+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Air New Zealand

Air New Zealand

Booked to fly with them Down under for New year. Anybody flown with them? Heard some good things.

Flying via Los Angeles - first time going the other way so to speak.

Re: Air New Zealand

Flying with them in March to LA also. YouTube videos look good in comparison to other similar companies and got a return for £420.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 12:18
    Flying with them in March to LA also. YouTube videos look good in comparison to other similar companies and got a return for £420.
    Feck me that is a decent price. Mine was under £1000 with great stopover times less than 3 hours there and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 12:20
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 12:18
    Feck me that is a decent price. Mine was under £1000 with great stopover times less than 3 hours there and back.
    I only booked about 6 weeks ago too, so £420 to fly 10,000 miles is quite brilliant.

One of the best airlines out there. One of the best deals, too they did some £400 fares to LA recently which is why you are seeing these prices - they are amazing. It's a crazy cheap fare really. (although you could do it in Business class with BA for about £700 a few weeks ago) You can actually book the skycouch in economy with Air NZ too - take a look. I don't really see the point, but at least it's inventive. Their premium economy seat gets a lot of plaudits too, as it looks like a business class seat (but doesn't lie flat).

They are also well-known for their in-flight safety briefing vids. At first glance you might not think that much is up with it, but if you look closely they've just body-painted the cabin crew - they aren't actually wearing their uniforms.

EDIT: Zenith, would you mind telling me when you booked that? they were doing £399 until Feb, but you are flying in march and it sounds like you've benefited from their sale fares anyway? Or are you flying out in Feb?

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 12:49
    One of the best airlines out there. One of the best deals, too they did some £400 fares to LA recently which is why you are seeing these prices - they are amazing. It's a crazy cheap fare really. (although you could do it in Business class with BA for about £700 a few weeks ago) You can actually book the skycouch in economy with Air NZ too - take a look. I don't really see the point, but at least it's inventive. Their premium economy seat gets a lot of plaudits too, as it looks like a business class seat (but doesn't lie flat).
    I booked on the last couple of weeks in Sept. Flying 15th March and returning 29th March.

I used them a lot internally in NZ. Excellent service.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 13:00
    They are also well-known for their in-flight safety briefing vids. At first glance you might not think that much is up with it, but if you look closely they've just body-painted the cabin crew - they aren't actually wearing their uniforms.
    Thanks. Well, well done - that's a terrific fare on a great airline. I've never actually flown with them but I've got a mate who goes out of his way to use them. He particularly likes that you can order snacks and drinks from your in-seat TV.

Get Benidorm out of the way this week and I can start looking forward to missing virtually all of Christmas day as I will be going to the extremes of the time zones in West coast of America and then onto Auckland.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 13:31
    If yo are flying alone, then the skycouch is almost certainly not worth it as it costs something like £599 each way additional - and you might as well go for PE or even business at that price. However if there are two or three of you, then it is a lot cheaper (I think it's under £100 to reserve it for three of you each way).

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 13:55
    Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 13:31
    EDIT: Zenith, would you mind telling me when you booked that? they were doing £399 until Feb, but you are flying in march and it sounds like you've benefited from their sale fares anyway? Or are you flying out in Feb?
    Flying alone both ways. I can always pop a sleeping tablet if the boredom kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by Squashed Grapes wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 12:16
    Booked to fly with them Down under for New year. Anybody flown with them? Heard some good things.
    Excellent airline-went out via Hong Kong with them and back via Rarotonga and LA.Used them on internal flights in NZ too.Top service,comfortable and spacious seating in Economy.Tough to choose between them and Singapore Airlines for best I have been with.

Air New Zealand are top class- flew with them in March/April for my honeymoon, London Heathrow to LAX. Upgraded us FOC to Skycouch on the way out (made a point of dressing smartly to try and blag whatever I could; business class didn't happen unfortunately), with champagne and gift bags brought to us by one of the flight attendants who just so happened to be from Mountain Ash! No such luck on the way home, but the headrest TVs are the biggest you'll see in economy, and the seats are comfy. As someone said previously too, nice to be able to place an order for drinks/extras (blankets etc) through your TV and have it brought straight to you. Would 100% recommend and will definitely use them if we can ever afford another holiday like that again!

Quote Originally Posted by Colin's Reversible Hat wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 17:42
    Air New Zealand are top class- flew with them in March/April for my honeymoon, London Heathrow to LAX. Upgraded us FOC to Skycouch on the way out (made a point of dressing smartly to try and blag whatever I could; business class didn't happen unfortunately), with champagne and gift bags brought to us by one of the flight attendants who just so happened to be from Mountain Ash! No such luck on the way home, but the headrest TVs are the biggest you'll see in economy, and the seats are comfy. As someone said previously too, nice to be able to place an order for drinks/extras (blankets etc) through your TV and have it brought straight to you. Would 100% recommend and will definitely use them if we can ever afford another holiday like that again!
    What did you make of the skycouch? Would you spend £300 to upgrade the two of you it, each way? Did you try/manage to get any sleep on it (I guess not as it was the outbound).

Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 17:47
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin's Reversible Hat wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 17:42
    What did you make of the skycouch? Would you spend £300 to upgrade the two of you it, each way? Did you try/manage to get any sleep on it (I guess not as it was the outbound).
    I'd say if you're looking to sleep most of the flight, or have a cwtch with someone and perhaps get some shuteye, and your Air NZ flights are cheaper than elsewhere (ours beat the competition by about £150 each), it could very well be worth going for.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin's Reversible Hat wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 19:19
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimistic Nick wrote on Mon, 02 November 2015 17:47
    Probably not, but I'm a tightarse
    Great, thanks! I'm borderline-obsessed with having the most comfortable long-haul flights as possible, and the skycouch is probably the most exciting development in Economy this year so it's good to hear what it's like.

I used them in the summer for our trip to California, excellent airline.

Best rated economy airline out there apparently.

TV's in seats have a large rang of films/ tv series which made time fly by.

Food was decent as well, also loved the security vids, first one in years we all watched.

all sounds good -

will report back in the new year.

Only flown them some years ago and they were pretty good then. A friend who flies to LA a couple of times a year reckons their premium economy is as good as business class on some other airlines.

Would like to try them myself, but I fly to SF a couple of times a year and am stuck with United, whose premium economy is crap!