+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brendan Rodgers for Cardiff City?

Brendan Rodgers for Cardiff City?

I was chatting to someone last night about City's progress this season under Slade and Trollope. The guy I was chatting to, a football agent, was scathing about Slade's methods, that our players are losing faith and that City will go nowhere fast. I pointed out that I saw Slade as little more than a front man with the charm while Trollope is the busy bee in the background getting the technical work done on organisation and tactics. But that still we are close enough to give it a decent shot.

He threw a total spanner in the conversation after about ten minutes and said "I hear from my contacts that your boys have opened talks with Brendan Rogers. Rogers enjoyed his time in South Wales and would go back, and although Tan wants his squad done cheaply he still wants to see better football and youth players coming through and be able to buy players cleverly and sell on. He has got out of this division and can kept that team in the Premiership. He thinks Rogers can tick all boxes and he is available".

I told the guy "I see the reasoning but Tan has beef with Rogers for his comments about his handling of managers in the past. I also reckon Brendan now sees himself as above this level and probably fancies a move to Spain next".

His reponse was "He isn't a name in Spain so no big club will go after him. What any mid tier team can pay in Spain Tan could easily match. He is talking I am telling you. Slade has hit the end of the road. They have the right No.2 but Tan still wants a better No.1. Slade was always a short term cheapie to keep the seat warm. Rogers ticks all boxes. Tan will pay".

Personally I think it's baloney but has anyone else heard this?

Re: Brendan Rodgers for Cardiff City?

He'd do a good job here, despite being a smug tit who overestimates his own ability. But that overestimation is why he won't return to the champ yet. Unfortunately for him there are probably no obtainable premier league jobs on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 10:22
    He'd do a good job here, despite being a smug tit who overestimates his own ability. But that overestimation is why he won't return to the champ yet. Unfortunately for him there are probably no obtainable premier league jobs on the horizon.
    If he is talking to Cardiff it will be because he loves the sound of his own voice.

Good manager and would be more than happy to have him here

There is no chance, he is better off sitting back with no job than taking the Cardiff job.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 10:26
    There is no chance, he is better off sitting back with no job than taking the Cardiff job.
    I know we all agree on that .

It won't happen, but it would be a step forward if it did.

I think it's' probably laughable that Rodgers would come here - for the same reasons that everyone else has said.

Would I like him here - yes , but I think that he thinks he is a premier league manager - so anything else is a step down.

The Jacks seem to have a knack in that whoever they appoint - they do well, I dont think they can be lucky that many times - so te reason managers succeed there is down to the backroom staff setup and football 'philosophy' for want of a better word.

In other words the owner isnt mad, they dont have a car salesman and hotel owner as chief exec / chairman

Rodgers managerial record is not that great apart from a decent spell at Swansea. At Watford he lost his first 13 games and finished mid table while at Reading he left the club/sacked one place above relegation. Rodgers might be better than Slade -but probably not much - but would be likely to have his sights on a better club than CCFC simply for his one good season at Liverpool.

There is no way Rodgers would want to join Cardiff and there is no way I would want him based on his past record.

Other than Swansea has Rodgers really done anything else anywhere?

Got Watford to 13th, left Reading one place above the relegation places, got sacked from Liverpool after wasting huge amounts of money.

The Swansea team he took over were already a pretty good team, but he clearly did well to take them to the next level, but with his other jobs he doesn't appear to have done anything of note.

I'm sure he'd love to come here

working with Revell, Mason and Jones would be exactly the same as Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling and I'm sure we'd soon see the same dynamism up front

This post is brought to you by the sarcastic don't be silly society.

He'll have a premier league job within a year and he can drool over himself once again - The man is a self serving arse.

There is no sign that Tan and Dalman have lost faith in Slade. The squad has been trimmed, the wage bill reduced, the team seems to be much more together, the league position is still OK (although could slide if we don't get wins soon) and the style of play has been better than last year even with a turgid October just behind us.

That doesn't point to Slade - a Tan appointment - being sacked.

However, if he does go through the exit door and the club are looking at the pool of 'out of work and available' UK managers, I would much rather Nigel Pearson to Brenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 11:13
    Rodgers managerial record is not that great apart from a decent spell at Swansea. At Watford he lost his first 13 games and finished mid table while at Reading he left the club/sacked one place above relegation. Rodgers might be better than Slade -but probably not much - but would be likely to have his sights on a better club than CCFC simply for his one good season at Liverpool.
    Beat me too it.

The real question here is why is Keyser Soze trying to drum up this rumour?

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 11:18
    Other than Swansea has Rodgers really done anything else anywhere?
    That's what the other guy said...

I would not rule anything out in football.I would imagine Rodgers pay off at LFC contains a clause re future employment etc.There are loads of good managers out there but getting a big name is not always the answer.Most of Swansea's appointments were not big name managers.Slade has done ok given what he has had to work with.His biggest mistake is the strikers.If he could get that sorted out I think our chances of top six are very good.I would be careful what we wish for as in our case it has a nasty habit of biting us in the backside eg Ole.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrong Side of the Severn wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 11:13
    That's what the other guy said...

I've got your back TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 10:27
    Quote Originally Posted by qccfc wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 10:26
    Any half decent manager would think the same.
    I just cannot see Tan talking to him

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Jimmy wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 11:09
    I think it's' probably laughable that Rodgers would come here - for the same reasons that everyone else has said.
    That is why so many have come in and simply carried on the original work of Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi wrote on Tue, 03 November 2015 11:22
    The real question here is why is Keyser Soze trying to drum up this rumour?
    Untwist thy knickers, sweetie.