+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slade certainly writing FA Cup off

Re: Slade certainly writing FA Cup off

I pretty much agree with Bob.
    My take is that the season is far from over and it's ludicrous to suggest it is when we are 4 points off 6th.

I'd be unhappy if any key players were risked.

We be got plenty of fringe players who should have a point to prove , and apart from centre half we have lots of options.
    In another thread a few of us named good sides without risking our core

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 05:56
    I'm very interested in what the team looks like on Sunday and will be more upset if we see a team little changed from last Saturday than I would be with one that sees a few squad players included.
    What that tells me is FA cup attendances at home are not a true reflection of our home support.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 10:09
    I'm very interested in what the team looks like on Sunday and will be more upset if we see a team little changed from last Saturday than I would be with one that sees a few squad players included.
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 05:56
    While I believe Russell Slade will have to show a flair and an expertise in the transfer market which he has not even remotely suggested he possesses up to now if we are to finish in the top six, I find it ludicrous that people should say that we cannot finish in a Play Off place when there are still so many points up for grabs. I can remember Palace being promoted in 03/04 when they were in the same sort of position going into the new year that, say, MK Dons are in now.
    I honestly don't know where you get that figure of 15,000 diehard fans from - it makes no allowance for away fans and, anyway our average attendance this season is below that at 14,337. If you really believe our league crowds can't get any lower than they now, then all I can say is you haven't been supporting us that long - no matter how you want to define the term, there's no way we have 15,000 "diehard fans".

It's almost as if die hard is a superfluous word that isn't worth having its definition debated.

That's a hell of a record Bob.
    I don't think anyone could argue against you being a die hard 👍

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 10:54
    While I believe Russell Slade will have to show a flair and an expertise in the transfer market which he has not even remotely suggested he possesses up to now if we are to finish in the top six, I find it ludicrous that people should say that we cannot finish in a Play Off place when there are still so many points up for grabs. I can remember Palace being promoted in 03/04 when they were in the same sort of position going into the new year that, say, MK Dons are in now.
    What I do not want to see is someone like Marshall, Connolly, Manga, Ralls, Gunnarsson or Watt picking up a long term injury on Sunday in a tournament that we are not going to win - can't help thinking that at least the two centrebacks will start though.
    The point I am making which you seemed to overlook Is the fact that the 3rd round of the FA cup does not attract a big crowd no matter what our league attendance is. I won't be there on Sunday either make of that what you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 11:41
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 10:54
    What I do not want to see is someone like Marshall, Connolly, Manga, Ralls, Gunnarsson or Watt picking up a long term injury on Sunday in a tournament that we are not going to win - can't help thinking that at least the two centrebacks will start though.
    Finally, how can we have 15,000 diehard fans when we'll do well to get a third of that on Sunday? To say we have 15,000 diehards is to believe that our drop in attendances has bottomed out - if we drift off into mid table mediocrity in the second half of the season, then there'll be fewer again the ground in 16/17.
    In the past, FA Cup Third Round attendances have been below average league gates pretty often, but I'd say they have been above them almost as often. There was a non footballing excuse for the low crowd against Colchester last season, but, if tomorrow's crowd is as low as it promises to be, then we've had pretty pathetic gates for our home Third Round FA Cup matches in the last two years - attendances which compare very poorly with those of the last half a century or so for similar matches.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 13:43
    Finally, how can we have 15,000 diehard fans when we'll do well to get a third of that on Sunday? To say we have 15,000 diehards is to believe that our drop in attendances has bottomed out - if we drift off into mid table mediocrity in the second half of the season, then there'll be fewer again the ground in 16/17.
    The 20090/10 season we were averaging over 20,000 for league fixtures yet when we played our arch rivals Bristol City in the 3 rd of the FA cup we could only manage an attendance of 6741?
    There will be a poor crowd tomorrow for lots of reasons but the 15,000 will be back for the bread and butter game against Rotherham.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 15:30
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 13:43
    The 20090/10 season we were averaging over 20,000 for league fixtures yet when we played our arch rivals Bristol City in the 3 rd of the FA cup we could only manage an attendance of 6741?
    What that tells me is FA cup attendances at home are not a true reflection of our home support.
    The idea 15,000 people turn up to home games well up for it is ridiculous. Maybe 150 or so do but the other 14,000 odd turn up out of habit and sit there in silence for 90 mins apart from maybe the odd boo at the end.

I'm not going. Kick-off times inconvenient for our car full when its on S4C.

What would Wednesday's team look like if we spanked Shrewsbury 6-0?

Quote Originally Posted by Tandy wrote on Sat, 09 January 2016 15:30
    Still, you enjoy watching tonight's game from your armchair/sofa at home or your seat down the pub and after it you can go back to being a "diehard" fan again .

Bob's definition of a die hard is never leaving South Wales in your whole life other than the odd holiday and prioritising a football team over everything else in your life. So you'd never get an exiled die hard even if they have a season ticket and go to quite a lot of games.

I think a die hard is someone who's had a season ticket for a while and goes to quite a few away games even when the team isn't doing well. But really it's just another word in football that has no actual definition and isn't worth discussing along with "world class".

Bob fair play to all that commitment you've put in but what a waste.

I've got into this discussion more to say what I believe a "diehard" is not than what one is - for me, a diehard is certainly not someone who criticises other supporters for their so called negative attitude towards the team and then announces he's not bothering to go to their next home match!

I accept it's different in terms of money spent and travelling time for exiles, but, essentially, as we are talking about home games only, it means someone is setting aside about a week of their life every year for travel and watching time spent supporting their team - hardly "prioritising a football team over everything else in your life".

I agree though that "diehard" is one of those terms that people will never agree about.

Tis a pity.the thread has got a bit personal. The commitment that the likes of TOBW, Vince Alm and many others put into the club is only to be applauded. They all have lives outside football and to suggest otherwise is unleasant.
    I consider myself a diehard supporter but living and working in West Wales means my trips to CCS are not regular, but I live and breathe City, never have and never will support another team. I know of many others who cannot go regularly who are like me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn wrote on Sun, 10 January 2016 12:12
    Tis a pity.the thread has got a bit personal. The commitment that the likes of TOBW, Vince Alm and many others put into the club is only to be applauded. They all have lives outside football and to suggest otherwise is unleasant.
    However I think the club needs our support today and would love to see our fans getting down there in numbers - at least the ones that can, sadly it feels like we are slipping back to the 80s and many fans are losing interest now there is no longer the excitement of promotion challenges and cup finals

Sadly I just remembered posting this one.

Well, if Slade was deliberately disrespecting the spirit of the FA Cup to get knocked out, he is a genius.

O Keefe, Macheda, Tamas, Kennedy, Macheda and Revell all started and that is more than 50% of the side made up of players Slade does not want in the first 11.

S4C are calling it "sioc fawr" but this was far from a shock, this was almost a given.

Diabolical.