+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is Dumballs Rd like to live in ?

What is Dumballs Rd like to live in ?

Flat looks nice, but is the area safe ?

Re: What is Dumballs Rd like to live in ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 17:50
    http://www.crime-statistics.co.uk/postcode

It used to be 'interesting' with the old community on the one side and the new build gated community on the other. I wouldn't know what it's like now, but I'd want to make sure I'd been down there over a few nights and days to see what it felt like.

Didn't know people lived there, haven't been down there for years, was all factories the last time I went down there. Used to work in Curran engineering for a short while forty years ago, the Currans factories took up a fair bit of Dumballs road. The Thomas Hoskins club was down there too, always good for a late drink/stop-on.

Dumballs road is as safe as any area in Cardiff especially as the new central police station is on the same road, as for flats century wharf is ok but I wouldn't personally move to overstone court or the new flats opposite the old paddle steamer pub

P.s the Huggard centre is at the town end of dumballs road so maybe a few alcoholics and drug addicts hang around there, if she does move to that area leave nothing of value on show in her car

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 17:50
    It wouldn't be advisable to wander across the playground towards Loudoun Square on your own at night but that's plain common sense. As long as you're not lacking common sense, it's a perfectly pleasant area to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by tigerbaybluebird wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:24
    P.s the Huggard centre is at the town end of dumballs road so maybe a few alcoholics and drug addicts hang around there...

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:32
    P.s the Huggard centre is at the town end of dumballs road so maybe a few alcoholics and drug addicts hang around there...
    ...if she's ever been to a City away game she'll be familiar with this type of behaviour though.

Quote Originally Posted by Under the Splott-light wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:32
    ...if she's ever been to a City away game she'll be familiar with this type of behaviour though.
    The other place they are looking tomorrow is Schooner Way, which I would think would be decent

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:57
    What sort of price range is she looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 17:53
    It used to be 'interesting' with the old community on the one side and the new build gated community on the other. I wouldn't know what it's like now, but I'd want to make sure I'd been down there over a few nights and days to see what it felt like.
    its never been interesting in fact its always been boring

Banned

I wouldn't walked down there once the sun sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:59
    Yeah she has.
    The only problem is, Tim would be punching me after.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 20:03
    Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 18:59
    Yeah she has.
    She's also been a student for 4 years and probably saw worse there.
    I'm saying nothing at this point...

P.M. your concerns/questions regarding the area.

It's nice enough - a little quiet if anything. The collge will be fully open before long, so there'll be more services around too. I've never encountered any issues around Loudoun Square either despite its reputation.

I think your biggest concern will be all the building work when Curran R.d ind est is redeveloped.

Most of the flats that way are in secure compounds, not sure if its to keep the owners in or any undesirables out , I go through dumballs road on the bike to the bay it seems ok to me, a colleague also had a flat there he got on ok and never had a problem. as a few have mentioned you have plod on the corner as a backstop.

Horrendous place to live, my mother's house was completely wrecked there, two of her neighbours were killed as well........................................mind you the Luftwaffe were responsible and the top part where she lived was known as Tresillian Terrace then.

Cheers chaps

I wouldn't want any daughter of mine walking from town towards the flats anytime after dark. As mentioned the Huggard Centre is down the the one end and whilst I'm sure Sludge thinks every single homeless person is the salt of the earth, lots of people appear to have a different experience.

Just rented out my place on schooner way, pretty quiet around there and easy for both town and the bay. Amazing how much dumballs road has changed over the years. My old man worked in a a factory there for 40 years or so and I had my first proper job there as a 16 year old it was an eye opener back then as there was literally nothing but derelict buildings, tramps, hookers and glue heads and that was daytime. I don't think it's the sort of road now that would be that safe to wander down on your own late at night as a female. Albeit with the plod at the end of the road, doesn't mean that much on the street as they say. I guess you just have to be aware like in any city central location

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Wed, 19 August 2015 21:37
    I wouldn't want any daughter of mine walking from town towards the flats anytime after dark.
    Dont be daft mate

Been to loads of gigs , party's etc down the docks over the years , always went with two mates, never ever had a problem , day or night , loudon square , bute street , old docks , butetown carnival

Used to work in the community centre by the tower blocks

I was told don't piss about in butetown and be respectful to people and at night go with a few mates

Great memories

They moved the abattoir there in the late 60's, is it another kind of meat market down there now ?

Winking smiley