed supporters who will never return as a result of the damage done by Tan and his re-brand and plenty of others who will only ever take in the occasional game in the future.
    You're at it again, so perhaps help us out on this one as well. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:46
    The extra fans who boarded the red promotion train haven't stuck around. And we've lost previously loyal and committed fans along the way too. So we're now left with lower crowds than before Tan started applying his foresight and nous.
    how do you know they havent stuck around and loyal fans have left maybe these loyal fans are not so loyal after all or simply the same as most people just go to certain games

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 12:32
    That's a weird conclusion. Tan's 'vision' came to an abrupt end last season and you're still using it as a rod to beat the club with regarding yesterdays attendance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 11:57
    Maybe if you could convince this "significant number of previously committed supporters" that you know to stop being so fickle instead.
    Respect .

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 11:08
    You are the figures man - so perhaps you could have just posted - "attendances are down as some people no longer go"
    No substance to validate any of it

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:40
    Tan's folly? TLG has proven in this thread that we had bigger crowds wearing red shirts and that all the "stay aways" who claimed they'd be back once we went back to blue were liars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 10:22
    How many people do you know who fit into the above category? Personally, I don't know any.
    Personally I know plenty.... No wait... Many

Great strike by Noone.

P.M.A.

There was major disconnection, division and disruption.
    We all know this, but clearly choose to acknowledge it differently.

It could take years to get the full on fervour back.

If ever.

Remember when we used to look at other Teams' support and almost always observe that, compared to City, they were lacking in passion, fervour and joyful noise?

I think the outcome of the events of recent years is that we became a lot more 'like the others'.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:53
    How many are "plenty and many" that you know personally? Just trying to gauge if it's a statistically significant number. It reads as though you might personally know thousands of people.
    How's that?

Quote Originally Posted by poc wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:57
    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:46
    So far this appears to be unravelling precisely as predicted.
    I don't know, but it seemed like common sense to me when people suggested it. And more likely than trying to find ways for Tan's strategy to be seen as a success. I also think the club know it and are now trying to address it.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:57
    I'd estimate the first figure to be at least 500 and the second to be more than 1,000 and probably a good deal higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:03
    Really? That's surprising because as someone who lives in Cardiff, ran a bus to away games, was heavily involved with the Supporters' Trust and was involved in a series of meetings between fans and club officials regarding the re-brand back in 2012, I don't know of any.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:15
    How many are "plenty and many" that you know personally? Just trying to gauge if it's a statistically significant number. It reads as though you might personally know thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:53
    Ooh, let me see now....
    There you go - that wasn't hard was it

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:21
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:03
    Really? That's surprising because as someone who lives in Cardiff, ran a bus to away games, was heavily involved with the Supporters' Trust and was involved in a series of meetings between fans and club officials regarding the re-brand back in 2012, I don't know of any.
    You need to get better connected then

Quote Originally Posted by Cardiff Irish wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:15
    Some Football fans are as fickle as a fourteen year old female in love.
    It's as simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:22
    There you go - that wasn't hard was it
    No, it wasn't. But then it didn't make the initial contribution any more valid or interesting either.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:18
    Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 13:57
    I'd estimate the first figure to be at least 500 and the second to be more than 1,000 and probably a good deal higher.
    Whilst from a data integrity perspective I'm interested in how many you know personally, your estimates in this response add no value as they are unsubstantiated.

Quote Originally Posted by Toronto wrote on Sun, 09 August 2015 14:27
    Whilst from a data integrity perspective I'm interested in how many you know personally, your estimates in this response add no value as they are unsubstantiated.
    Indeed. So it was a waste of time asking for them, really.