+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful nationalisation of CWL

Successful nationalisation of CWL

Just had an email stating that passenger numbers were up by 21% in September.

Wll done to the Welsh Government for safeguarding this critical part of Welsh infrastructure

Re: Successful nationalisation of CWL

All the Irish flying in on Ryanair for the RWC nqat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex DeLarge wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:52
    Nah, I was watching those on Flightradar24 and that was October anyway, with up to 12 extra flights in per day on some of those days.

If it's turning a profit the Tories will be itching to flog it off as soon as they get the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:55
    If it's turning a profit the Tories will be itching to flog it off as soon as they get the opportunity.
    Aye. But only to a foreign Government.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:56
    Yeah, give North Korea fist dibs. China, Saudi Arabia, North Korea has a nice ring to it, our new best mates

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:59
    Yeah, give North Korea fist dibs. China, Saudi Arabia, North Korea has a nice ring to it, our new best mates
    The Saudi's are suddenly out of favour, Iran is your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:59

Just so you know - CWL is owned by the WAG, the WAG is run by Labour - but let let that you have nightmares it maybe over run by the Tories

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 17:39
    Just so you know - CWL is owned by the WAG, the WAG is run by Labour - but let let that you have nightmares it maybe over run by the Tories
    Yeah, that's why I said:
    Hope this helps.

There's still a very long way to go at CWL, in trying to make up for the complete balls up TBI made when it was in their private hands (losing both Ryanair and Easyjet to Bristol when they were interested in their early days when we were the busier airport).

But there are very encouraging signs from the new routes with the likes of Flybe and Vueling. I understand the KLM route to Amsterdam is also very busy nowadays, meaning you can transfer to anywhere in the world from Schiphol thus avoiding Heathrow / Gatwick etc.

Would also like to see the return of the direct Florida charter routes.

The true test will come when you speak to people in South Wales and they say they've all been able to stop flying from the incredibly poorly located Bristol Airport, due to the correct prices and routes out of CWL.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 16:54
    Nah, I was watching those on Flightradar24 and that was October anyway, with up to 12 extra flights in per day on some of those days.
    I'm pretty sure the figures from the CAA show its still declining. I hope you're right though as we need a growing airport. I flew to Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and it was very easy, much easier than having to get to Bristol. saying that the flight back was via edinburgh as the Cardiff Glasgow route in the morning has something like a half hour turnaround time

Banned

It'll never take off.

Its great to see the figures going up. Glad it was purchased by the government, its was going no-where. Still a while to go before we can call it a success though. Its had years of decline, which only stopped in the last year, figures need to double to get back where they were. Get to that point and aim for more, then its a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 18:58
    I'm pretty sure the figures from the CAA show its still declining. I hope you're right though as we need a growing airport. I flew to Glasgow a couple of weeks ago and it was very easy, much easier than having to get to Bristol. saying that the flight back was via edinburgh as the Cardiff Glasgow route in the morning has something like a half hour turnaround time
    Heard conflicting figures of late, recently it was in decline, but this week heard something like 20% up on last year, though RWC and Ashes have a part in that, but over the winter bookings are up 14% on last year. So there is growth, but its only the shoots of growth, as this year has been figures go down aswell as up.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 19:08
    Heard conflicting figures of late, recently it was in decline, but this week heard something like 20% up on last year, though RWC and Ashes have a part in that, but over the winter bookings are up 14% on last year. So there is growth, but its only the shoots of growth, as this year has been figures go down aswell as up.
    If the governent wold devolve APD to wales (like they've done to Scotland) it would be easier to grow, perhaps growth would happen quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 19:13
    If the governent wold devolve APD to wales (like they've done to Scotland) it would be easier to grow, perhaps growth would happen quicker.
    I believe this was partly why we lost Easyjet and Ryanair when they chose Bristol instead.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 19:15
    Thought that had been done as Transport was devolved. If not, then yes, this has to be done absolutely urgently.
    Apd is the same in England and Wales so that can't be the reason why they chose Bristol. Pax/landing taxes - that could be different

Quote Originally Posted by Feedback wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 19:26
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 19:15
    Thought that had been done as Transport was devolved. If not, then yes, this has to be done absolutely urgently.
    I believe this was partly why we lost Easyjet and Ryanair when they chose Bristol instead.
    correct. its weird how they'll devolve apd to scotland but not wales.. for a party that is build on free market and competition, i wonder why that is....

Need to get some semi-interesting destinations for weekend breaks, for example central European or Baltic cities. Also, there are plenty of places in good proximity in these regions which would benefit a lot of people - flown Bristol to different (small) Polish airports and been packed every time. Also, I'm being selfish as it would help me to get to Cardiff from a C. European city cheaply, rather than have to pay the fortune (particularly for the time it takes) to get from a London airport all the time. Keep the prices low and it could also see an increase in tourism to Cardiff as well as convenient for the rest of us. Notice the Spain routes haven't died out after a few years and the expansion of FlyBe can only be promising.

Just a thought - a few direct routes to places with a lot of football could see Welsh and South-West fans use it travel to abroad games? Maybe I overestimate the numbers but the weekend of the Belgrade derby, my flight (from Luton) was packed with fans of all clubs, and Twitter hashtags seem full of British people travelling away to watch games.

Waiting at Newcastle airport last night for a Bristol flight when I noticed that the Eastern Airways Cardiff flight was leaving an hour or so earlier. Out of interest I checked the prices for next week, same times as we travelled Easyjet this week. The return price Cardiff to Newcastle with Eastern was £582 for me and the missus, I think I paid around £240 up and back with Easyjet with a £34 parking fee at long stay. Still would have had to pay parking at Rhoose. We do use Vueling from Cardiff for Alicante though and find them very competitive but domestic flights, just can't compare with Bristol.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 20:21
    Waiting at Newcastle airport last night for a Bristol flight when I noticed that the Eastern Airways Cardiff flight was leaving an hour or so earlier. Out of interest I checked the prices for next week, same times as we travelled Easyjet this week. The return price Cardiff to Newcastle with Eastern was £582 for me and the missus, I think I paid around £240 up and back with Easyjet with a £34 parking fee at long stay. Still would have had to pay parking at Rhoose. We do use Vueling from Cardiff for Alicante though and find them very competitive but domestic flights, just can't compare with Bristol.
    Presumably the WAG can take credit for those domestic prices too!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leggy wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 20:06
    Need to get some semi-interesting destinations for weekend breaks, for example central European or Baltic cities. Also, there are plenty of places in good proximity in these regions which would benefit a lot of people - flown Bristol to different (small) Polish airports and been packed every time. Also, I'm being selfish as it would help me to get to Cardiff from a C. European city cheaply, rather than have to pay the fortune (particularly for the time it takes) to get from a London airport all the time. Keep the prices low and it could also see an increase in tourism to Cardiff as well as convenient for the rest of us. Notice the Spain routes haven't died out after a few years and the expansion of FlyBe can only be promising.
    Flights direct to Düsseldorf is a decent start for that ...within range of Fortuna Düsseldorf, Mönchengladbach, Dortmund, Schalke, Leverkusen & Köln

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 17:46
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Fri, 30 October 2015 17:39
    Yeah, that's why I said:
    Nice try - unless of course you think the Tories will win next years WAG election - in which case - you've hit the sauce too early again