+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Disabled but fit for work? - Make a will

Re: Disabled but fit for work? - Make a will

Feedy, you say that you speak from personal experience well here is my personal experience.
    My sister has worked for the DWP for 30 years & is in charge of a job centre.
    I have a close family member with severe mental health issues.
    My sister says that nowadays her job is totally target driven.
    She is both shocked & sickened by the state some of her customers are in that have been assessed by ATOS/DWP as fit for work & says she knows that there is no chance of them ever working.
    They have just been taken off one benefit & put onto another benefit, a benefit that is cheaper for the govt.
    They are now in a situation where they are under much more stress & can be subject to harsh sanctions. Neither of which are good for their already poor physical/mental health & as such worsens their quality of life which is the opposite of what the govt "claims" they are trying to do.
    I do not believe that ATOS or any private company should be involved in carrying out "assessments" nor do I believe that DWP staff should have the final say as to whether someone is fit or not to work.
    Quite frankly the fact that a DWP member of staff, using an ATOS "tick" sheet assessment can over rule the decision of a time served, highly trained & skilled medical professional shows the callousness of this govt & the depths they will go to to prove that they are right & save a few quid.
    If they pursued tax dodgers with the same vigour as the sick & vulnerable there would be a lot more money in the coffers.

headlight

Quote Originally Posted by headlight wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 08:17
    Feedy, you say that you speak from personal experience well here is my personal experience.

A very good point about the tax dodgers It all seems a bit ideological to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 01:54
    Disabled people are more than capable of working. It's insulting to suggest that they can't and shouldn't work. With the right support and framework in place people with disability are just as capable and productive. You seem to think a disability is a barrier to working whereas it's not.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Mon, 31 August 2015 22:38
    DLA is not about health as you have suggested. It's about living with a disability. Plenty of people on DLA are as healthy as anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Mon, 31 August 2015 16:17
    THIS POST MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH YOU!
    This is total bollocks. The fact that someone is on DLA means, ipso facto, that he/she is NOT as healthy as anyone else.

Feedback

you will find that I have not disagreed with anything that you have written, especially the bit in bold. What I have disagreed with is the conclusions drawn from the data released. it is nothing more than that however some feel the need to vent their spleen in my direction as they think I'm advocating a system when I'm not.

My sister says that nowadays her job is totally target driven
    What happened to the old "there are no targets at the DWP" line that Mr Smith was trotting out not so long ago?

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 09:09
    What happened to the old "there are no targets at the DWP" line that Mr Smith was trotting out not so long ago?
    In parliamentary language, I suspect he may have told an untruth.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 08:53
    You implied "all" here, even if you've qualified your statement now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobh wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 08:53
    I most certainly did not imply 'all' at any time. if you took it that way then that is your issue and not mine.
    The point being made is that disabilities affect people differently even when they are the same medical condition. There is no magic cure and no right or wrong, even when the condition is (clinically) the same. Just because you personally are unable to work does not mean all disabled people are unable to work.

headlight

Quote Originally Posted by headlight wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 09:19
    It is a pack of lies, it has been target driven for years
    How do they silence all the staff, surely there must be some people with a conscience working there?

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 Septembe[/quote
    How do they silence all the staff, surely there must be some people with a conscience working there?
    headlight

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by headlight wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 10:40
    No idea, perhaps they are scared of speaking out for fear of losing their jobs or being put in an untenable position ?
    Target setting isn't as bad as you are making out as it is a feedback and control method that allows action to be taken if behaviour or outcomes are not what you would expect.

No idea, perhaps they are scared of speaking out for fear of losing their jobs or being put in an untenable position ?

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 10:56
    Or maybe it is because the ordinary workers are continually told that they are not target driven whereas senior staff are fully aware of it ?
    It seems you are almost willing whatever it is inside your head to be true

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:14
    Or maybe it is because the ordinary workers are continually told that they are not target driven whereas senior staff are fully aware of it ?
    Who knows, just stating what I have been told for several years now.
    you're happy to take the word of someone off the internet you don't know without question just because it suits your agenda but question everything else, even official government statistics, when it doesn't. I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:24
    headlight
    TBF it seems to be only you and IDS who are on the same page!

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:28
    headlight
    throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here, whilst I am not doubting the veracity of what you say (and what your sister says), there could be a world of difference between being set targets and being set targets as described here in relation to ATOS.
    other than everyone else in this thread who have questioned your use of stats in this context you're probably right

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:36
    headlight
    throwing the cat amongst the pigeons here, whilst I am not doubting the veracity of what you say (and what your sister says), there could be a world of difference between being set targets and being set targets as described here in relation to ATOS.
    Target setting isn't as bad as you are making out as it is a feedback and control method that allows action to be taken if behaviour or outcomes are not what you would expect.
    Yeah well, them too, but you get my point

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:40
    headlight
    The current policy is not fit for purpose not because you and your preferred stats say it is but because its a typical civil service one size fits all box ticking exercise that doesn't take in to account the human angle and the fact that each situation is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:44
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluey wrote on Tue, 01 September 2015 12:40
    headlight
    you're happy to take the word of someone off the internet you don't know without question just because it suits your agenda but question everything else, even official government statistics, when it doesn't. I see.
    I don't hate the Tories and I don't love Labour. But being a true Welshman I have been shaped by my environment, and I will always wish the best for my fellow countrymen