+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Ten Commandments (of Logic)

The Ten Commandments (of Logic)

The Ten Commandments of Logic and fallacies

1. Thou shalt not attack the person's character, but the argument (Fallacy - Ad Hominem)

2. Thou shalt not misrepresent or exaggerate a person's argument in order to make it easier to attack (Straw man fallacy).
    3. Thou shalt not use small numbers to represent the all (hasty generalisation)
    4. Thou shalt not argue thy position by assuming that one of its premises is true (Begging the question)
    5. Thou shalt not claim that because something occurred before an event then it is the cause of that event (Fallacy Post Hoc Ergo Proctor Hoc)
    6. Thou shalt not reduce the argument down to two possibilities (false dichotomy)
    7. Thou shalt not argue that because of our ignorance a claim must be true or false (Ad Ignoratum)
    8. Thou shalt not lay the burden of proof onto him who is questioning the claim (burden of proof reversal)
    9. Thou shalt not assume that 'this' follows 'that' when there is no logical connection (Non Sequitur)
    10. Thou shalt not argue that because a premise is popular. therefore it must be true (bandwagon fallacy)

Re: The Ten Commandments (of Logic)

Hmmm, great question Gwynedd. I think that it's

Banned

11.Thou shall not swamp the mb with pseudo intellectual bollox

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:01
    FFS! Put him on ignore!!

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:03
    Really - if you don't want to read my threads then you know what to do...

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:01
    Many thanks for your restraint Colonel...

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:05
    I think you will find, Goslow, that logic is not really pseudo intellectual bollox.
    What is logic? It's a set of rules that man has defined. The rules could have been defined differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:09
    I think you will find, Goslow, that logic is not really pseudo intellectual bollox.
    Aristotle created the system of logic that we still use today - but in order to challenge any of these commandments you must use argument. Your observation, though very relevant, does not really challenge anything.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:16
    What is logic? It's a set of rules that man has defined. The rules could have been defined differently.
    I wasn't challenging anything

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:16
    You are not wrong Feedy - but that applies to most things in our social, moral, economic and political lives.
    To say that it is self-explanatory (as you have done in the past) is not really helpful to someone trying to understand what you are getting at.

Feedback

I am saying that logic is determined by the rules. In that respect we define what is and isn't logical

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:28
    I am saying that logic is determined by the rules. In that respect we define what is and isn't logical
    Come on now - if you can't come up with something better then why don't you simply - well...

Feedback

GB

the rules are logical because we have defined what is logical and what isn't logical.

You have defined the parameters you are using and then using the very same parameters to define what is logical. It's circular.

and they're off..

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:36
    GB
    I'm asking you to do the same...

Feedback

I've never criticised you GB I've criticised your writing style. It's verbose, long winded and says very little. That's my observation. That is not ad hominem as I am not criticising you or your Internet persona.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 19:19
    I've never criticised you GB I've criticised your writing style. It's verbose, long winded and says very little. That's my observation. That is not ad hominem as I am not criticising you or your Internet persona.
    I'm not going to spell it out for you..

Feedback

I don't know your character. I have no idea what you are like. All I know about you is that you often post snippets from your university essays in response to posts made by others. That's a comment about your writing style, for the avoidance of doubt.

Next flounce .

Gwynedd Blue 1/6 on

Seems a shame

Nice enough guy just very dull.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 19:36
    I don't know your character. I have no idea what you are like. All I know about you is that you often post snippets from your university essays in response to posts made by others. That's a comment about your writing style, for the avoidance of doubt.
    If you have problems with my style is it not possible that this is your problem, not mine....

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 19:39
    Next flounce .
    Interesting to note that the board appears to have found a new poster to lay in to, incessantly.

Feedback

FFS

The delicate little wallflower comment was a result of you getting upset over comments made by someone else which when looked at in retrospect were nothing worth getting upset about.

I think you misunderstand my point about your university essays.

I don't have a problem with you or what you post at all. You are entitled to voice your opinion like everyone else. My comment is about your writing style and how you interact with everyone else.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 19:42
    Next flounce .
    Gwynedd Blue 1/6 on
    I don't think people are laying in to him, just articulating their thoughts regarding what he posts and how he posts it. It's hard work at times.

Next flounce .
    Gwynedd Blue 1/6 on
    I have had enough of people like Feedy and the Colonel - who has been known to join bandwagons or take out threads questioning my existence....

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynedd Blue wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 19:47
    Next flounce .
    Gwynedd Blue 1/6 on
    Seems a shame
    Honestly?