+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: No more shadow home secretary for him then!

Re: No more shadow home secretary for him then!

Judging by that headline, it seems this is yet another examples of those involved in politics treating it as a game of "who can sit on the most seats?".

A debate about the best way to defend democracy and save lives has absolutely failed, no matter how passionate/intellectual/true the points made in the debate, when it starts with the prime minister calling those against bombing "terrorist sympathisers" and finishes with the decision to drop bombs on another nation being cheered.

He may be the next leader of the Labour party after that performance.

Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 07:32
    Judging by that headline, it seems this is yet another examples of those involved in politics treating it as a game of "who can sit on the most seats?".
    Ain't that the truth. Although I reckon the cheering was more about the government defeating jeremy Corbyn, it certainly won't come across that way.

When was the cheering. When the results were announced there was no cheating on the news live coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 09:51
    When was the cheering. When the results were announced there was no cheating on the news live coverage.
    Agree. I didn't hear any cheering actually; I'd have hoped that was the case on such a serious decision but you never know with some of the "hooray Henry" characters amongst our MPs.

Banned

The only cheering was at the end of benn the youngers speach,the vote result was met with a dignified silence,you should know by now that the boards resident lefties never miss a chance to lie if they think they can get away with it.

Hilary Benn is a decent man and even though I disagreed strongly with the content of his speech it was still a magnificent piece of oratory.. One of the finest I've heard and streets ahead of any other parliamentarian advocating airstrikes.

Benn is certainly no hawk either and that speech was delivered with the passion of a man genuinely driven by humanitarian motives. Tragically, however altruistic his aims, i think he's badly mistaken and I really feel that our military intervention in Syria will be added to a long list of British Middle East disasters, perhaps the biggest of the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 10:51
    The only cheering was at the end of benn the youngers speach,the vote result was met with a dignified silence,you should know by now that the boards resident lefties never miss a chance to lie if they think they can get away with it.
    So Surge is complaining that people cheered (what is being reported as) a great speech? And trying to turn it into a cheer for going to war, when there was certainly no cheer when the vote was announced.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 10:55
    So Surge is complaining that people cheered (what is being reported as) a great speech? And trying to turn it into a cheer for going to war, when there was certainly no cheer when the vote was announced.
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by goslow wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 11:46
    Correct
    Cameron isn't fit to be leader of this country.

we can all watch it online, its on the news, the cheering was after Benn's speech, it was a great speech, we can all see that, but i guess if you didnt agree with him, its not what you wanted to hear and thus people will try and convince themselves it didnt happen

Been showed that he is head and shoulders above Corbyn.He stands out from the rest and looks a leader.I would not be surprised if some of the moderates will get behind in a bid to make him the main man.Corbyns days are numbered after this.

It is such a difficult decision I tend to agree with arguments on both sides. Benn, however, was very inspiring and I would welcome him as Labour Leader. Cameron was a disgrace quite frankly but that's hardly a surprise.

That speach and the way he conducted himself makes me think that if he was the labour leader, then he would get my vote, Corbyn never would

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 18:03
    That speach and the way he conducted himself makes me think that if he was the labour leader, then he would get my vote, Corbyn never would
    I really had high hopes that Corbyn would save the party, he hasnt, he just comes across as a stubborn old man who you arguing with anyone who will listen a

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 07:48
    He may be the next leader of the Labour party after that performance.
    Apart from the slime bag MPs who voted with the eton twits

Correct
    It should break your heart to send planes off to drop bombs. No speech calling for war is a great speech.

Quote Originally Posted by alfie sherwood wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 10:53
    Hilary Benn is a decent man and even though I disagreed strongly with the content of his speech it was still a magnificent piece of oratory.. One of the finest I've heard and streets ahead of any other parliamentarian advocating airstrikes.
    His father would be ashamed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by surge wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 21:35
    Correct
    It should break your heart to send planes off to drop bombs. No speech calling for war is a great speech.
    For the zillionth time,we were already at war with isis.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 21:39
    Benn is certainly no hawk either and that speech was delivered with the passion of a man genuinely driven by humanitarian motives. Tragically, however altruistic his aims, i think he's badly mistaken and I really feel that our military intervention in Syria will be added to a long list of British Middle East disasters, perhaps the biggest of the lot.
    As I said in before, there is a lot going on behind the scenes of which we know nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 21:55
    Seems everyone has forgotten about Benn saying this only 3 weeks ago..
    Even for a labour politician, 3 weeks is a short turnaround..

Quote Originally Posted by tommy31 wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 21:59
    Quote Originally Posted by Observer wrote on Thu, 03 December 2015 21:55
    Seems everyone has forgotten about Benn saying this only 3 weeks ago..
    His father would be ashamed.
    That is how it works, a hidden hand is always lurking in the shadows

Andy Burnham is shadow Home Secretary. Hilary Benn is shadow Foreign Secretary. It was a good, passionate speech even though I disagreed with much of it. Both Cameron and Corbyn were dreadful.