+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Rugby players per nation

Rugby players per nation

Looking at the above image, showing numbers of rugby players per nation you have to wonder why England don't dominate the sport, especially in the six nations.

I initially thought that with football being so dominant in England, and much better paid at the elite level, perhaps the most talented sportsmen are syphoned off.
    But then when you look at Australia, rugby union is some way behind cricket, afl and rugby league in terms of popularity, although admittedly there are transferrable skills with two of those.

Why do you think England don't win more at rugby?

Feedback

Re: Rugby players per nation

I'm in work and have left my bionic eye at home. could you therefore make the image a little larger.

Thanks ever so kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 12:40
    I'm in work and have left my bionic eye at home. could you therefore make the image a little larger.
    You'll have to zoom in if you want to see it. I'm on my phone, looks fine on there.

I believe that this is showing that loads of kids play rugby in England, but the total number of adults playing it is similar to that in France and South Africa. The fact that less than 1000 adults play in Georgia is staggering, when you consider what a terrific performance they put in against the all blacks.

Also, as a graphic it's inaccurate. The circle representing 167k England adult players is smaller than the one representing 110k in France, or the one representing about 150k total players in Ireland.

These infographics are all well and good, but if they are not to scale it's just some stats and some random circles.

No Scottish team has ever won the FA Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 13:02
    I believe that this is showing that loads of kids play rugby in England, but the total number of adults playing it is similar to that in France and South Africa. The fact that less than 1000 adults play in Georgia is staggering, when you consider what a terrific performance they put in against the all blacks.
    Was surprised by how many Japan had.

Quote Originally Posted by redjk wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 13:07
    Also, as a graphic it's inaccurate. The circle representing 167k England adult players is smaller than the one representing 110k in France.
    Also worth pointing out (vis a vis Japan in particular) that this is 4 years old now. I imagine Japanese interest would have increased since the last world cup so the number could well be bigger by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 13:10
    Also, as a graphic it's inaccurate. The circle representing 167k England adult players is smaller than the one representing 110k in France.
    They have 50% more adult players than sa or France, and many times more than any of the other top nations.
    Im sure there are 1 or 2 English women players .

Rugby is certainly not a miniority sport in Japan, infact I had always held the mistaken belief that Japan had more amateur rugby clubs than any other country.

Don't forget that the Welsh, Scottish national teams (and others) get about one third of their players from other countries.

England are crap at ruby and football, hopefully we can give them a leathering in the Euros

Quote Originally Posted by SLUDGE FACTORY wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 16:04
    England are crap at ruby and football, hopefully we can give them a leathering in the Euros
    I've had some nice "ruby murrey's" in Ingurland they're not all crap rubies.

The 6 nations title should be competed between France, England and Ireland every year. That it's not is a fantastic achievement by our team and a huge credit to Warren Gatland.

What it fails to show is if your a kid in England,Scotland,Argentina,Uruguay,Italy then your best talents will be encouraged to play football while in the rest especially in Wales then they will most certainly will not.

Quote Originally Posted by insider wrote on Mon, 05 October 2015 12:35
    Are they the number of registered players EVER? Or current?